Day 28, still have runny nose when I eat

So I've noticed over the last few years that my nose runs when I eat. Pretty much every time. Even though I've been straight up clean and Whole30-compliant for the past 28 days, it is still runs when I begin eating. I'm not eating much fruit, mostly the acceptable sources of protein and vegetables. Just ate some cauliflower rice and chicken tod mun and with the first bite, I had to go get a tissue. 

Although, as I type this, I realize that I am not always eating only grass-fed meat. So maybe there's something there that's triggering the runny nose? Any other ideas? Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I'd been doing fine on the W30, but in the last few days I've noticed that I get a runny nose after eating.  It's not severe and it only lasts five or ten minutes, but it really bugs me because I thought all of the respiratory nonsense went away when I stopped eating dairy.

A search brought me to this thread and the low-histamine list.  In an attempt to save some money on protein, I've been eating more canned tuna, sardines and anchovies.  And lunch today included sauerkraut and leftover chicken.  So it looks like I need to cut a few more things out of my diet.

I've seen people suggest completing a Whole30 and *then* doing a specialized Whole30.  What's the reasoning behind that?  I'm currently on Day 14, after two restarts (where I ate mostly clean).  If you count those, I've been on or mostly on W30 for 48 days!  With 37 more days until I'm done with reintroduction.  I plan to do a very slow, scientific reintroduction and then keep mostly Whole30 at home and reasonably Whole30 outside.  If it was just me, I'd be fine with adding another month, but I find myself avoiding social situations because they're just too much of a hassle.

And a question for Tom: Haven't you said on the forums that you usually eat sauerkraut and sardines for breakfast?  Maybe it's not normal to have to blow your nose after meals.  ;-)

My nasal congestion has gone having cut out dairy, but the need to blow my nose after eating has remained - I figured it was because the nose & throat (& ears) are all internally linked.... 

• Moderators

That's interesting. I eat sauerkraut for breakfast a couple of times a week (and at other times of the day, occasionally) and have never noticed this. I'll pay extra attention but I love the results of eating Whole30, I breathe through my nose now at all times!

Archived