Schnauzy

Day 6 (day 18)..post for yesterday

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, green tea

Mid-morning drink: chai tea (no snack before workout today b/c i was so busy with work i forgot -_-)

Meal 2: leftover cantonese egg custard pork and korean bean sprouts, small bowl of cherries

Meal 3: marinated baked chicken thigh, baby broccoli 

WOD: 40 minutes of elliptical 

Day 7 (day 19)

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, green tea

Meal 2: leftover marinated baked chicken thigh, stir fry bean sprouts and zucchini, small bowl of cherries

Snack: cashew 

Meal 3: 3 sweet potato tuna cakes from nom nom paleo, korean bean sprouts, asparagus 

Day 8 (day 20)

Oh definitely felt the cravings today because my mom made food from her hometown in China that I could not eat because of gluten. Oh man it was a battle walking through the kitchen with all that food! Along with that, my eating schedule was a little off today and I went grocery shop before lunch. I was so close to buying this poke salad that had an ingredient listed as "poke sauce." I googled and googled and couldn't find anything! It's a good thing I decided to just buy plain sashimi because that poke sauce probably had soy sauce in it. Well after this long day, I made it! I can't believe I went to 4 grocery stores today!!

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, green tea
Meal 2: sashimi with wasabi and coconut amino (so much sweeter than soy sauce :/), korean marinated spinach, small bowl of strawberries and peach
Snack: grapes, cherries, cashew nuts (yeah snacking fruits is not ideal. today was one of the toughest days so far in terms of cravings)
Meal 3: paleo butter chicken by myheartbeets, seaweed soup, chard

WOD: walk dog in park for an hour (not really a workout but some activity on Sunday)

post-67783-0-82464500-1432093523_thumb.j

Day 9 (or day 21)

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, tazo chai tea with a little coconut milk and cinnamon
Snack before workout: 1 hardboiled egg
Meal 2: leftover butter chicken, cauliflower and green beans, bowl of strawberries, grapes, cherries, apricot
Meal 3: TJ Italian chicken sausage and zoodles with marinara sauce (pic attached)

post-67783-0-56088600-1432093471_thumb.j

Day 10 (or day 22)

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, tazo chai tea with a little coconut milk and cinnamon
Meal 2: TJ italian chicken sausage, shrimp, zoodles and string mushroom in marinara sauce, bowl of strawberries, grapes, cherries, apricot

Meal 3: roasted cauliflower topped with tahini, prime short rib (yum!!!) (pic attached) The cauliflower got burnt in the oven but i took out the burnt pieces 

post-67783-0-23449400-1432097033_thumb.j

Day 11 (day 23)

I'm feeling alright nowadays. I have yet to feel the "magic blood," though it's probably too early in this stage to feel it (had to restart couple of times cause of some accidents like eating 3 cashews with peanut oil). 

Non-scale victories so far: 

- i am learning how to cook and cook A LOT now. I am making dishes from all over the world :D 

- i look forward to savory food now and enjoy my food. Also, when I cooked before I was always afraid to put more salt or spices so my food always came out bland therefore never really enjoyed it. Before, I used to look forward to sweets only

- I feel slightly lighter. Weight loss seems like it's coming slow and steady (wish it was faster though!)

- i have switched from a coffee to tea drinker 

- It seems like I have consistent energy throughout the day 

- my skin is clearer and supposedly "glows" as I've been told by some people 

- bottom line, i'm not putting sh*t into my body anymore so it feels darn good!

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, tazo chai tea

Meal 2: chicken shawarma, zoodles and bean sprouts, topped with tahini sauce (Oh WOW..so good), bowl of strawberries, cherries, grapes, peach

Meal 3: baby broccoli topped with tahini sauce, short prime rib, fish, soup (pic attached)

post-67783-0-34803300-1432178057_thumb.j

Day 12 (day 24)

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled egg, a sweet potato, chai tea

Meal 2: leftover chicken shawarma with zoodles and bean sprout, topped with tahini, bowl of fruits (10 small grapes, 5 cherries, small apricot)

Meal 3: Thai red chicken curry with carrot, mushroom, bamboo shoots (I wanted to post pic but it doesn't seem to work on my iPhone)

I was experiencing a lot of gas in my stomach today and I'm not sure why. If anyone reading this has an idea please chime in! I

Day 13 (day 25)

Meal 1: shredded potato and eggs, chai tea

Meal 2: leftover thai red chicken curry with veggies, small bowl of fruits (apricot, grapes, cherries)

Meal 3: leftover thai red chicken curry with veggies, cabbage

Bought a food processor today (dang they are expensive) now I gotta figure out all the things I can do with it..besides cauli-ricing! 

post-67783-0-48742100-1432441149_thumb.j

Day 14 (day 26) 

I have been experiencing a lot of gas and bloating these past couple of days and I dunno why. My bowel movement has not been that regular as well. I googled some threads and it seemed like people have been having the same problem late into their whole30s. 

