Recipes for Low Histamine, Low FODMAP, and Autoimmune

penlynwilson

• Moderators

Does your doctor know what he/she is doing? Combining protocols is typically a bad idea and a rookie mistake. 

You can find a few autoimmune protocol cookbooks, but I am not familiar with any special resources for low histamine or low FODMAP cooking. And there is nothing on the topic of a combined protocol. 

Usually we recommend trying the "regular" whole30. That is a big enough departure from typical patterns of eating for most people, and for many people that level of restriction is enough.

Once you have done a regular whole30, you might want to try refining things further, depending on your health conditions. Is there a reason to suspect you have a reaction to histamine, an autoimmune condition, or a reaction to FODMAPs? use that information to decide which plan to try after your first whole30 is done.

Usually we recommend trying the "regular" whole30. That is a big enough departure from typical patterns of eating for most people, and for many people that level of restriction is enough.

Once you have done a regular whole30, you might want to try refining things further, depending on your health conditions. Is there a reason to suspect you have a reaction to histamine, an autoimmune condition, or a reaction to FODMAPs? use that information to decide which plan to try after your first whole30 is done.

I've done FODMAPs before and had good luck with GI issues (so I can modify the protocol to avoid those trigger foods). We're working through a lot of issues including migraines (histamine), IBS and potentionally Hashi's (autoimmune). Still waiting on test results to come back for the Hashi's.

I appreciate all of the feed back!

If you already know that a low FODMAP diet helps with your issues, then I would suggest the route of a regular Whole30 with modifications to make it low FODMAP. It's possible that Whole30 eating by itself will be sufficient to help with the migraines, IBS, and Hashimoto's. A lot of the big migraine triggers are already excluded from the Whole30 so I don't see jumping straight to autoimmune (AIP) as something that's necessarily the most helpful option. AIP is good for people who need to be that restrictive, but it also excludes some very nutritious foods like eggs and certain nuts. If Hashimoto's is an issue, then selenium is an important nutrient for you and the easiest way to get that is to pop 1-2 brazil nuts per day. (Note: that's one to two SINGLE nuts--they're potent suckers!).

I would focus on eating the highest nutrient density diet that you can while doing your Whole30 (including eggs and brazil nuts) and see where that leaves you. If you're not improving after 30 days, then it might be time to consider AIP.

If you already know that a low FODMAP diet helps with your issues, then I would suggest the route of a regular Whole30 with modifications to make it low FODMAP. It's possible that Whole30 eating by itself will be sufficient to help with the migraines, IBS, and Hashimoto's. A lot of the big migraine triggers are already excluded from the Whole30 so I don't see jumping straight to autoimmune (AIP) as something that's necessarily the most helpful option. AIP is good for people who need to be that restrictive, but it also excludes some very nutritious foods like eggs and certain nuts. If Hashimoto's is an issue, then selenium is an important nutrient for you and the easiest way to get that is to pop 1-2 brazil nuts per day. (Note: that's one to two SINGLE nuts--they're potent suckers!).

I would focus on eating the highest nutrient density diet that you can while doing your Whole30 (including eggs and brazil nuts) and see where that leaves you. If you're not improving after 30 days, then it might be time to consider AIP.

Thanks Munkers! That sounds like a plan.

Archived