Day 3, first Whole 30 and fainted last night

I have a history of fainting and when I do, I generally have grand mal seizures. So yeah, not something I want to have happen any time soon. Now I have no idea if I just passed out or had a full seizure as it was the middle of the night and felt that "feeling" as I got up to go to the bathroom. I was moving myself to the floor and then woke up to my husband over me. So fortunately I didn't get hurt.   Anyway, I went to bed last night and I did feel hungry but had an applesauce pouch and raspberries and a few nuts (mixed, unsalted). But here is what I had yesterday. Can you help me tweak it? 

M1: Woke up late as I was up all night doing the Lilly pulitzer for target sale LOL. Grabbed an applesauce and some nuts on my way out the door

M2: Skillet of sweet potatoes and mushrooms sautéed in coconut oil and medallions of beef tenderloin (yum)

M3: Baked chicken, grilled pineapple, peppers and mushrooms

Added in a few more nuts, an applesauce and raspberries at night

Drank lots of water and tea during the day.

It seems like enough food but maybe not? I have low blood sugar issues of years past but.... Thinking maybe a small meal before bed like apples with almond butter to keep the blood sugar even at night? 

Thanks for any help

• Administrators

It's hard to tell without having you list some portion sizes.  For sure your breakfast was basically non existent and it can be impossible to recover from a too-small breakfast later in the day.

Apples and almond butter in the absense of protein are not going to keep your blood sugar stable at night, it's going to spike it and ultimately lead to a crash.  Eat protein, fat and veggies (hard boiled egg, mayo, leftover dinner veggies as an example) if you have to eat at night.  If you try to craft your meals to our template (linked in my signature below), you should not have to snack.

Having said that, no one on here is medically trained or qualified to make recommendations relating to a serious pre-existing seizure condition or how to manage it.

Thanks. I understand. I haven't had a seizure in years and it was always controlled as a kid by making sure to eat breakfast. I am using the templates for portion size and if anything, maybe they are large. Maybe having a second starch at dinner might keep longer along with more protein? I don't know. I feel really weak today despite eating a big breakfast.

To clarify on nuts, on a Whole30 they are a fat, not a protein.

Definitely be sure to get a protein in at every meal, and if you need to snack, make it a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.  Try to avoid using fruit to snack on, and limit fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals only. 

Thanks. I understand. I haven't had a seizure in years and it was always controlled as a kid by making sure to eat breakfast. I am using the templates for portion size and if anything, maybe they are large. Maybe having a second starch at dinner might keep longer along with more protein? I don't know. I feel really weak today despite eating a big breakfast.

It sounds like you had a very very small breakfast, and it was missing a protein...   so maybe breakfast is still your control point, and you just need to ensure that you have a good sized breakfast that is balanced?

Could be. Thanks all. I simply slept through breakfast which rarely happens in my life. LOL I have some sort of meat with every meal but had missed the breakfast one. My history of fainting goes back to when I was a kid. Had low blood sugar and would faint or seize (usually if I was also sick or hot weather etc…some additional trigger) if I didn't eat breakfast. Grew up eating high protein breakfasts. They were awesome. I would have a grilled hamburger on toast for breakfast. Anyway, haven't fainted in years and years now. But that feeling is oh so familiar and was an "oh crap" moment. 

Tonight I feel better so maybe it was a weird thing. My 15 year old also noted that he was feeling weak and sort of sick to his stomach. SO maybe there is a bug in the house too.

Thanks all. 

Archived