Starting Sun Jan 25

V_Craver

Day 4...solid. I went out for lunch and actually enjoyed it. I am looking at beanless chili recipes for Sunday...am I missing something? I have already made a couple of mistakes on accident...dang that altoid I popped today.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so until today i have been fine. no weird physical reactions other than brussels sprouts bloating (ha). but this afternoon when i was leaving the gym i all of a sudden felt so FEISTY! there was a girl standing in the stairwell, totally in the way, and i got so annoyed that she was blocking traffic. this isn't normally like me! i called my best friend who has done a similar challenge and she talked me out of my funk. anyone else feeling snippy? 

Christinsorso- I am by no way an expert, but you may get hungry. 1 egg isn't enough protien. I have learned from lurking in this forum, the moderators recommend a "handful" of protein which for most is 3-4 eggs. And you need to have veggies with all meals. Just check out the meal template, it will guide you in the right direction.

Good Luck all!

Thanks for pointing this out,  Volchick.   Nuts are fats and not proteins.

GFChris

Whole9 Moderator Since July 26, 2013

• photo-thumb-28123.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4466 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Nuts and nut butters are considered fats, not proteins, on a Whole30.  As Roz said, a Whole30 snack is a mini-meal including at least a protein and healthy fat. Think of a piece of chicken with olives, tuna with paleo mayo, hard boiled egg with your cashew butter on celery.

~Chrs

Advanced Member

•  
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

The key is to make sure you get enough fat - and that is good quality satiating fat. Nuts are OK in moderation but they are easy to over-eat. You only need a handful to hit your meal limit for fat but I know from experience I can eat several handfuls without thinking about it.

It's also OK to feel a little hungry. You don't have to feel 'full' all of the time. Work on enjoying the feeling of looking forward to your next meal.

• Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4466 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

Nuts in limited quantities are considered a fat source on a Whole30. The shopping list is a good starting reference for protein, vegetable and fat sources.

While the fruit, nut and coconut breakfasts are technically compliant, they're not the best choice since, among other things, they're missing protein and vegetables.  You're correct in that, for best results, Whole30 recommends that each meal fit the meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. 

•  

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5728 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

If you need to eat between meals, you are not eating enough at meals. And when you eat between meals, we recommend a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies. Eating no nuts at all is best for most people because nuts are foods with no brakes for most folks. It is best when you consume nuts that they are part of a recipe and not as a separate item on the menu or as a snack. 

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.who

l

Brewer5

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-44471.jpg?_r=1420087870
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

The snacks of fruit & nuts are really not ok.  Nuts on a Whole 30 are considered FAT, as the protein in them is not a complete protein -- they do not contain all of the essential amino acids.  So you are eating fat & sugar for these snacks.  That is definitely not ideal.

•  

missmary

Whole9 Moderator Since Nov 6, 2013

• photo-thumb-2484.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 2763 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

Have you looked at the meal template? You meals should each contain a palm-size serving of protein, a thumb size portion of fat and "the rest of your plate" filled with vegetables. That's 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal. If you are hungry between meals (really hungry, not just bored or in the habit of snacking) then have a mini-meal consisting of protein, fat and vegetables. Fruit smoothies (or green ones for that matter) and nuts do not meet this recommendation.

I would focus on getting the minimum portions in the meal template and the fat will sort itself out.

For the purposes of the template, bacon and nuts are both fat sources, really, not protein. Add some other protein (and some vegetables) to your meal #1.

•  

GFChris

Whole9 Moderator Since July 26, 2013

• Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4466 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

On a Whole30, almond butter is considered a fat, not a protein.  Take a look at the Whole30 shopping list to get an idea of other protein sources besides eggs and red meat.

2-3 servings of fruit throughout the day is ok. However, the recommendation is to have it as part of your main meals and not a snack. Also, avoid having all fruit servings at once (especially at breakfast), to avoid a sugar spike.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal containing protein, veg and fat.

Hey all! I kept meaning to check in with this thread, but then I just had a few quick minutes each day to update my personal log here on the forum. So, hey!

Seems that everyone is doing alright? It's been a breeze here on this end, thankfully--and due entirely to a great mindset and excellent support.

Dinner today was cauliflower soup, greens with (compliant) ham, and chicken. Feeling amazing, and digging how good my skin looks :)

Happy Saturday!

Hope everyone is still going strong. Today is day 9 for me and I'm re-evaluating a few of the choices I've made in the last week (I've been compliant but have definitely had too many nuts and dried fruit in a SWYPO style) and am looking forward to making some changes today. 

Last night was hard - I was at a banquet dinner to celebrate finishing a qualification and there was nowhere near enough food. Everyone else filled up on bread and wine but I stayed strong and resisted and had some more protein and fat when I got in. Phew! 

Looks like everyone is hangin in there and doing good.  Day 10 today, still going strong, feeling really good, a lot better than I used to feel. Cooked an awesome Shepherd's Pie from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed with a side salad, was fantastic.  Everyone keep it up almost half way there.

Still here! Have had a few hiccups, but really feel great. I have lost weight...I know, I am not supposed to weigh, but also belong to weight watchers. I really feel that for me this is not a 30 day plan, but rather a life plan. Tonight is seafood Saturday with tilapia and sautéed spinach. Yum. I signed up with a CSA farm this week, and will be getting fresh organic produce delivered weekly. It will be a mystery basket...just like on Chopped :)

Glad you feel great!! I'm doing well too...I struggle a bit on the weekends because a lot of social activity revolves around a cold beer, so I'm just trying to stay busy to avoid feeling like I'm missing out on social events! Haven't had any kind of extra energy yet, but my eating habits before this were pretty poor so I'm not sure if that will ever kick in for me. We will see!! We are just about half way there!!

Hello everyone.  I started on Jan 26, so this is Day 15 for me.  I loved reading your posts, because I could identify with many of them.  Week 1 was so hard for me.........hungry all the time.  I am an endurance athlete, and I workout all the time at high intensity.  I also don't love to shop or cook, so I have been getting by and staying compliant by keeping it simple.  So, sometimes I don't get enough food, b/c I  just don't want to eat one more egg, or one more piece of chicken. I also think i eat too many almonds and too much fruit.  I'm tweaking and figuring out pre and post workout meals, plus breakfast, which is tough for me.  I like eggs and veggies, but prefer to have fruit with it.  Mostly I miss wine!!!!  My energy level is good and now my workouts are good again, and my mood is great!!!!  I think for this week my goal is to try some new foods, add some spices, and try out a few new recipes, so I don't get bored.  If I get bored, I'm likely to revert to fruits and nuts.  I do  love munching on raw veggies, so that is good!  I'm also drinking too much coffee, b/c I like a comforting ritual.  Have a great day! Halfway there! 

Archived