Spirulina and Green Barley?

lucis22

hey everyone,

I am reading It Starts With Food right now, getting very enthusiastic about the program, planning to start soon and thinking about everything that I will need to eliminate from my life..
I found the majority of answers either on the website, or this forum, but I am still missing information about Spirulina  and/or Green Barley Juice. the brand I am using now provides both spirulina and green barley in high quality with no additives, so my only concern now is whether it is possible to eat spirulina, being a sort of an "algae" (said with much of a simplification) and green barley, not being the grain, but the grass, on the Whole30.
I will be very grateful for any reactions,
Lucia

You can have Spirulina. You can have Green Barley Juice too (because, as you mention, it's the grass not the seed that you consume). That said, we would recommend strongly that you focus on whole foods during your whole30. That's where the real nutrient density will be found.

ps. I have never seen a green juice mix that did not contain at least a little something off plan (usually sweetener, sometimes grains as well). If you want to include this I would recommend posting the ingredients list or a link so we can confirm it is ok.

• 7 months later...

You can have Spirulina. You can have Green Barley Juice too (because, as you mention, it's the grass not the seed that you consume). That said, we would recommend strongly that you focus on whole foods during your whole30. That's where the real nutrient density will be found.

ps. I have never seen a green juice mix that did not contain at least a little something off plan (usually sweetener, sometimes grains as well). If you want to include this I would recommend posting the ingredients list or a link so we can confirm it is ok.

I'm still not understanding why spirulina is not consider "nutrient dense", as it is a superfood. 

If a whole30 participant is using spirulina or green foods powder in water with no additives and is whole30-compliant, why is it not allowed? (I can only find the "drinking your food isn't chewing" rule.)

As someone who is working out several times a week with rigorous strength and cardio training, my muscles need more protein to recover. However, we refuse to buy more meat, as we want to be more plant based, and because we can't afford to eat the good meat required for whole30 in mass quantities. 

Surely, as a plan with options for vegans and vegetarians, you allow something as simple as spirulina or chlorella powder as a supplement, not a food replacement. 

• Moderators

As missmary said, it is allowed.

We discourage it because we want you to get used to preparing foods rather than relying on shakes or smoothies. No powder in a can is as good as whole foods.

From The official "Can I Have" Guide:

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No

Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia.

However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?

Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.agsGiPZt.dpuf

• Administrators

we can't afford to eat the good meat required for whole30 in mass quantities. 

Just to clarify on this point. There are no rules around organic or grass fed or quality of meat.  You buy and eat what your dollar can afford.  You remove visible fat and drain meats that were raised conventionally and that's it.  

Archived