Sick and on Week 2

Hi everyone!

I am on my first whole 30 and on day 2 of my second week so far everything has been going really well. I feel my energy up, cravings fewer in between and tolerance for less snacking higher. Woo!

However, as of yesterday, I came down with layringitis and the full cold today. Does anyone have any ideas for recipes or good foods to fight this cold that will give me the immune boost, antioxidants and extra boost I need?

On the bright side, I am still feeling alert (not completely energized, but close enough), but the coughing, stuffy nose, clogged ears and spinning from the clogged ears is making it difficult to find things to eat where I am still nourished.

Help!

Coughing Up a Lung,

Vanessa

Hi, it's funny to read this. I am also doing my first Whole30, which has been going well since beginning on March 2, and I am also sick... I very rarely get sick. Pretty sure it's bronchitis.

Trying to rest and hydrate - including Yogi Cold Season tea. Really pushing the fluids, especially lemon water. Also trying to "treat" myself naturally with good foods/no meds Homemade chicken stock made in my crockpot has been great - especially liked making carrot-ginger soup with it. Recipe on simply recipes.com. Also some oven-roasted starchy veggies in small quantities, scrambled eggs, citrus fruit. Feeling a little better today.

Would also be interested in other suggestions! Thanks.

Although I don't know why it wouldn't be allowed, I swear by zinc supplements. I think the things like cold-eze etc might have sugar, but I take the straight supplement. Helps keep me from getting sick when I feel that first inkling of a cold, and helps me get better faster when I do get sick. 

Incidentally, I started my Whole30 on March 2 as well. Solidarity! :) 

Every zinc supplement I've seen has added sugar so out for Whole30 but you can look for foods that are naturally rich in it instead.

I've not made this recipe before but it showed up on my meal plan this week and I thought of it for you: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/08/17/healing-chicken-soup-paleo-whole30/

Hot water with lemon and/or ginger are great. I've also found hot water with raw apple cider vinegar good at getting the stuffiness to break up.

I'm hoping you feel better ForNessOnly! I'm on day 15 here... I'm halfway through! 

I'm feeling really good, but wanted a glass of wine SO badly yesterday. I'm used to doing a full day of yard or housework, then settling down before making dinner with a nice glass of wine. Kombucha is *almost* as good. ;) 

if you're still under the weather, and if you have a juicer, try running a chunk of ginger and a lemon through together and using that in hot water for tea. My husband was sick last weekend and that's what I kept him full of. Another tea combo is a tbsp of apple cider vinegar, the juice of a lemon, with some cinnamon and cayenne pepper in hot water. When not in a w30 you can add raw honey.

Archived