lemon juice as a drink

Hannlib

My friend just texted me to say she likes to drink neat squeezed fresh lemon juice. I said no fruit juices as beverages but obviously you wouldn't eat an actual lemon. I'm struggling to see why anyone would want to do this, I have a raging sugar Dragon and a glass of neat lemon juice wouldn't float my boat, but she floored me slightly so am interested to know the official stance ....

• Administrators

Lemon juice would be the same as any other fruit juice on Whole30.  Discouraged except for using it as a seasoning/flavouring agent.  If she wants/likes the lemon juice, encourage her to eat the actual lemon.  Juice is the sugars stripped from the fibre of the fruit and hits your system much harder than eating the whole fruit would.  Further, tartness aside, lemons would be considered a piece of fruit and the recommendation is to eat them with or at the end of a balanced template meal, not on their own.

Lots of people use lemon juice in a glass of warm water in the morning or lemon juice to brighten up plain water, that's a suitable use of lemon juice for Whole30.  Just drinking it...not so much.

Archived