i need to know if my cooked fruit is compliant Im on day13 of my first w30

crafty_cheri2005

I fixed a bowl of mixed fruit, apples pears and peaches all fresh in the oven all I added was almond flour to keep it from boiling over and sprinkled the top with nuts that I toasted with ghee. I always cook Apple's and pears as I've had stomach surgery in the past and this makes it easier to digest. But when I posted it on the whole 30 Facebook page everyone said it is Swypo. I used the same topping on the chicken I baked so is this Swypo too?

• Administrators

Hmmm....I would venture to say that your FB group probably thought it smacked of SWYPO because it sounds an awful lot like trying to get close to a fruit crisp. That was my first impression.

I would suggest that you examine your context. If you are eating this cooked fruit as a sweet treat or as a dessert, it would probably not be appropriate for your Whole30.

SWYPO is a bit greyer than "don't make pancakes", this is up to you to be completely honest with yourself in order to make the best possible decision about it. In my opinion this dish does not help you gain optimal results.

Well considering I don't like fruit crisps. And that I had bariatric surgery 6 years ago and haven't eaten anything with sugar since then cause it makes me sick. I think it's safe to say I wasn't trying to make a fake pie. Because of my surgery I can't eat a lot of raw veggies either. They get stuck in the new opening they made in my stomach. Things like carrots, broccoli cauliflower,radishes,cabbage, celery if it's real stringy. I just can't digest it. If I'm going to try to imitate a Swypo food it would be BREAD. But I really did not think that I should have to post the fact that I had that surgery to the world. I lost 135 pounds and dropped 12 sizes. So I am very careful what I choose to make.

Just a little bit of context as I am part of the Facebook group she posted this to. Here is what she said: "So today is day 13 AND my birthday 55 so I made this compliant fruit dish for supper. This is fresh sweet apples, pears, and peaches, a dash of cinnamon a sprinkle of salt to bring out the sweetness of the fruit. And two tsp of tapioca flour to thicken. The topping is almond flour almond meal 2 tbs each. A few raw pecans and a few raw English walnuts broken into pieces dash on cinnamon and a sprinkle of salt and and mixed with 2 tbs of home made ghee sprinkle nut topping on fruit after is starts to bubble as you am need to stir fruit once. Too hot to taste but it looks and smells wonderful."  She put this dish into a pie dish, so it looked like a crustless pie to celebrate her birthday. The users of the Facebook group told her that 1) this would not be an appropriate dinner choice as it didn't follow the template and 2) it was SWYPO since she was using it as a birthday treat. I agree with both sentiments for the record.

As you said it is a fruit dish not a pie and it was in a casserole dish and my explaining how I seasoned the fruit as anyone would explain how they would season their veggies or meat and for the record as you say I suggested to use a sweet variety of Apple as they get quite tart when you cook then and you can counter that with a tiny bit of salt. Trust me I am a fantastic cook and if I'd wanted it to be a pie it would have looked and tasted like a pie Lol. And again if this is Swypo then so is veggie pasta and cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash because all of these dishes are subs for dishes you can't live with out. All I wanted was cooked Apples for Pete sake.Lol I feel no guilt so neither should you :-)

Even if you take SWYPO out of the discussion, this fruit dish was being used as an almost desserty treat for your birthday, so that's something for you to ponder.  Also, the recommendation on fruit is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist: this concoction might have exceeded the serving size recommendation in one sitting.  

On a separate issue, it's recommended to have fruit as part of a template-based meal, not on its own. To that end, this mixture isn't the best choice for supper, as it's missing protein and vegetables.  For that, the recommendation is to meet the meal template of protein, veg and fat. You want to avoid letting fruit push vegetables off your plate.

