Day 4 & can't stomach anything.

scornell

Okay so this is my first whole 30 and I have been experiencing a lot of nausea pretty much from the start. I have been working diligently to balance proteins, fats and veggies and a little fruit. I have seen the recommendations to try and eat sweet potato, but even that sounds absolutely repulsive. I am at the point I can barely swallow anything without wanting to gag on it. I do have very brief periods of hunger, but as soon as I take the first bite the nausea is back and I can't eat. So has this happened to anyone else? Is this common? And what did you do?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having similar issues. I'm on day 5. Did well with breakfast, maybe because I incorporated some baked potato with my eggs, cooked collards, mushrooms and beef. It's now lunchtime and I tried making a wrap with a leftover raw collard leaf. I couldn't get through it. Just not a fan. I tried removing the turkey, avocado and red pepper from the collard green leaf and eating it that way too. I just can't do it. I feel nauseous when I try. Added some salt to see if that would help. No luck. Not sure what else to do to stomach it. This has happened with a few other meals where I didn't have a starch involved too. Hoping I get over it soon. Anyone else go through it, and like the original poster asked, do you have suggestions on how to deal with it?

If you need a starchy vegetable with your meal to make it palatable then by all means go for it. Is there any other common denominator between the meals that have made you feel nauseous or between the meals before the meals that made you feel nauseous. You mentioned baked potato...did you eat the skin? I've found personally that potato/sweet potato skins can cause stomach distress for me. Look over all your meals and how you felt and see if you can connect the common things and then try adjusting 1 thing at a time.

Thanks! I have eaten the skin but haven't had upset from that as far as I can tell but will pay closer attention if I do it again. I guess I'm at a loss for what would be a "starchy" vegetable other than potatoes/sweet potatoes. Any suggestions?

Great suggestions. Thanks, GFChris. I'm on day 6. Still having on and off nausea and upset stomach though I've incorporated starch into every meal. I guess it'll just take me some time to get used to. Anyone else gone through something similar on the Wh30?

Of course if you will post what you've been eating for the last several days, sleep, stress levels etc that could help us give you the best suggestions.

I'd love some feedback/help with this so here's a breakdown of my meals the last few days (I'm on day 9 now and still dealing with nausea)...

Day 6

Breakfast: Egg, sausages (4), fried spinach and tomatoes (all cooked in avocado oil).

Lunch: Chicken and sweet potato with ghee.

Snack: Pecans, few slices of salami, larabar

Dinner: Chilli, small baked sweet potato with ghee, and guacamole.

Day 7

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, onion, sweet potato and fried tomato (all cooked in bacon grease).

Lunch: Salad (lettuce/spinach leaves) with chicken and guacamole as a dressing.

Dinner: 8oz filet minon and large sweet potato. Salad with hard boiled egg, cucumber, onion, carrot, cabbage, oil and vinegar.

Snack: Banana, Larabar

Day 8

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onion and peppers fried in avocado oil.

Lunch: Baked cod with ghee, salsa and avocado.

Snack: Salami, Pecans

Dinner: Fajita steak slices, peppers and onions fried in avocado oil. Roasted veggies (yellow squash, turnips, carrots and broccoli) in bacon grease

Day 9

Breakfast: Egg, london broil slices, peppers, onions and sweet potato all cooked in olive oil. Left over roasted veggies.

Lunch: 2 slices salami, 2 slices roast beef, mayo/mustard mixture for dipping, applegate hot dog and roasted veggies.

Snacks: cashews, almonds, pecans, baked plantain chips.

Dinner: Chicken, mushrooms, turnips and sweet potato with ghee.

Let me know how everything looks esp the carbs/fat intake.

Thanks!

Hi, KatyR.

The mix looks about right, but the consistent snacking is an indication that the portions are not enough. The goal is to make your meals big and satisfying enough to last you till the next meal -- about 4-5 hours. This takes some adjustment for a lot of people, but it's the best way to re-set your hormonal rhythms for truly healthful eating. Play around with increasing your meal sizes; at the minimum, be sure to follow the meal template for all meals.

If you really are hungry between meals, it's better to snack with a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies rather than nuts, fruits, and larabars.

Regarding carbs/fat intake: make sure you are eating the minimum fat according to the template, but don't worry about carbs. You're already eating a variety of veggies, which is great, so just concentrate on having satisfying meals that keep you till the next one. That's the best gauge that your carb intake and your meals in general are where they should be.

Good luck!

Hi, KatyR.

The mix looks about right, but the consistent snacking is an indication that the portions are not enough. The goal is to make your meals big and satisfying enough to last you till the next meal -- about 4-5 hours. 

Thanks, GlennR. The issue with eating more is I feel nauseous and can't get very much food down. It's very weird. I will try what you said about snacking on protein/veggies instead of nuts, etc. 

Thanks, GlennR. The issue with eating more is I feel nauseous and can't get very much food down. It's very weird. I will try what you said about snacking on protein/veggies instead of nuts, etc. 

Gotcha. Then, yes, snack this way until (hopefully) you get past the nausea and are able to adjust to sticking to just three meals. Good luck!

Archived