Coconut milk

frogtox

I've never used much coconut milk, but had a can on hand before I started Whole 30 and used it within a day or so. So, I bought another can, different brand and when I opened it instead of it being all liquid, like the first can it had a solid layer on top and some goop underneath. 

What gives?

• Administrators

The solid layer is the fat and the "goop" underneath is the coconut water.  You can blend them together and it'll be fine.  Some people like to use the coconut cream on the top for curries etc.  

Normally I have found that separation or not depends on water content and guar gum content.  Guar gum is used to stop separation.

My coconut milk often separates and no matter how much I shake it, I still end up with chunks in it that plug up the holes when I try to pour it out. I figured out a cool trick: I give it a good shake then put the can, unopened, in hot water and let it soak for about ten to fifteen minutes. Give it another good shake before opening it. Works every time. I rarely use a full can, so I put it in my Rubbermaid container that has a little pour spout and store in the fridge. Sometimes it still looks "separated," even though there's no big chunks, and in those cases I just shake it again in my container for 30 seconds or so and it's right as rain. I've never had it separate again after doing this.

Archived