Let's Do This

PuraVida

Hello!

I started my second Whole30 today, and am looking for support or a friend to do this with me. Last time, I only made it to about day 12, and then caved because of a series of travel for work, birthdays, holidays, etc. No excuses this time! I really did feel good for the short time that I stuck with the plan, and am very excited to follow it all the way through this time. I didn't realize that there was a forum section of this website, and I think this is a great way to hold myself accountable.

I found It Starts With Food to be very interesting - it explained so many of the problems I have been struggling with for most of my life regarding food. I have a history with depression and anxiety, and am really hoping to see some improvement in that area. I also am completely addicted to sugar, and expect that to be the most difficult part of these next 30 days. 

I took before and after pictures last night - not a self-confidence booster. I'm so ready to clean up my eating, take care of my body, and see the results that I've been wanting for years! For right now, I just want to lose 10-15 pounds. The real win will be developing a healthier relationship with food, eliminating cravings, increasing energy, and decreasing depression and anxiety. 

Let's do this!

Thanks for the advice Hutlifr! Fortunately I don't have any trips coming up now. But I definitely stocked up on canned fish for when I need a quick snack or small meal.

I think one of the hardest things for me is going to be social eating - happy hours with friends, catered work events, networking lunches, etc. Anyone have any advice on navigating this type of situation? 

Day two is going well, I've been collecting some great crockpot recipes that will allow me to cut down on food prep/cooking time. I'm planning on making a big batch of something each Sunday so I know I will have a healthy, compliant meal ready for me when I don't have a chance to cook.

I have a similar problem in my neighborhood, my particular group of friends cherishes what we call proper cocktail hour.  I straight said no to the first two invites then on the 3rd said yes, but no cocktail for me, I brought a bottle of kombucha over and drank that while chatting.  We got the same positive results without the bottle (s) of wine.  I won't lie, it's not easy.  But I remind myself how GOOD I've been feeling and that what I need from the interaction is not a buzz but friendship.

• Moderators

What brand of kombucha do you drink? I think the kind I usually have has added sugar. But LOVE kombucha, and am missing my probiotics that I usually get from plain greek yogurt.

Look for GT's brand -- I think all their flavors are compliant, and they're starting to turn up at grocery stores and Target, not just Whole Foods. There are other compliant brands too, but I know GT's is fairly easy to find in the US. (You could also look into making your own -- it's really not that hard to do.)

You can also get probiotics from other fermented foods, like sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles -- look for Bubbie's brand and Wild Brine, but do read your labels and make sure the particular item you pick out is compliant. And again, there are other brands, those are two big ones. I've heard that Trader Joe's has a store brand that's compliant, and some people find options at their farmers market. 

Help! I fell off the bandwagon today :(

I've been thinking hard about what was going on in my mind when I decided to stray from the plan, and I honestly think it just comes down to mindset. I have tried and failed at so many diet plans, it feels like there is this permanent voice in my head telling me I can't do it. It's like I start out with the expectation of failure. How do I fix this? How do I regain faith in my willpower and ability to take care of my body? Could really use some help here.

Sorry today was rough. It's important to take an honest look at the circumstances that resulted in choosing to eat or drink something out of the program. Was it stress, boredom, peer pressure, loneliness, Being caught unprepared, etc. etc. etc....if you want to share what happened I'm sure you'll get great advice and feedback from those who've been through it before.

By the way, I drink the GT Kombucha but I also make my own, it's very easy once you get it started. I steer clear of the sweet fruit ones like mango and stick with the plain or the ginger flavors.

Archived