Whole 30 Food is Gross!

I was just going to add (not sure if you are still trying) that I get compliant bacon online at US Wellness Meats. It is delish! Super thick cut, 1.5 lb packages, I thaw one at a time and eat for days! They also sell sausage and HOT DOGS, all compliant

I think, maybe, your palate has been trained to seek and enjoy artificial textures, tastes, and sensations.

Whole 30 food is, indeed, simply food. But if you've had a lifestyle of foods (I believe) are literally designed to create the need for more, and to change the taste buds, you may need to be patient was your body resets back to a more intuitive/organic food need.

Back when I was a crunchy earth mama, I remember reading about how dairy can change (and limit) the taste buds in certain people. And how the processed and fast food industry relies on the changed taste buds.

It's not that "Whole 30 food it gross." It's not even "Whole 30" food like Weight Watchers food or Atkins Nutritionals food. Whole 30 food is simply food.

It includes fresh foods, healthfully prepared. The fact that you *don't* like a variety of it demonstrates a need for a reset.

They're selling N.S. food at Wally's now....you know, food delivery.   I slapped myself when I read the ingredients for one small breakfast item.

ROLLED OATS, CORN SYRUP, SOY NUGGETS (ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, RICE STARCH), SUGAR, SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN (ADDED AS AN EMULSIFIER), VANILLA EXTRACT), POLYDEXTROSE, GLYCERIN, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE (ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, SOY LECITHIN), BROWN SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL, MOLASSES, SEA SALT. 

Or this one...

WATER, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, INULIN SYRUP, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, SUGAR, DEFATTED SOY FLOUR, RAISIN PASTE, WHITE CONFECTIONERY COATING (SUGAR, PALM KERNEL OIL AND PALM OIL, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (COLOR), NONFAT MILK, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: GLYCERIN, MALTITOL, FOOD STARCH-MODIFIED, PALM OIL, RESISTANT MALTODEXTRIN, CINNAMON, EGGS, BAKING SODA, NATURAL BROWNED BUTTER FLAVOR, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CORN FIBER, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM CARBOXYMETHLYCELLULOSE, REBAUDIOSIDE A, MONK FRUIT EXTRACT, ENZYMES.

My sister ordered several months of this food but was unable to eat it beyond a few days. When a person lives on these chemicals for weight loss, what state of health are you left in afterwards. :P 

One more, the dinner item. It this doesn't make you want to throw a steak or burger on the grill...well, I just can't say.  Real whole foods are wonderful.   But these....yuck, I need a bucket. 

CRUST (BLEACHED FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR], WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, DIETARY FIBER (CHICORY), SOYBEAN OIL, SUGAR, SOY FLOUR, YEAST, SODIUM REPLACER [NATURAL FLAVOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT], SALT, DOUGH CONDITIONER [WHEY, AMMONIUM SULFATE, L-CYSTEINE]),CHEESE BLEND(LOW MOISTURE PART SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE [PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES], LOW MOISTURE WHOLE MILK MOZZARELLA CHEESE [PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES]), MARINARA SAUCE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE, OLIVE OIL, MARINARA SEASONING [sUGAR, SALT, SPICES, PARSLEY, GARLIC OIL], PARMESAN CHEESE [CULTURED PART SKIM MILK, SALT, ENZYMES], CELLULOSE POWDER (ANTI-CAKING), TOMATOES, PARMESAN CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, CELLULOSE (ANTI-CAKING), BASIL. 

The issue for the original poster is that it seems that she is subsisting on Costco foods. You can't just eat out of a bag or a little avocado tray and all that Kirkland stuff and expect it to stay palatable: as everyone has commented, you need to play with cooking a bit. 

I am so sorry that your whole30 is not a great experience so far. If you hate veggies or normally don't eat veggies this can be tough.

It is possible that because you are used to grabbing premade food that you are not used to cooking from scratch. It does take some planning but once you get the hang of it, it is not that hard. I like to cook one meal that will give me left overs for the next day like roast chicken, meat loaf, soup, etc.