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, chai tea

Meal 2: zoodles with mushroom and sausage mixed with marinara sauce (pic attached)

Snack: small bowl of cherries, grapes, strawberries (yeah..fruits as snack a no-no)

Meal 3: asian cauliflower fried rice from nom nom paleo.  (This recipe has bacon in it and I bought a pkg that had sugar in it..stupid me..I saw it on the nom nom paleo shopping list for Whole Foods and immediately thought it'd be compliant but nope..it's paleo but not whole30! I hastily went to the market again to pick up some ground chicken..oh the things we do to stay compliant. Anyway, this is the 2nd time I've eaten cauli-rice and unfortunately I am not a big fan :(..goodbye food processor.)

My mom has been making a lot of dishes from her hometown in China. It is so tempting to eat some but I am sticking to my plan. I don't even know if I want to eat it after my whole30 because it triggers an unhealthy response..it's hard to stop cause it's so good. Though, I never had a problem with savory food much as I did with sweets. So..I'll see.. 

post-67783-0-18045700-1432440803_thumb.j

Hiya Schauzy! I'm enjoying reading along here - I have a suggestion about your mom's hometown food. Can you find out the main ingredients in the dishes (wheat, soy, legumes, for instance) that might not be Whole30 compliant, and then do a controlled reintroduction of those elements once you've completed your thirty days? It would be great to know if, for instance, certain dishes are really off limits except for very special occasions because you'll really pay for it the next day; while maybe other dishes are perfectly fine and you can happily eat them every time she cooks them. And who knows, you might even discover ways to adapt dishes that she makes for a Whole30 friendly lifestyle! Whole30 forum member GlennR has done this with MANY traditional Filipino dishes.

Just a thought - food made with love deserves a chance, especially when it connects you to your and your mom's cultural history. :wub:

Hi AmyS :) Very good points you have there! My mom makes it on occasion so it shouldn't hurt to have some..once I do the reintroduction of course. The main ingredients have gluten and soy. It would be awesome to adapt the dishes! Hmm so if I find out that my body does not have a negative response to gluten, soy, legmes etc. does that mean it's perfectly fine to consume them again i.e. it's a perfectly healthy choice?

um, popping in here with some bad news: gluten and soy aren't really a good choice for anyone to eat regularly. You may be fine to have it on special occasions (I hope so!) but most people who do not have a pronounced reaction still feel better if they do not eat these foods on a regular basis.

I'm posting for yesterday and today.

Day 15 (day 27)

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled egg, sweet potato, green moroccan mint tea 

Meal 2: fiji-indian chicken curry, indian potato hash, spinach, few grapes, cherries and  a strawberry (pic 1)

Meal 3: short prime rib, roasted cauliflower topped with tahini 

Activity: walk in the park

Day 16 (day 28) 

I dined out for the first time today of my w30. I ate at a chinese restaurant with my family. I confirmed that the hainan chicken and steamed choy sum didn't contain noncompliant ingredients. I really hope that was the case....and that they didn't sneak anything else in there!! Anyway, it might be TMI but i was definitely experiencing some pms today... not really a good day and doesnt help that the 3 day weekend is over 

Meal 1: potato hash, 3 fried eggs, chai tea (pic 2) 

Meal 2: hainan chicken, choy sum 

Snack: couple of grapes, small plum and a strawberry (i mainly snack fruits on weekends but try to eat with meal 2)

Meal 3: fiji-indian chicken curry (cooked again) with a bit of potato..like 4 small pieces, green beans (pic 3) 

Activity: walk in park and small hike

I have been cooking a lot of indian food lately..adding a lot of spices like cumin seeds, tumeric, etc.. Before w30, I thought indian food was unhealthy because of all the oil in it but I learned that indian dishes can be very healthy. I put oil, onion, garlic, chilli, spices and some protein like chicken and TA-DA whole30 compliant dish! There is still some psychological feeling where I feel a little unhealthy after eating it but maybe because I can't believe healthy food can be so delicious. It's not the same without rice, but I'll live :D 

post-67783-0-70935500-1432613038_thumb.j

post-67783-0-39484400-1432613063_thumb.j

post-67783-0-39560600-1432613117_thumb.j

Day 17 (day 29)

I thought my friend and I had settled that we were going to 'raincheck' her birthday lunch since I'm still on w30 but today she told me she wanted to go to the theme park six flags. Well..there were 2 red flags: i'm still on my w30 and ...it's that time of the month (sorry if it's TMI). Just the thought of dining out during my w30 stresses me out so I asked if we can go in a few weeks. I feel bad because it's her birthday but I really hope it doesn't hurt if we postpone it. 

