Starting Again Feb 16

LissFish

Hello Amanda and Merg!

I had a set back last Saturday so I've started over once again. I woke up, made b'fast and went on an amazing hike at 7:30am. Came home and had a small post workout snack. Then had to get ready for a b'day party. I didn't plan very well and was out of precooked food so went to the party thinking I'd just have a hamburger patty with some veggies. So yea.. I was starving and cranky when I arrived and just said 'Oh well... I'll start over tomorrow.' I didn't go crazy but didn't stay compliant either. So now I'm on 4. Again. :D Planning is key! I won't ever put myself in that position again. I knew it was bad when I considered skipping the party but I can't allow myself to become a social pariah. haha. That night I made meatloaf - original for my honey and Whole30 approved for me. It was delicious!

Amanda, I find coconut flakes help me with my sweet craving without having to resort to fruit. We had meetings Mon & yesterday with catered lunch- sandwiches on big pieces of french bread and Mexican food plus cookies and cake. As stressed as I was I was able to talk myself out of eating what was there instead of my pre-made lunch. I had to order the cake, pick it up, etc. My boss was laughing when they thanked me for getting the cake bc I was munching on coconut flakes at the time.   

I'm at the point where cravings aren't too bad and I know I feel better when I eat Whole30 but I'm still crossing hurdles. One day I will get to Day 30. I can't wait!

I did venture out and make mayo the other day. It's enough to satisfy that "I feel like eating something bad" craving without actually doing it. I used the recipe from the clothes make the girl blog. She has a youtube video as well which made it super easy! 

Glad to hear you two are doing well! Keep up the good work! 

• Administrators

Amanda, I find coconut flakes help me with my sweet craving without having to resort to fruit. We had meetings Mon & yesterday with catered lunch- sandwiches on big pieces of french bread and Mexican food plus cookies and cake. As stressed as I was I was able to talk myself out of eating what was there instead of my pre-made lunch. I had to order the cake, pick it up, etc. My boss was laughing when they thanked me for getting the cake bc I was munching on coconut flakes at the time.   

Coconut is sweet enough that, if you are using it when craving sweets, can keep your seeking/craving behaviour alive and well.  Go for a snack of protein and fat (a less sweet fat, perhaps) and that helps kill the dragon quicker than keeping it alive by giving it what it wants when it pitches a fit.

Keep your chin up Liss!   Life happens and I know all about the sabotagers..... :D  Its tough when no one cares to understand your personal journey... but that is what it is... this is OUR journey.... .  I'd rather start 100 times and finish once then give up after a few re-starts.  You'll do fine, just keep going. 

I have found I can't accept ANY kind of sweetness or I am out of control.... I am a total sugar addict, have been since childhood.  My father was/is an alcoholic... I turned to sugar for calmness, happiness, sadness and everything in between.  I now realize that even coconut would trigger an emotional response of addiction.  I am having fruit once in awhile, but am now even aware that it will lead to the unhealthy binging on crap, so best I stay away from it.  I'm also finding that nut butters and nuts are off limits, because I will turn to those for "comfort" or "stress relief" etc and can't stop at 1 serving  :(   UGH!!!   Until I get a grip on my emotional "whys" and work thru them WITHOUT turning to food, I am trying my best to just stay away.   Not easy.  I do drink tons of water with raw apple cider vinegar to stay full, green and ginger tea for taste and the anise seeds once in awhile are nice.

Social settings can be tough... I have found it easier, being single... to ALWAYS be the designated driver and luckily don't eat out much.

Best luck, hang in there!!!  we're with you!

Amanda

Hello ladies!! I hope its ok if I stride on in to your thread!  :)  I started my second W30 yesterday and am very excited to see what this one brings. What helped me through the hardest days on my first one (last year), was this forum. Being accountable to others is really a driving force for me! My boyfriend and I are doing it together again, and look forward to all of our results!

As for the slip ups - KEEP GOING! You prove that you have more resilience starting over again and again, rather than giving up like most people would. I am very proud of you! 

Lets keep in touch, and we can talk through our dreaded kill all things phase!  :lol:

Melissa

Hi MellyD! Welcome! As Luke Bryan would say "you can crash my party anytime". Haha. From one Melissa to another, thanks for the encouragement. I ate at a friends yesterday - one that is completely understanding of my Whole30 journey and still hit a non-compliant issue. So I start over once again. My boyfriend said "are you ever going to finish?" I said "yes no matter how many times I restart." And I am completely ok with that!

