Severe bloating/gas

I've decided to restart. Completely following the meal template or as close to it as I can. Although everything i've been eating has been compliant, I've been having some pretty intense and uncomfortable GI issues. With these issues, I have gained 6 lbs even though I'm eating as healthy as I ever have. I've been having really really bad bloating and distention where it feels like there is a rock stuck in my intestines. I think I've been eating entirely too much fruit and nuts and that could be what's causing a lot of my issues. I just want this to get better. My new goals are to not feel bloated, be "regular" something that I've never ever been my entire life, tame the sugar dragon, lean out, and continue on the PR train I've been on.

My stomach hurts, feels, distented, and super gassy after every meal. It's especially bad after lunch. Any ideas as to what that might be or suggestiongs to make it better? I have a GI appointment scheduled, but not until July 1

I typically have eggs and bacon with a fruit and vegetable for breakfast, grilled chicken and vegetable for lunch, a larabar/fruit and almond butter pre workout, and fish, sweet potato and vegetable for dinner.

I am open to any and all suggestions. What's happening?

Could you post a few days' worth of meals here? I know you gave some general information in your post, but could you be more specific?

Fruit, nuts and nut butters, and raw cruciferous veggies all can cause bloating, gas, and other digestive upsets.

A pre-workout meal should be protein and fat (for example, a hard boiled egg). Fruit and almond butter would definitely cause me some pretty intense digestive distress, and they don't really fit the template for a pre-workout meal. Nuts are a fat source on Whole30, but they are really hard on the body for many people.

Lara bars are for emergencies only, not for regular use.

Part of completing a successful Whole30 is staying off of the scale for 30 days straight.

If you have been dealing with digestive issues as a life-long problem, Whole30 won't fix that problem within 30 days. It will take longer. A regular food log can be part of identifying your particular triggers for distress, if you're into that sort of record-keeping.

Let us know more specifically what you've been eating and what day of your Whole30 you're on, plus water intake, sleep, exercise, stress level, and anything else you'd like to include. Then we can help you troubleshoot.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering.

Okay - Some thoughts.

Lay off the Larabars, nuts and nut butters.  Really.  They are famous for causing general overall gut distress.  I absolutely cannot eat a larabar - unless I want to be bloated and constipated for at least 2 days.  Nuts also will disrupt my sleep.  (This I found weird but it's true just the same)

If you are eating too many raw veggies (especially raw cauliflower and broccoli) this will also cause some general GI distress.  I went low carb last year in hopes of losing more weight.  I landed up eating quite a bit of broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts - etc.  I have never felt more uncomfortably bloated in my life.  I did this for 3 weeks - realized I wasn't helping my cause, noticed I gained about 6lbs and promptly stopped and cut back on the cruciferous veggies, added more starchies and I started feeling waaaaay better.

I also have issues with avocados - but I do realize that I am not the norm here.  I am just trying to point out possible things that might be giving you issues.

If you really want some real trouble shooting help - I suggest that you give us specific details on a couple of days worth of meals. Include specific portion sizes, activity, sleep etc.

• 1 year later...

Hello-I'm only one day 2 and am feeling this way. I've had eggs, asparagus, bell pepper for breakfast, side of pineapple, banana and almond butter for a snack, salad for lunch and the stuffed bell peppers for dinner. Is there anything I can take over the counter to help with this discomfort? 

On 2/28/2017 at 1:58 PM, jannelleq said:

Hello-I'm only one day 2 and am feeling this way. I've had eggs, asparagus, bell pepper for breakfast, side of pineapple, banana and almond butter for a snack, salad for lunch and the stuffed bell peppers for dinner. Is there anything I can take over the counter to help with this discomfort? 

Bell peppers can make my tummy feel this way.  Maybe lay off the bell pepper?  

I've had success with ginger tea.  If you're like me, the thought of putting more into your tummy is not appealing.  But a warm, strong cup of ginger tea will ease some of my discomfort within a couple of hours.  

Archived