Whole30 Compliant Sauces to Purchase

Schnauzy

As I begin my whole30, I thought the most challenging thing would be to eliminate sugar but boy was I wrong. Cooking/meal planning is definitely a challenge for me being that I rarely cooked all my life. I want the food to be flavorful, and all the ingredients in the recipes are quite a handful! 

Are there whole30 compliant sauces that we can purchase (like tomato sauces, etc)? 

• Moderators

There are.

We hesitate to recommend brands, because recipes can change, so what used to be compliant may not be anymore, and recipes can vary from region to region, so what's compliant here may not be compliant where you are.  You really have to go to the store and just look. I've found compliant salsas, hot sauces, marinara sauces, and mustards pretty easily. Go to the Whole30 Downloads page and check out the program rules, the Sneaky Sugar list, and the Common Additives sheet so that you know what to watch for on labels, and then plan to go grocery shopping when you're not in a rush and can take your time and read labels.

You can also check out the Whole30 Approved products, but often they are hard to find in stores. I have found some of Tessemae's salad dressings at Whole Foods.

Just walk down the aisle in your grocery story and start reading the label on every single item. And I do mean everything. You'll be shocked at what you find, including a few items of "this can't possibly be compliant... *reads label* It IS compliant!" It's kind of like Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite find has been Kirkland (Costco) marinara.

My favorite, too. I couldn't make anything close to that good from scratch, and I do a lot of cooking.

Sadly, my Costco hasn't stocked in in months and no one can answer if or when it's coming back.

Edit: I finally received an email from Costco. The Kirkland Marinara sauce has been discontinued. It's not available at any Costco within a reasonable driving distance. I hope I find something suitable before cold weather.

Check out your local farmers market for jarred sauces!   River Valley Kitchens, which started out as an organic mushroom farm, makes amazing fresh sauces without sugar, which they sell at markets in Chicago and Milwaukee.  You can't tell from their website that they are sugar free, but reading the label and speaking with the purveyor in person confirmed it.  (Plus I was able to share with them how much I love their products, and how unique they are).  Good luck!

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Check out The Clothes Make The Girl blog. She has some amazing whole30 compliant sauces that you can make ahead and have on hand. Enjoy!

The Clothes Make The Girl has been rebranded -- I'm sure if you search for it, you'll still get to it, but it's now called Well Fed and can be found at www.meljoulwan.com.

Archived