Any advice with meal timings for a newbie?

Dreamingofdorset

Hi guys and girls,

I hope this isn't a dumb question but I am starting my second whole30 today, though in reality I look back and think I didn't do the first one in the right spirit.  I ate foods that were 100% compliant but I don't think I completely stopped my snacking habit or managed to get rid of my psychological dependence on some foods - mainly fruit.  Sweet, sugary fruit.   

Anyway this is my Day 1 and I have started again for many reasons. 

1) weight loss or body composition to improve (10lbs gained in the past year) 

2) relationship with food to improve

3) to feel like I did on my previous whole30 because I felt great. :D

4) improve the quality of my sleep

What I am wondering about is this.  I work full time and nearly always eat a protein/veggie rich breakfast and lunch.  No major drama's there.  However it's the evenings I struggle with.  I train 4 times a week in something called krav maga which means that I often have 30 mins between getting home and leaving again for class.  I then train, either really brutally hard or it could be more technical so I never know the likely energy expenditure.  Then I get home at 2115hrs at the earliest but often later.  I'm a total early bird and I'm longing for my bed by 2230hrs, I'm invariably awake by 0600hrs.   

I don't want to eat a large dinner before training - but I realise eating as late as 2115hrs or later is ludicrous.  Especially as I have breakfast around 0630-0730hrs and lunch at 1230hrs approximately. 

I do want to break my snacking habit.  Certainly I want to stop reaching for banana's and dates when on the run. 

Any ideas?  What I will say is that I have time most mornings to fix something to eat later, but my main concern is do I eat at 1730hrs, go train and then have something small when I get home?  Or the other way round?  Or balance between the two?  Just not sure what is best! 

Thanks in advance to you all. :)

• Moderators

I would experiment with eating two boiled eggs on the way home from work as a pre-workout meal. Then eat a can of tuna (or a meal-size portion of lean protein) immediately after training while still at the gym. Then go home and eat a light supper before going to bed. Some people are sensitive to eating just before bed. I can eat immediately before bed, but often wake up 3-4 hours later and might take 30 minutes or more to get back to sleep. I think it is an effect of having eaten too late before bed. 

This plan assumes you eat big meals at breakfast and lunch to make up for eating light at night. 

I'm on day 13 and I really am really not hungry between meals at all. This is really different for me because I'm usually a very big snacker and thought about food as soon as my last meal ended. I've had a few nights where I was hungry around 7:30 and I ate a tablespoon of almond butter with a tablespoon of applesauce and some coconut on top and it completely helped. Good luck!

• Moderators

I'm on day 13 and I really am really not hungry between meals at all. This is really different for me because I'm usually a very big snacker and thought about food as soon as my last meal ended. I've had a few nights where I was hungry around 7:30 and I ate a tablespoon of almond butter with a tablespoon of applesauce and some coconut on top and it completely helped. Good luck!

While your applesauce/almond butter/coconut mix is compliant, we really recommend that if you are hungry, you eat a mini-meal, with protein, fat and veggies. Maybe keep some hard boiled eggs and chopped raw veggies in the fridge in case you need them, or just have some leftovers if that's easier. It doesn't have to be a lot, if it's not a normal meal time, but still should be the protein-fat-veggie combo. What you had is sweet enough to keep your sugar dragon alive and kicking, if that's something you struggle with, plus it's more likely to cause a rise in blood sugar.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I have my massive food delivery coming tonight and looks like I'll be boiling eggs aplenty!  I don't mind eggs fortunately! 

Tom I am trying to reduce my bodyfat by less cortisol which isn't helped by me not sleeping well, and eating late does impact upon my sleep. 

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.  Day 2 and feeling determined. :)

Tom I am trying to reduce my bodyfat by less cortisol which isn't helped by me not sleeping well, and eating late does impact upon my sleep. 

So, what do you plan to do? 

FWIW, I have a similar schedule on the evenings I do Capoeira, which I would consider pretty similar activity to Krav Maga from a metabolic standpoint. I do not always have a pre-wo snack (if I do I go for an egg or an epic bar), but find that I do need the full-sized meal #3 once I get home. If I do not, I will wake up sometime between 1 and 3. If I eat enough, and include some starchy carb in that meal I sleep better. You may have to experiment to find the exact right balance for your body.

Archived