Next weekend is going to be a very unique situation where I am going to try to prep as much as I can but I'll be outside in a warm climate and active for most of the day and am not sure if a cooler will cut it for lunch and dinner. I won't have the option to go out for ice if it melts so we'll see how cold my food stays. Most times at weekends like this I don't even bother to eat lunch or dinner. It will be a challenge and I will do my best. I could say well since I'm starting over anyway why not eat whatever I want for the next week. But I'm not. I like how I feel when I eat compliant and will do it as much as can. If I mess up one meal that doesn't mean I should stop. I just learn from it and start again. I do feel I should read the book again just to refresh myself. I feel I'm getting comfortable and possibly opening myself up to more mistakes by being over confident. 

Thanks for the post ladyshanny! I don't feel I have a dragon that has fits. I'm not craving sugar on a regular basis, just during my cycle. That's when I go for the coconut flakes but only a handful a day if that and no more than 2 days. I did recognize Monday and Tuesday that I was mostly craving due to stress and a little due to my cycle. I had cake and cookies right in front of me and was only Day 2 & 3. I could've binged on the junk but I didn't. So all in all I'm quite proud of myself for recognizing it and then only on Day 3 having a handful of coconut flakes. I'll go the next 3 weeks without any sugar cravings or feeding into them.  

Keep your chin up Liss!   Life happens and I know all about the sabotagers..... :D  Its tough when no one cares to understand your personal journey... but that is what it is... this is OUR journey.... .  I'd rather start 100 times and finish once then give up after a few re-starts.  You'll do fine, just keep going. 

You're exactly right Amanda! I'd rather start over and over and eventually finish. My boss is a MD and read the book after I told her about it. She understands and agrees with the program but feels some of my slip ups shouldn't constitute starting over. To each their own. :) The important people in my life support me.

Thank you for your encouragement! Keep up the good work!

Liss

Hey LissFish!  I'm right there with you!  Went to lunch today with a friend to a Japanese place.  I ordered sashimi - with lemon, no soy sauce, but guess what?  PICKLED GINGER!!  I should have known by the sweet aspect of the taste....so, for me DAY 1 is tomorrow, February 28th.  I am not going to blow out tonight....on the same wavelength as you on that score...Tell you the truth:  as long as I am done by my birthday, it will be great (April 4th - gifts accepted :D )...not because I plan to eat cake...although I might have to have one teeny flute of champagne....but because I was THAT GREAT FEELING I've already had a taste of after my first fully compliant week - and I want it when I welcome in 63.

Your weekend next weekend sounds like quite a challenge-and planning ahead now sounds like exactly the right thing to do.  Wish I had some great suggestions for you, but, whatever you are doing, it sounds as though it will be super healthy for you in many ways.

RESTART WITH STRENGTH, RECHARGE OUR COMMITMENT....and look at it this way:  more time to groove in the lifelong habits...

You go, girl,

m

Good-morning Ladies!!

15 down and 15 to go~  Keep'n it simple and keep'n it real.  My biggest challenge will be at the end... I fly to Nevada for meetings 15MAR - 18MAR.  My last day with W30 is the 18th.. BUT, thank goodness I'll be staying mostly with my brother and will plan on cooking up what I need.

How's everyone doing?  what days are you on?   Keep on keep' on, look forward to hearing from you all. 

Best wishes,

Amanda

Hey Moff, you are doing GREAT!! I am back near the start...just finished day 4, and while I feel good, I can't quite imagine king this up for a month, but, who knows? No particular craving...a glass of wine, a croissant, food that is just easier...anyway, I am dedicated to going the distance to really see how it feels. You are an inspiration....and you too LissFish...lets just keep going!!

Hello, Hello! Way to go Amanda! Day 15 - that is great! I am on no day. Was going to restart on the first but then I was asked to bake 3 dozen sugar cookies and decorate for a banquet tonight. I have not baked in a long time and I won't commit to doing it again until I'm well past a few whole30's. It's too hard not to test the batter or lick a finger. So I'm coming off of a sugar high right now. haha! I'm going to shoot for Day 1 tomorrow but I'm still worried about this weekend so for the sake of ease I might just wait until next Tuesday. But in the meantime I'm still eating all my whole30 good foods. Won't let those go to waste. :)

Keep up the good work!!