Meal 1: smoked salmon egg scramble with spinach and avocado, green tea moroccan mint (such a hearty breakfast!) 

Meal 2: leftover fiji-indian chicken curry, green beans, tiny bit of potato, serving of fruit inclu. grapes, strawberry, cherries

Meal 3: pork stir fried with anchovies and onion, shrimp, zucchini/squash

WOD: 40 minutes elliptical 

I forgot to mention this past weekend I was "that guy/girl" who basically made a scene of what I couldn't eat. I ate at my mom's friend's house and I made chicken curry to make sure I had a compliant dish to eat. We decided to cook vegetables at their house and the friend wanted to put oyster sauce in it which has sugar so I had to stop her so I could take out some veggies for myself. Stupid me..I saw sesame oil and just spurt some in my veggies..only to find out it had soybean oil in it. Grr. I had to ask for other veggies and cook it again. My mom's friend was nice and was trying to accommodate me but deep down she probably thought what a pain in the ass i am!

post-67783-0-36442800-1432701704_thumb.j

Day 18 (day 30)

Meal 1: smoked salmon spinach egg scramble with avocado (pic 1), chai tea 

Meal 2: cajun marinated drumstick with leftover spinach egg scramble (pic 2..not enough veggies), small bowl of cherries, grapes, strawberry

Afternoon drink: peppermint tea 

Meal 3: small portions (few bites) of fish, crab, steak, and potato/okra indian style (pic 3)

WOD: 40 minutes of brisk walk on treadmill (3.5 mph). 

Day 19 (day 31) 

Dreamt that i ate a bunch of pizza bread and before I knew it I had to restart and had full regret that I "did not know" it wasn't compliant  :rolleyes:  :D . Phew, glad that was a dream! Also dreamt that my dog ran off and I chased after her like an olympian.. 

Meal 1: prosciutto asparagus egg scramble, green moroccan mint tea 

Meal 2: leftover cajun marinated drumstick and potato/okra indian style, small bowl of cherries, strawberry

Meal 3: pork belly from theclothesmakethegirl (pic 4..i think i overroasted it..my oven is quite powerful), stir fry baby broccoli, asparagus, mushroom and bits of prosciutto 

WOD: 40 minutes of brisk walk on treadmill (3.5 mph) 

post-67783-0-75059100-1432870818_thumb.jpost-67783-0-75248900-1432870827_thumb.jpost-67783-0-28466000-1432870836_thumb.jpost-67783-0-19671200-1432870842_thumb.j

day 20 (day 32) 

Meal 1: sweet potato, 3 hardboiled eggs, green moroccan mint tea

Meal 2: leftover roasted pork belly, zucchini/squash and mushroom stir fry, small bowl of fruits incl cherries, strawberry, apricot

Meal 3: sweet potato, salmon, soup 

WOD: brisk walk on treadmill (3.5 mph) 

day 21 (day 33)

Meal 1: prosciutto egg asparagus scramble, green moroccan mint tea 

Meal 2: applegate all beef hot dog, zucchini, mushroom stir fry (pic 1), bowl of fruits incl grapes, apricot, strawberries (pic 2) (i need to decrease my portion of fruit..it's summer though and there's so much yummy fruit  :lol: )

Meal 3: fiji-indian lamb potato curry (pic 3), garlic roasted cauliflower 

I had a headache almost the entire day..i dunno why. I had enough sleep and ate all that healthy food but still..hmm 

WOD: walk in park with dog 

day 22 (day 34) 

Meal 1: smoked salmon egg asparagus okra scramble (pic 4), stumptown cold brew coffee (so good!!!!) with 2 tb coconut milk and cinnamon (pic 5) 

Meal 2: leftover lamb potato curry, leftover veggie scramble from meal 1, small apricot and plum, strawberry

Meal 3: thai red curry chicken (pic 6) with various veggie (i put shrimp sauce instead of shrimp paste cause I couldn't find a compliant version...and ehh it ruined my curry :( it was too salty and I think I put too much. next time I'll just buy the curry paste..making the paste takes so long and we have to grind the crap out of it in the mortar and pestle :rolleyes: ), boiled zucchini and beans 

WOD: walk in park with dog 

I noticed since I started my whole30, i'm on my feet most of the day..whether it's grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc... My energy is so much more consistent and I don't wake up feeling tired (FTMP). The only thing i really miss is going out to eat with friends and family. 