Do you like to eat hamburgers? or turkey burgers? You can make a compliant burger with ketchup, mayo, mustard, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes it just takes planning to make compliant condiments. Do you like hot dogs? I believe the beef hotdogs from Applegate Farms is compliant. Do you like roast chicken? So easy to do and so much faster without traditional stuffing. Then you can snack on the rest for other meals and make bone broth from the carcass. How about deviled eggs? Shrimp stir fry? Baked fish with ghee?  Chicken, baked potato and salad? I hope you can take some time and plan out a menu that you enjoy. Take your favorite foods and make them whole30 (I am not talking about SWYPO foods). Good Luck!

My advice is you have to make time to become a better cook and be willing to try (and fail) at a lot of different recipes. If it matters to you, you'll find the time, even if you have to cook all day on a Sunday. You'll discover spices and seasonings you enjoy, and find out how to cook real food so it tastes delicious. Keep trying with the mayo, because the mayo definitely helps with dips and sauces if you're finding the food bland otherwise. (I made it in my blender yesterday and was shocked when it turned out better than when I used my immersion blender.)

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but... it's true. I used to barely be able to choke down vegetables that weren't chopped tiny or covered in cheese sauce. I couldn't cook, either. I just kept trying recipes. Over and over and over, with lots of fails. I MADE myself eat vegetables I hated... over and over. Because you can learn to like these foods. I'm living proof. I find this diet to be extremely delicious, but part of that is because I've learned (and am still learning) how to cook.  Change is hard or everything would do it! But it is worth it and once you have the skills, you have them forever. (and once you learn, cooking even a recipe with 20 ingredients is a snap. It all becomes easy, and you instinctively know what goes with what and how to cook things so they taste good.)

That's really tough - so sorry! But your level of commitment is commendable! Look at what you are doing for yourself! I hope you can feel proud at this moment even if you are feeling frustrated. I believe you can get through this and that it will get better. You've gotten such good guidance here that mine is barely necessary, but every angle is worth considering and I'll try to be brief. It is going to be a lot of mind over matter for you:

Concentrate on the sense of accomplishment you will feel, even if it hurts now.

You may be feeling depressed from the lack of endorphin rush you'd normally get from the simple starches. Not being a medical expert, I can recommend how to deal with that, but acknowledging this alone may help you think more objectively about your body chemistry. Talking to a therapist could help (it's not for everyone, I just happen to be an advocate for therapy because it has helped me so much). They can often walk you through what you are feeling and why so you can judge it more objectively.

Try to attach the food you are eating with the way you look and feel. I do believe you will make a better association with the foods if you make the connection that they are making you better. It may take another week or so to feel physically better, so hang in there!

Try to attach the food you crave with the reason you started this plan in the first place. You clearly know that it's making you less healthy, so appeal to your intelligence (the adult) rather than your cravings (the child). Sounds goofy, but you need this imagery right now!

Take the time you need to take care of yourself. Take lots of deep breaths, clear your mind, take walks. Don't just change the food! You may need help from family to pick up the slack, but treat your health as something as important as all the other things that take your time. Eventually, it will become habit.

If you can't do it now, do it later, but don't give up on it, just get prepared. Either way, it will get easier.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand how you feel. I love breads etc. and found mornings to be the toughest so far. Everybody eats eggs. I hate them. I can choke them down if I have to but I might literally gag. So, that's not good. I made the most delicious lunch today maybe you would like. 

took some coconut oil in a pan and cut up some chicken breast and stirred it up, added thinly sliced sweet potatoes (didn't even peel them) and red peppers and onions. Sprinkled "Mrs. Dash" on them with some sea salt and it tasted REALLY good. Before this I hated sweet potatoes. But with the coconut oil and the other foods, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and regular potatoes. It was really satisfying and the red pepper is sweet as well as a little onion. 

One thing someone said to me that hit home regarding vegetables or foods I don't love as much as pie, It's not that pie tastes better than (insert good food). They just taste different". Both can be quite good. 

Archived