Let me clear my throat (cough cough cough cough cough)

This may be a strange question, but hey, there's a lot of knowledge being dropped in these forums so I'm going to ask.

After eating, no matter what I eat, I get this major overproduction of mucus in the back of my throat that forces me to clear my throat and cough for a good half hour until my throat stays clear. Prior to starting Whole30 I never questioned why this was. My husband thinks my throat clearing is ridiculous (I do sound pretty ridiculous), but it's necessary in order to keep breathing clearly.

Now that I'm on Whole30 (day 16), I've started wondering if this could be some aversion or something that maybe should go away with this reboot? Or no? Like, this morning Pre-workout, I ate 2 hard boiled eggs. I spent most of my gym session trying to clear my throat. Tonight I had chicken thighs, and a slaw salad with avocado and balsamic vinegar . And Water all day as usual.

Is this something anyone has ideas about or experience with? Maybe it has nothing to do with food, although it only happens after I eat.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. :)

• Administrators

Is it after every single meal? Or are there some meals that it's less bad than others? I think if I were you I would start to keep a log so you can nail down if it's a food cause.

I know for me if I have dairy (accidental cheese in a diner omelette is about the only time), I cough for a half hour. I know you aren't eating dairy, but maybe something else is bothering you.

Is it getting any better? Less intense, less duration?

I'm going to keep a log, to see. This morning it was literally 2 hard boiled eggs. So while I was at the gym I thought... Maybe I have an egg allergy? Which would have killed me a little inside since they are my favorite things. But then, at dinner I had no eggs, but same outcome. So, I will log my food and the severity of my coughing. I always thought it could be dairy. I hear that can happen. Since I'm off dairy and it isn't gone it must be something else. Stay tuned!!

Weird that you mention it, but I've had similar issues (not to that extent)... I guess I chalked it up to allergies or something, as it's not bothersome enough for me to worry about. I also wondered briefly if it was due to a reduction in carbs. 

I was having similar symptoms that I couldn't pin down. I stopped eating almond butter (no brakes) and I have been relatively mucus-free since. I hope you can figure it out; it is most annoying...to everyone.

And thanks for the reminder to keep away from almond butter...

Archived