Pain free periods?!

MTNan

i finished my whole30 4 days ago. I have had several non-scale victories, but my favorite BY FAR is that I have now had two completely pain-free and symptom-free periods! This has not happened a single time in over 30 years! The only down side has been that, without any mood swings, cramps, migraines, food cravings, or debilitating fatigue to warn me that old Aunt Flo was going to visit, I have been caught quite unaware, once in the middle of the day at work! Small price to pay!

My 15-year old daughter has horrible cramps and vomiting with her period that even medications has not alleviated. She is considering doing a whole30 this summer to see if she can get some relief. Everyone send good vibes that she decides to commit!!!

Pretty cool, huh? After surgery and countless meds for endometriosis, I was able to stop taking all meds just by changing my diet (pretty whole 30,but still). Daily, constant pain was just not there anymore. Welcome to the other side!

PS I really hope your daughter gets relief. Symptoms that extreme are not normal. I hope she learns how take ownership of her body and realizes how empowering it is to take control of your health!

This is so relieving to hear, as I am on day 3 with TERRIBLE cramps, crying (ugh) and a heavy period. It is not helping my motivation to stick to my food plan because I want all.of.the.sugar. But alas, I ate a compliant breakfast and am having kombucha as a treat. Thank you for sharing your positive results, it is making me feel hopeful for my next period.

Noddlie - your body needs a lot more carbs just prior to and sometimes during the first few days of your period.  Thus, the cravings.  Eat more starchy but compliant carbs - that'll help give your body more of what it needs so it doesn't have to trick you into trying to eat everything under the sun.  And next month, increase your carb intake ahead of time to keep cravings at a minimum.  Good luck!

I am also having my first pain free period which is amazing. I'm right now on day 9. I definitely am eating more now than before my TOM. Definitely increased fat and compliant starch intake during dinner. But I feel good and am bloating less, even with eating some more.

Wow, cool to hear this! I wasn't sure if it was normal or if I made up some result from my whole30 but I was telling my friend how for the first time ever my period came and went with absolutely no symptoms. I literally would never have known I had it if it weren't for the very obvious sign :)

Is there reasoning behind this? Body inflammation has been somewhat healed or something?

• Administrators

This is so relieving to hear, as I am on day 3 with TERRIBLE cramps, crying (ugh) and a heavy period. It is not helping my motivation to stick to my food plan because I want all.of.the.sugar. But alas, I ate a compliant breakfast and am having kombucha as a treat. Thank you for sharing your positive results, it is making me feel hopeful for my next period.

Upping your starchy veggies will help you avoid those cravings for sugar.  Those sugar cravings are a need for carbohydrates. Often during period week (and the week leading up to it), women need far more carbohydrates and food in general than they do the rest of the month.  This is completely fine.  Roast up those sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips etc and if you need more food overall, add in another balanced template meal. 

• Administrators

Wow, cool to hear this! I wasn't sure if it was normal or if I made up some result from my whole30 but I was telling my friend how for the first time ever my period came and went with absolutely no symptoms. I literally would never have known I had it if it weren't for the very obvious sign :)

Is there reasoning behind this? Body inflammation has been somewhat healed or something?

I don't know if there is any proven scientific reason for it but reduced inflammation and balanced hormones probably play a huge part.  I have long believed that these excruciating periods are not what we were meant to endure.  Some discomfort, naturally, but the incapacitating pain just seems contradictory everything else in the natural world.  Just one more example of the frankenfoods messing with our systems!

You know, I didn't even think about it until I read this but despite my period arriving earlier and lasting longer (I assume due to hormone fluctuations), I didn't actually have any cramps nor did I get my typical premenstrual migraine.  Huh.  Dig it!

Oh my gosh!   I'm so excited I started this.  I'm a full 4 meals in, so absolutely a veteran  :ph34r: but I feel great, not hungry at all.

My periods put me in bed, last time I had to double my sleep requirements (literally slept 12 - 16 hours a day)

If my schedule holds I should have my period around week three.  Hearing this is absolute motivation to keep with the plan. 

• 1 month later...

Archived