Breastfeeding a two month old and always hungry

I'm about 3 weeks into our first whole 30 endeavor, and I'm exclusively breastfeeding a 2.5 month old. I just want to know if I'm eating too much or not. I try to eat very filling meals and include starchy veggies with almost every meal and have a few snacks in between consisting usually of fruit with almond butter or avocado or olives. And I start every day with two eggs plus starchy veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash. So I feel I must be eating a sturdy enough breakfast. Why am I still so hungry?! Also, I feel like I may have lost a couple pounds, but not much more than that. And I was really hoping to see my stomach flatten quite a bit, but so far I don't think it has much. Am I eating too much? I really want to see some good results, but I also don't want to live feeling hungry:/

Two eggs isn't enough for breakfast. An egg serving is however many you can hold in your hand - at least three, for some people it's four or more. Unless you're adding other meats to your breakfast that's not enough.

What are your other meals like? Breastfeeding that much you probably need to have four template meals, not just three. How much fat are you eating? You should be eating on the upper end of the fat template.

You need to eat four full meals (and yes, a serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your hand, so 3 or 4 for most of us). Lots of veggies, lots of fat, lots of protein. And you can sip on coconut milk during the day if that suits you as well. Eat up!

As to whether/when you will lose weight, that depends on your body. Everyone is individual. Your body's main job right now is to make milk, so everything else takes a back seat - as it should.

Eat up! If you'd like more specific tips, post a few days' worth of meals here and we can help you out.

Thanks so much for responding ladies! I never got any email alerts, so I didn't think I had any replies!

This is very good to know that my two eggs wasn't nearly enough as far as being the main protein. I will definitely bump that up immediately. I usually eat 1/2-1 whole avocado each day, and plenty of avocado oil, coconut cream, and olives. My other two main meals usually have a sizeable amount of protein, and lots of veggies. I usually eat sweet potatoes, carrots, or butternut squash which each meal too.

One question I have is, chow much is too much almond butter?? I realize it's very high in fats and quite dense considering how many almonds it takes to make up a small jar...

Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Thanks so much for responding ladies! I never got any email alerts, so I didn't think I had any replies!

When you are in a thread that you want to be notified of new responses to, you can scroll to the top of the page and click "Follow This Topic".  Then you can set up how you choose to be alerted to topics. You can also set up "auto-follow" so that every topic you post in that gets a reply will show up as a notification.  To do this, scroll to the top of the page, click on your own name in the black bar and then click "My Settings".  Along the left there is "Notification Options" and you can do your settings there. :)

• Moderators

Hmm, too much almond butter... any more than a couple of thumbs worth at each meal is probably flirting with that line. You want to eat 4 full meals rather than relying on not-so-nutrient-dense snacks. And you'd do better to rely on varied fat sources. Nuts, seeds and nut butters can be hard on the stomach.

• 3 months later...

It's also worth knowing that one of the roles of prolactin, the "breastfeeding hormone", is to interfere with hunger and fullness cues which leaves you with inflated hunger - nature's way of ensuring your supply, but annoying.

It's also worth knowing that one of the roles of prolactin, the "breastfeeding hormone", is to interfere with hunger and fullness cues which leaves you with inflated hunger - nature's way of ensuring your supply, but annoying.

Inflated hunger is one way to look at it, but perhaps we can understand it more accurately as an appropriate level of hunger for the constant work the body is doing to make everything another human being needs to survive. In that sense, it is not annoying, but a relief, that the body works so efficiently. Eat up, with joy! :wub:

• Administrators

Not only nature's way of ensuring supply, but your body's way of making sure that it has enough resources to sustain its own life and that of the baby.  

If we remove all the synthetic frankenfoods, additives, and signal disruptors, we can trust the body to tell us exactly what it needs for whatever life events it is experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first Whole30 when my daughter was 4 months old and nursing like crazy. I ate four template meals every single day, always on the higher end of the fat range. For a while, I was just throwing coconut flakes on everything! And it was still challenging to feel full some days!

Nursing—especially nursing or pumping exclusively—takes a lot of energy!

Archived