Almond Milk?

Pickglen

Recently my wife came home with a carton of almond milk because Whole Foods was out of coconut milk.  I noticed it was a better option to have in my coffee and I like the taste and thickness better then coconut milk.  Is almond milk within the Whole30 rules?  

• Moderators

From the Can I Have list:

Almond Milk: Make your own

Though it may exist somewhere, compliant commercially-produced almond milk is hard to find.  Ingredients  like sugar (in any form) or carrageenan will render store-bought almond milk off-limits for your Whole30. The alternative is to make your own—but remember, no added sweetener!

Tip: Nuts and seeds aren’t your best fat choice, in general, and drinking your food is always less healthy than eating it. So when it comes to almond milk, even if you make your own… we’d rather you just eat the almonds once in a while!

Almond milk as a category of food is okay, but whether or not your particular almond milk is compliant is a different story. You'll have to read the label. Like Shannon already posted, compliant commercial almond milks are hard to find.

I've been using Whole Foods 365 Almond Milk

Heres the ingredients list: 

Organic almond milk (filtered water, organic almonds), tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, xanthan gum, potassium citrate, sunflower lecithin, vitamin a palmitate, ergocalciferol (vitamin d2), dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin e).

​there is no added sugar but it does mention sunflower lecithin.  Is sunflower lecithin bad for me?  

• Moderators

HOW MUCH of the Whole Foods compliant almond milk is acceptable in morning coffee? Do we count this as a Whole30 fat??

It is a fat. I'd base it on what tastes good to you, and also pay attention to how much fat you're getting for your meal 1 including the coffee and how it affects your satiety levels. If you can go 4 to 5 hours before your next meal, everything is good, but if you find you're not hungry 5 hours later, you may want to cut back a bit.

Archived