I drank a can of the stumptown coffee today ($3.99 @ whole foods ..OMG) and felt a little antsy. I think it's cause I haven't had coffee in a while. Good thing I drank it before noon.. 

People have also commented that I look slimmer. For some reason this weekend I felt like my clothes are tighter and my face looks kinda bloated..Well..it'll pass..I hope 

post-67783-0-88091100-1433127621_thumb.jpost-67783-0-68225900-1433127632_thumb.j post-67783-0-78684800-1433127947_thumb.jpost-67783-0-19063900-1433128674_thumb.jpost-67783-0-50032800-1433127920_thumb.jpost-67783-0-93101300-1433128258_thumb.j

day 23 (day 35)

I found out the coffee I drank yesterday had about 300mg of caffeine!! Oh dear..definitely diluting that next time.

Meal 1: sweet potato, 3 HB eggs, green Moroccan mint tea with chrysanthemum

Meal 2: leftover thai chicken red curry with veggies, cauliflower, small bowl of grapes, strawberry, cherries

Meal 3: potato cauliflower w/ coconut milk, indian chicken gizzard

WOD: 40 minutes on elliptical

Day 24 (day 36)

I had a dream last night that spam was compliant :D and had all the healthy ingredients. Wonder if there’s anything out there..will google later

Meal 1: sweet potato, 3 HB eggs, green moroccan mint tea with crysanthemum

Meal 2: potato and zucchini noodle, smoked salmon, small bowl of grapes and strawberry

Meal 3: a little potato and okra, chard and chard soup, short prime rib 

WOD: 30 minutes elliptical and 10 minutes treadmill

wow..just realized i havent posted for a few days..still going strong on my w30! that's almost over! 

Day 25 (day 37) Wednesday

Meal 1: egg prosciutto asparagus scramble

Meal 2: smoked salmon, leftover egg veggie scramble from meal 1, small bowl of fruits

Meal 3: short prime rib, zucchini/squash

WOD: 30 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes treadmill

Day 26 (day 38) Thursday

Meal 1: 3 HB eggs, sweet potato, green Moroccan mint tea

Meal 2: spinach, zucchini with all-beef hot dog, small bowl of fruit incl grapes, strawberries, cherries

Meal 3: thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots, mushroom, red pepper

WOD: 30 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes treadmill

Day 27 (day 39)

Friday

Meal 1: 3 HB eggs, sweet potato, green Moroccan mint tea

Meal 2: leftover thai red chicken cury and veggies, small bowl of fruits incl grapes, starwberries, cherries

Meal 3: egg ground pork custard with salty egg yolks, boiled okra

WOD: 30 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes treadmill

I will update with my thoughts later about nearing the end of my w30 

Day 28 (day 40)

Saturday

M1: sweet potato, 3 HB eggs, stumptown cold brew coffee (omg..the coffee is way too strong for me)

M2: leftover egg pork custard with salty egg, spinach stir fry with bits of prosciutto, apricot and peach

M3: el pollo loco leg and thigh, boiled choy sum

Trial and error..Coffee rarely ever makes me jittier..but this stumptown cold brew is so strong! I was feeling antsy all day and did not get good sleep throughout the weekend. :\

Day 29 (41)

Sunday

M1: egg/spinach/smoked salmon scramble, green jasmine tea

M2: chicken with indian spices, sweet potato fries (this was so good!!! This was kind of a food with no breaks for me so I will only make one serving next time)

M3: turkey meatballs w/ mushroom marinara from primal paleo and nom nom paleo, bok choy stir fry

WOD: walk in the park

Day 30 (42)

M1: egg/spinach/smoked salmon scramble, green Moroccan mint tea

M2: leftover turkey meatball w/ mushroom marinara, bok choy, fruit incl grapes, rasberries

M3: el pollo loco leg and thigh, boiled choy sum

WOD: 40 minutes elliptical

Will post my results and log in the post-w30 log section!! 

Archived