Hi Ladies!

WHY am I still getting headaches?  I wake up with one a couple times a week and CAN NOT shake it?  :(  I drink plenty of water and have stayed compliant.  I would have thought they'd certainly be over by day 19!  :(

Hope all is going well with you and we're all headed to day 30! 

I know you hate to hear this but I would try eating more food Amanda. 

I'm headed to Day 1. I ate better than expected this weekend but it was hard to stay compliant. I have no other obstacles in the next month so this WILL be my whole Whole30. :)

Congrats on Day 19! Keep up the good work!

• Administrators

Hi Ladies!

WHY am I still getting headaches?  I wake up with one a couple times a week and CAN NOT shake it?  :(  I drink plenty of water and have stayed compliant.  I would have thought they'd certainly be over by day 19!  :(

Hope all is going well with you and we're all headed to day 30! 

You can post a couple days of typical food & portions, fluids, stress, exercise, sleep and we can take a look and see if there are any tweaks or anything that stands out.  Where are you in your cycle? How is your starchy veggie intake?

Thank you ladyshanny, I sure appreciate you hovering like an angel over us.  :D

My days are very typically the same. 

I am not exercising other than small walks, due to back spasms and recovering from injury, therefore am sticking with 3 meals a day.  Stress is minimal.  I am very lucky to work from home, a consultant for an electric company, therefore, my temptations are much less then working in an office environment.  I am in bed between 9-1030p and am usually awake between 430 - 530a.  :(

upon waking - hot lemon water with  1T Great Lakes gelatin

breakfast - 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 poblano pepper, 1 c. spinach leaves, onion sautéed in 1T olive oil, 2 eggs

or - 4-6 oz beef, raspberries, handful cashews

lunch - 5 cups romaine, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 poblano, 1 green onion, 1-2 T olive oil, 1 avocado, romano tomato, 6-8oz hamburger (raw weight)

dinner - 3 cups spaghetti squash, with 1 1/2 cups chicken curry with spinach, onions, coconut milk

or - 6+ oz cod (raw wt) with 3 cups asparagus or broccoli

I drink 24 oz of green tea and also steep ginger tea with it, on occasion I will switch out one cup for a cup of black coffee with cinnamon and coconut oil in it.  I drink a minimum 64 oz water, usually more like 80oz.

I am 2 weeks past my cycle and wont again for 3 months with the birth control I am on.

I really feel I am eating enough?!  THe other day I felt hungry and had a celery stick with almond butter and cinnamon.  I use spices on everything.

Thank you for checking on us and your input is greatly appreciated.  I have 1 week left for my 30 days and plan on continuing for another 15 at minimum, but probably 30.  I don't feel as if I have lost much weight, and my clothes are still pretty much the same, which is fine (fat loss would be great tho), its the cleansing I am looking for and praying I can conquer this sugar addiction and processed foods.

Best wishes, I look forward to hearing from you.

Amanda

• Administrators

Thank you ladyshanny, I sure appreciate you hovering like an angel over us.  :D

My days are very typically the same. 

I am not exercising other than small walks, due to back spasms and recovering from injury, therefore am sticking with 3 meals a day.  Stress is minimal.  I am very lucky to work from home, a consultant for an electric company, therefore, my temptations are much less then working in an office environment.  I am in bed between 9-1030p and am usually awake between 430 - 530a.  :(

upon waking - hot lemon water with  1T Great Lakes gelatin

breakfast - 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 poblano pepper, 1 c. spinach leaves, onion sautéed in 1T olive oil, 2 eggs

or - 4-6 oz beef, raspberries, handful cashews

lunch - 5 cups romaine, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 poblano, 1 green onion, 1-2 T olive oil, 1 avocado, romano tomato, 6-8oz hamburger (raw weight)

dinner - 3 cups spaghetti squash, with 1 1/2 cups chicken curry with spinach, onions, coconut milk

or - 6+ oz cod (raw wt) with 3 cups asparagus or broccoli

I drink 24 oz of green tea and also steep ginger tea with it, on occasion I will switch out one cup for a cup of black coffee with cinnamon and coconut oil in it.  I drink a minimum 64 oz water, usually more like 80oz.

