Need more fat!!

Lonewolph

I'm a single father and don't cook a heck of a lot. I usually steam my veggies and add a bit of olive oil in after. I grab nuts when I have time. I eat organic chicken a lot, or eggs, or organic hamburger when I can afford it. But on the average I'm getting very little fat at meal time. It's mostly protein and vegetables.

Any ideas/suggestion out there on how I can boost my fat intake easily and in a healthy way?

• Administrators

Olives!  Avocado? Coconut milk in your coffee? Make up a batch of homemade mayo and put it on everything? (sorry, that's my inner mayo addict talking!)

Whole eggs, fattier cuts of meat, fatty fishes (like salmon, sardines etc).

Olives, avocados, nuts and seeds, coconut milk, the yolks in eggs, and actual fat in meats, poultry, and fishes (including chicken skin). Cooking fats include olive oil, ghee, avocado oil, coconut oil, etc.

EDIT:

ladyshanny beat me to it by seconds!

What about roasting your veggies in coconut oil instead of steaming and THEN drizzling with oil? I third the mayo, creamy dressings, avocado, olives both black and green, what about almond butter stuffed celery with lunch or dinner? Fried eggs on top of the hamburger? (one of my hubby's favorites), deviled eggs, fattier cuts of meats. What about curries/soups made with coconut milk? or coconut milk in your coffee (if you do that) I love creamy soups where I chop up some onions and garlic, sweat in a bit of coconut oil or olive oil, toss in what ever veg I feel like--carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, etc, what ever seasonings you would like and add just enough bone broth to cover the veg and bring to a boil and let simmer till soft--about 20 minutes or so. Then blitz in your blender or with a hand blender, add a full can of coconut milk, heat thru and serve. I typically have this in a large mug with additional veg and protein at any meal. 

Not sure what you do for a living, but my hubby is a truck driver (local deliveries) and what I usually pack for him is hard boiled eggs for his breakfast, along with leftover roasted sweet potatoes and olives. Lunch is usually roast boneless chicken thighs (the cook up ones from the clothes make the girl), additional  olives, nuts, sometimes more roasted veg--usually like broccoli or cauliflower. He has to eat when he can--he doesn't  have a set lunch.

Seconding the suggestion of double-fat on veggies. I toss mine in avocado or coconut oil and roast them in the oven. I usually do a big batch so that I have extras to take in my lunch to work. When I'm ready to eat, I drizzle on more olive oil (which I keep at work) or, if I'm at home, I'll sometimes drizzle with mayo. Broccoli with mayo is pretty awesome. I also like adding sliced almonds, but the amount that I use them in makes the almonds more of a garnish than a genuine source of fat for the meal.

Asparagus is another veggie that you can roast in the oven in about 10 minutes. We also roast cabbage (cut into thin wedges), sweet potatoes, butternut squash, kabocha squash (aka japanese pumpkin), zucchini, and green beans.

Since you're buying organic chicken, are you eating the skin? There's tons of good fat in that. Another idea would be to start adding a salad to your meals. Salads are a double-whammy because you're getting extra veggies AND they're a great delivery vehicle for extra fat in the form of olive oil or a mayo-based dressing.

Archived