Doing a Whole60. Question about weighing in

maditch

If you are doing a whole30 and decide to extend it to a whole60 does weighing in at the completion of your original whole30 (so in essence day 31) mean that you actually have to start over on day one and consider it two back to back whole30s rather than a whole60? Some seem to think that? Can you let me know?

the whole60 isn't really a thing. I know, lots of people do them but there is no formal set of rules or guidelines for how you proceed after day 30 or what you call it at that point. It is up to you.

For me personally, I weighed on day 31, and again on day 61 and 91 and so on for more than a year. I think once a month is probably the most I would recommend anybody weigh themselves, but once a month is ok. That said: At the moment I can not remember the last time I weighed myself (its been months and months) and I am SO GLAD. Weight isn't a particularly good indicator of health or attractiveness or worthiness or...anything,...really, so the sooner you can forget about that metric the better.

Weighing myself only once a month is probably the best decision I've ever made while actively trying to move that number from one altitude to another over the past year.  When we're making progress in getting to a plateau that pleases us, the reinforcement can be very motivating.  As I approach a more comfortable and safe for humans locale on the scale, it absolutely becomes a dust gatherer.  Now my favorite clothes give me all the feedback I need.

Ahhhh, the motivation of tight pants.   I know it well.   I put them on briefly - they aren't wearable for any real length of time.   I don't need a digital scale.   GFChris told me to get rid of it and I really did.   It never gave me the same reading twice in a 5 second span.    I only know where I'm at because of follow-up dr. appts.   I took this advice and I'm so glad.

Please please please hide the scale until your Whole30 is done.  It is such a fundamental rule of the program and for changing your relationship with food. Focus instead on how you're feeling and what you're noticing physically, emotionally and energy-wise as you go through the process.

~Chris

A couple things:

- the Whole30 isn't a cleanse - it's a start to changing your relationship with food.

- don't aim for feeling perfect (not sure that perfect is out there 100% of the time). Aim for feeling good/great, more often than not. 

- on the snacking thing, the idea is not to graze (re: balancing hormonal rhythms), and not to snack out of habit or boredom. Focus on creating meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, using the recommended meal template,  to help minimize snacking.  If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Glad to hear you're not weighing during your Whole30.  Take a look at this article that powerfully illustrates the meaningless of the scale's number. http://everydaypaleo...addicts-part-2/

~Chris

Archived