I am 2 weeks past my cycle and wont again for 3 months with the birth control I am on.

I really feel I am eating enough?!  THe other day I felt hungry and had a celery stick with almond butter and cinnamon.  I use spices on everything.

Thank you for checking on us and your input is greatly appreciated.  I have 1 week left for my 30 days and plan on continuing for another 15 at minimum, but probably 30.  I don't feel as if I have lost much weight, and my clothes are still pretty much the same, which is fine (fat loss would be great tho), its the cleansing I am looking for and praying I can conquer this sugar addiction and processed foods.

Best wishes, I look forward to hearing from you.

Amanda

You're sweet!  

Headaches can often be caused by going too low carb for you.  You might benefit from adding in at least one serving of starchy veggies per day (fist sized = 1 serving).  I would try that for the next week to 10 days and see how you go.  There's been quite a bit of anecdotal evidence of people doing really well when they add their starchy veggie at the end of the day rather than the beginning, fosters sleep and isn't as likely to cause you to have carby/sugary cravings through the day as when you put it at the first meal.

If you are finding that you are hungry before 4-5 hours is up, you can take that as a sign that your previous meals could be larger.  If you do need to have a between-meals-bite, make it at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies. Having just fruit or just veggies or the bomb combo of fruits and nuts together can spike your blood sugar which could also contribute to ongoing headaches.

Try these couple tweaks and let us know how you do!!

You're sweet!  

Headaches can often be caused by going too low carb for you.  You might benefit from adding in at least one serving of starchy veggies per day (fist sized = 1 serving).  I would try that for the next week to 10 days and see how you go.  There's been quite a bit of anecdotal evidence of people doing really well when they add their starchy veggie at the end of the day rather than the beginning, fosters sleep and isn't as likely to cause you to have carby/sugary cravings through the day as when you put it at the first meal.

Yes ladyshanny, thank you for watching over us and commenting when you can. :)

When I wasn't getting the "Tiger Blood" feeling last time I started adding sweet potato hash in the mornings for breakfast Amanda. It was just what I needed to get through the day without being sluggish and cranky. I got the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. But ladyshanny, can the sweet in sweet potato keep the sugar dragon going? Is it ok to use regular potato instead?

Thanks,

• Administrators

Yes ladyshanny, thank you for watching over us and commenting when you can. :)

When I wasn't getting the "Tiger Blood" feeling last time I started adding sweet potato hash in the mornings for breakfast Amanda. It was just what I needed to get through the day without being sluggish and cranky. I got the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. But ladyshanny, can the sweet in sweet potato keep the sugar dragon going? Is it ok to use regular potato instead?

Thanks,

You can certainly eat regular potato if that's what you want.  Depending on how sensitive your dragon is, the sweetness of a sweet potato could be triggering for you to want more.  But the sweet potato in it is not metabolised or used by the body in the same way that actual sugar or even fruit is.

You can certainly eat regular potato if that's what you want.  Depending on how sensitive your dragon is, the sweetness of a sweet potato could be triggering for you to want more.  But the sweet potato in it is not metabolised or used by the body in the same way that actual sugar or even fruit is.

Thank you ladyshanny! I will keep all of that in mind. :)

Hello Everyone! Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm back on Whole30 and am so happy about it! Even my fella said (after 2 weeks of snow and cold) he was ready to get back to running and eating healthy again. He isn't on Whole30 but he eats what I cook myself along with a side of rice or some bread. 

I hope everyone is doing well with theirs. Let me know where you are please! :)

Good- Day Girls!!

My phone countdown says "3 days left.... I GOT this!"  whoop whoop!  Travelled to NV yesterday and staying with my brother for a couple, meeting tomorrow and home on Wednesday (my last day of 30)  Was planning on continuing on with another 30 days, but am anxious to introduce greek yogurt and see what that does.  I can certainly live without grains, because I already know grains and sugar are complete demons to my body and mind.

I'm thinking after the initial introduction phase, I will begin another 30 day Whole 30 with my sister and am ready to start back up weight lifting, so am excited to see what that 30 days will bring.  I do not feel I have lost any fat this go roud, but have not been running or lifting due to back injury.

Best wishes and best of luck to you all wherever you are in this journey.  You GOT this!!!

Amanda

Archived