Why only 3 meals a day? I'm too full feeling!

This may have been answered before-if so please direct me.

Can someone explain why it's recommended to only eat 3 meals a day vs. the 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day?

I've been able to do 3 meals a day without getting hungry in between but it's just a lot of food all at once which is making my stomach bloated and pooching out. I'm eating plenty of fat (avocado, olive oil) and lean proteins with some veggies and small serving of fruit. I feel so full!

Am I eating too much? Can I spread it out more?

Thanks!

Every time you eat, your body has to have a hormonal response. So if you graze all day, that never turns off. Your insulin and stuff never get a chance to settle down.

It really gets easier not to snack after the first few weeks eating like this. My first go-round I had a lot more snack attacks.

Hi Julie~

What befab said is right - your body's hormonal responses operate best when you give them 3 full meals, spaced about 4 or 5 hours apart. Snacks are fine, if you're actually hungry, but not the best option.

Play with your portion sizes a bit. Try reducing the amount you eat at each meal until you get to the place where you're comfortable after a meal, but can still make it until the next one. It make take you some time to figure out how much is too much at a meal - that's fine. That's what snacks are for - just make sure they look like little meals and you're good to go.

I have the same problem, and I did not get over it throughout my Whole30. I HATE the feeling of being full. Absolutely hate it. But when I eat an amount that is comfortable for me, it only gets me 3-4 hours at the most. When you get up at 6am and go to bed at 10pm, there are some hungry times in there. I still eat a late afternoon snack (4pm or so) so I can get through my 7pm workout. I worry that this is part of why I didn't see the results that others saw, but I don't know how to fix it.

It is pretty clear that my hormones still haven't straightened out and I'm afraid this is part of why.

I trust that people much smarter than I am have figured this out, but doesn't this go against the prevailing wisdom that we should be eating smaller meals throughout the day? I thought it was a good thing to have the metabolism going all day? If we only eat 3 meals a day, we are shutting down the system in between, right? And wouldn't our paleo ancestors eat/graze throughout the day, as they found food?

Like others I feel like I'm eating too much at one sitting, but if I eat what I feel is an appropriate amount, I'm invariably hungry again in a couple hours.

THANK YOU to the responders! Any seasoned Whole9'ers have any further advice. If I don't eat what I'm eating then I def. can't make it to the next meal. I can eat more fat I suppose but don't want to miss out on the nutrients from eating a variety of vegetables.

Sincerely, stomach poocher! :)

There's nothing inherently magic about 3 meals a day, its the concept of a meal and then a break from consumption so your hormones can work. If you've got a long day ahead of you, a late workout, etc., your eating window may contain 4 meals - that's fine. What we're concerned about is that you eat enough food to last you until your next meal - ideally 4 or 5 hours later - without the need to snack in between. This break gives your hormones an appropriate chance to process the energy you've consumed, store it, and then release it as necessary. More specifics of the hormone functions are covered in It Starts With Food, but that's the heart of the matter.

If you find that you can only eat a properly balanced meal large enough to last you 3 hours, then start there. Tweak it a bit here and there to see if more protein or fat will help you make it to the next meal, but don't stress. We aren't recommending you go hungry, we just don't want you to graze. If you need a snack, eat a snack. Just make sure it's protein, fat and veg.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit ;0)

Thanks, Robin. That definitely helps me. I was trying so hard to only eat 3 meals, that my snack was out of desperation, unplanned, and often nuts (literally, not figuratively). This round I'm going to plan for it, and make it a smaller version of a normal meal rather than a snack.

• 4 years later...
On 3/13/2017 at 8:03 PM, mtraeger said:

Thirty minutes? 45?

30-45 mins to eat a meal is fine, although being interrupted when eating is a pet hate of mine - how can you eat mindfully & enjoy your meal with constant interruptions? Is there something/anything you can do to avoid this?

How long of a gap are you leaving between meals? 

Archived