Day 21. Exhausted and miserable.

• Administrators

Okay, increasing the starchy veggies.  (I'm still not completely sure that I was getting that little, though.  I was limiting them, but I was eating some sweet potato or plantain with most meals, and I wasn't limiting less-dense starches like beets, rutabaga, and winter squash.)

Got a magnesium supplement while I was out shopping yesterday.  It's just the basic Nature Made one, which was all I could find, but I don't see anything specifically forbidden in the ingredients. 

But I'm also not worrying about sugar dragons anymore.  The fact that I was eating too much sugar and drinking too much and felt like I needed to change my habits were considerations in starting the Whole30, but it was the seasonal allergy thing that was really the deciding factor.  (And really, it's pretty crazy to actually feel worse than when I was eating a lot of things that I knew were unhealthy.  Even if this weren't working at all, I should still feel better just from cutting out the junk.)  I'll keep doing template meals and stay compliant, but I just can't keep worrying about the grey area stuff, especially since it seems like people who are eating the iffy stuff that I've avoided are doing so much better than I am. 

I am feeling better today.  I don't think it's Tiger Blood better, but I'm not feeling so totally awful. 

I would really caution you against comparing yourself to others.  They have a different context, different body, different metabolism, different underscoring health issues. Eating "iffy" stuff is not the secret tip to getting the most optimal results.  I know you know that and you might be feeling frustrated.  It takes experimentation and sometimes when you make a revision it takes a few days to see noticeable results.

Good luck!!  I read through this all and feel your frustrations!!  I definitely want to concur with the bed time supplement of magnesium.  I take Natural Calm (mixed with water, unsweetened) and it has changed my life (and my husband's!).  They sell it at Whole Foods, but typically I get it on amazon.  It's a great calming nighttime ritual and I feel like Whole30 frustration + little sleep = CRANKY!  I hope it helps!!  :)  And keep up the good work with your running!  You run... might be slower than you think it should be, but you're running!  I'm the same.  Slowest runner EVER!  But I run.  So that's what makes me feel good :) 

I would really caution you against comparing yourself to others.  They have a different context, different body, different metabolism, different underscoring health issues. Eating "iffy" stuff is not the secret tip to getting the most optimal results.  I know you know that and you might be feeling frustrated.  It takes experimentation and sometimes when you make a revision it takes a few days to see noticeable results.

That was the compromise I made with myself.  I keep going, I stay compliant and all my meals fit the template, but I stop torturing myself over whether I'm doing enough about an issue that was peripheral to my decision to do the Whole30 in the first place.  Still seems reasonable to me.  A banana with almond butter is not going to make my sinuses swell shut. 

Good luck!!  I read through this all and feel your frustrations!!  I definitely want to concur with the bed time supplement of magnesium.  I take Natural Calm (mixed with water, unsweetened) and it has changed my life (and my husband's!).  They sell it at Whole Foods, but typically I get it on amazon.  It's a great calming nighttime ritual and I feel like Whole30 frustration + little sleep = CRANKY!  I hope it helps!!   :)  And keep up the good work with your running!  You run... might be slower than you think it should be, but you're running!  I'm the same.  Slowest runner EVER!  But I run.  So that's what makes me feel good :)

It's not so much my speed that I think should be better, as the fact that I can't sustain even the slowest run.  But trying to do it continuously would make it feel like torture, so I keep just doing intervals.  It is strangely relaxing.  (And if you had told me last year that I would ever find it relaxing to run, I'd have thought you were completely insane.)  But I can't call myself an athlete. 

Maggiedoll

I can't call myself an athlete either..... Although I love being active - more or less I love "to play" - so exercise that doesn't feel like exercise.  Running always seemed like forced exercise to me - so therefore I'm not a fan. (And the fact that I can probably walk faster than I can run - seriously)

I however love challenging myself by lifting weights or a great technical kickboxing class. You have to find something that interests you and relaxes you at the same time.  If you like intervals - continue to do them.  If you want to challenge yourself while doing them - try extending interval times or run faster.  Change it up.

Couch25K will help you go from a back and forth slow runner / fast walker to a runner, full on... you might still be slow, but you'll learn how to run straight without stopping.  It's how I learned.  and I have never in my life been good at anything related to sports, athleticism, or endurance!  I should be their poster child!  

I however love challenging myself by lifting weights or a great technical kickboxing class. You have to find something that interests you and relaxes you at the same time.  If you like intervals - continue to do them.  If you want to challenge yourself while doing them - try extending interval times or run faster.  Change it up.

Oh, I do!  I found this awesome interval timer app called Impetus that lets you do all kinds of cool stuff with sets, and sets inside sets, and stepped timers..  It's what keeps me from getting bored!  Constantly playing with different configurations and speeds, trying to figure out where I can push a little more. 

Well, things have been kinda up and down.  After some searching, I'm starting to think that what I thought was a feeling of physical hunger that was occurring far too soon after meals may actually be acid reflux.  Just ordered digestive enzymes, so I guess we'll see how that works.  Also cutting out the coconut, which apparently can cause a problem?  That's probably also the most significant thing that I added into my diet when I started the Whole30.  Cutting out the nightshades as well since it looks like they can be a problem, even though I've never had issues with them before. 

It looks like smaller meals are usually recommended?  Should I split my meals up?

Archived