It was a side dish, and I posted it as a side dish., because it was pretty not to get condemned to you know where. I never once said it was a dessert or a treat. I did say it was my birthday, but even off w30, I do not make myself cakes or pie for my birthday. I don't eat sweets. Just because you all are missing your sugar does not mean that I do as I do not eat sugar to begin with. This was simply my way to add fruit to a meal. The whole dish had 3pieces of fruit and it was for two people and has lasted for 3 plus meals as half of it is still in the fridge. My reasons for doing whole 30 is this. I'm doing this because I happen to love my husband very much and since I had my weight loss bypass surgery 6 years ago and lost 135# my skinny hubby has started eating rotten. I told him I was doing this diet to help me get back to eating less bread as that is my weakness not pie. There are many foods that I can not tolerate any more as I simply cannot digest them. Hard crunchy fruits and veggies and greasy fatty things are the worst. I get dumping syndrome when I eat any processed sugar. You'll have to look that up.Anyway i had been adding to many carbs to my diet. And So has he. As a result I decided to do this to help get back on track. And he decided to see if it would help him too. I am so proud of him as he has always been able to eat ANYTHING he ever wanted and not gain an oz. So when he asked if he could try it with me I said we would do it together. Just so you know.the surgery I had was NOT lap band it was full on by pass surgery and if you all want to know how to struggle on a weight loss plan try getting used to one ounce serving meals of pureed food

S for a whole year. Limited to only 10 -12 food choices .you all wine and cry because you can't eat at your favorite fast food resturants for a month and cry foul because I chose to put a couple of nuts on my apples and because I chose to bake it in a round dish but try making the choice to give up all your favorites for the rest of your life then come back and see me.

• Moderators

Okay, I think everybody needs to take a step back here.

Crafty_cheri, let's give your fb group the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to help you stay on track and get the most out of your Whole30. For many people, the fruit dish you posted would be SWYPO. The fact that it's lasted you for multiple meals is a good sign that for you, it's not causing you any problems. (If I'd made something similar, I can guarantee you that it would not last multiple meals, it would be too much like dessert *for me* and I would eat it all in one sitting -- just like I would with a non-W30 dessert -- but that's me and my sugar issues. Everyone is different.) If you don't feel like they have your best interests at heart, you could always keep a log here on the forum or join a group here -- although if you posted a picture of this dessert and didn't explain the context, that it was part of a meal, that you didn't eat but maybe 1/4 of it, that it isn't something you make all the time, you'd more than likely have been told it was SWYPO by them too. Context really makes a difference here. 

By the way, congratulations on your weight loss, and on making the decision to help your husband eat healthier as well. I hope you continue on and that you both see amazing benefits from this.

taylorashleyd and Mybeachhouse -- I'm sure you're just trying to make sure everyone in your group stays on the straight & narrow here, but sometimes, you just need to let things go. We're all adults here and capable of making our own decisions. I like that you're wanting to make sure everyone follows the rules. That's good. There are plenty of groups out there that are quick to allow bending of the rules, and it drives me crazy. Even before I became a moderator, the people who would say they were doing a Whole30 while they ate banana pancakes every morning and Larabars for afternoon snacks every day drove me nuts. So I get the desire to emphasize the rules. But in the end, you can only control your own food. It's not a bad thing to point out to someone that there might be issues with their meals, but it's enough to point it out, and then let them make their own decisions. 

Finally, I want to mention that sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the Whole30 isn't a punishment, it isn't about deprivation. It's okay, and even encouraged, to eat foods that taste good. Fruit is okay to eat. Even cooked fruit is okay to eat. It's best not to have it all the time, but to have it occasionally is fine. Is it a good choice for everyone? No -- as I mentioned above, had I made exactly the same dish, I would have eaten it all at one sitting. And then probably craved more. Every person has to consider their own context and make a decision. And if they decide it's not a problem for them, whether we agree with them or not, we have to accept it, because we're not inside their head and cannot know for sure, and ultimately they are grownups making their own decisions. And that's really the point of Whole30, in the end. To help each person understand their own reactions to foods, both physical and emotional, and make informed decisions for the rest of their life based on what they learn.

Archived