Schnauzy

Today Monday, April 27 is Day 1 of my first W30! I have been a sugar addict (I would eat a cake, cookie, donut, macaron, sweetened drink- all this plus my other meals in a day.) I have been trying to lose weight for a decade or more and have not been successful with maintaining a good weight. WELL, I hope and am determined that this is going to change with W30!! I'd like to change my relationship with food and W30 has so far definitely given me a different perspective on food. 

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, roasted brussel sprouts and potatoes, EV olive oil

Meal 2: seared chicken thigh, roasted brussel sprouts and potatoes, EV olive oil, grapes

Meal 3: carrot, yuca, kale, chicken thigh in soup, EV olive oil 

Food Mood: Hanging in there.. I was experiencing some bloating today so hope this goes away.

Challenges: I was very stressed with all the cooking and meal planning (i rarely have ever cooked) but thankfully my mom has been giving me pointers and the w30 community has been helpful :). Also, I'm still trying to get a good sense of how much food I need so that I'm not hungry after a meal.

• Moderators

Welcome!

Figuring out how much food you need is definitely a learning process, so keep trying different things.

I do think your meals are likely a little be light on protein. If eggs are your only protein source, you should aim for as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. I'm not sure if your chicken thighs are bone-in or boneless -- it can be hard to tell the real size on the bone-in ones, but they're really pretty small. I buy boneless ones if I can find them, and they can be tiny. With the bone in, they often look bigger, but part of that is the bone. You probably would want two of them in each meal, maybe three.

Brussel sprouts are cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage. This type of vegetable is actually pretty notorious for causing bloating and other digestive issues for people, especially if you eat a lot of them. Be sure they're cooked thoroughly, and maybe don't have them more than one meal a day if you can avoid it.

You'll get all the cooking figured out, it does get easier.  If you haven't already, you might look at how The Clothes Make The Girl discusses doing a weekly cookup -- it's not super detailed meal planning in the sense of mapping out what you're going to have for every single meal, every single day, but it makes sure you have plenty of food on hand for the week, prepped in a way to make daily cooking quicker. (Also read through her Whole30 weekly meal plans for more details on how she does it:  Week 1 is here, and there are links to three more at the end of that post.)

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I added coconut milk to my black coffee. Do you recommend that i have 3 whole eggs then?

I had about 5 oz of boneless chicken thigh in each meal.

Also, I recall the book stating that we don't need to measure our food and just judge by how satisfied we are. But the book also has a meal template (for example the protein should be a palm size) so I'm just kinda confused on which to follow?

Thank you very much for your input

• Moderators

I just realized my coconut milk has sodium metabisulfite. Is that noncompliant..meaning I need to reset? 

Yep. The sulphites in your coconut milk are worthy of a restart as they are serious gut disruptors.

• Moderators

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I added coconut milk to my black coffee. Do you recommend that i have 3 whole eggs then?

I had about 5 oz of boneless chicken thigh in each meal.

Also, I recall the book stating that we don't need to measure our food and just judge by how satisfied we are. But the book also has a meal template (for example the protein should be a palm size) so I'm just kinda confused on which to follow?

Thank you very much for your input

We don't want you measuring your food except in the sense of making a judgement that you are eating at least a palm-size portion of protein at each meal and that you are filling your plate with veggies. And when it comes to eggs, we want you to eat as many at a meal as you can hold in one hand. These are important. Adding coconut milk to your coffee doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Many people do not eat enough as they begin a Whole30. Our culture is infused with the false belief that the way to lose weight is to eat small amounts of food. The reality is that our bodies demand nourishment and when we eat less than our bodies need, our metabolism slows and fat loss stops. During a Whole30, we nag you to eat adequate amounts of food so that your hormones up-regulate your metabolism and you begin to burn fat faster. Eating too little interferes with this process. It is possible to eat too much during a Whole30, but that is rare except among those who indulge in nuts and nut butters. 

By the way, keep studying the meal template and make sure you always eat at least to the minimums recommended: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Day 1 (should've been day 2 but darn coconut milk ingredient >=)) 

As the book states, day 2-3 is when people experience headaches and grogginess and that is exactly what I experienced today. My head started hurting right when I woke up so I took a tylenol and the headache came back later in the day (maybe because i had a 7 hour spread between meal 2 and 3). 

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, kale, choy sum, sweet potato, carrots (I'll probably increase to 3 hardboiled eggs going forward) 

Meal 2: beef, kale, choy sum, sweet potato, carrots, grapes 

Meal 3: beef and soup with carrot, broccoli, yuca

I had cravings of Yoshinoya today and thought about eating after this W30 is over, but hope my thoughts will change. 

Mood: still hanging in there. Gotta learn how to spice up my food - I've been getting very bored with veggie soup. 

BTW, I am so glad this forum exists. It is definitely making this experience a little easier. I really appreciate all the advice/feedback from the W30 community and moderators! Thank you. 

Day 2 

Did not have any headache today, phew. Energy level was pretty alright. I had cravings here and there and while I was listening to the It Starts with Food audiobook when they mentioned cookies and all those sweets.. 

Meal 1: 3 scrambled whole eggs, potato

Meal 2: stir-fry boneless chicken, broccoli, carrot, grapes

Snack: green Moroccan mint tea (dunno if this counts as a snack. i also had it in the afternoon but will keep it decaf next time)   

Meal 3: steak (don't think it was organic), choy sum, fish 

most were seasoned and with minced garlic

Feels like time is going so slow. I'm only on day 2! 

Time will speed up quick enough... Honestly!

Are you adding fat to your meals? You don't have any listed and you really do need it.... 

haha funny thing I need to reset today bc I had cashews with peanut oil.. yeah there is some fat though probably not enough. sometimes my parents cook for me and although i tell them to add 1-2 tb of EV olive oil they probably dont add as much as I want. I do feel satisfied after my meals though 

Day 1 (for the third time) I ate 3 cashews today until I decided to look at the ingredients and saw peanut oil..and hastily google searched if that was ok. *thumbs down*... I didn't think they'd put any ingredients in there except for, well, cashews..and "unsalted" just screamed healthy to me. lesson learned. 

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled whole eggs, 2 small sweet potato, black coffee (hmm i just realized i had no fat for meal 1...)

Meal 2: stir fry brussel sprouts and chicken, some EV olive oil, grapes

Snack: 1 sweet potato (I was feeling very hungry and that was the only cooked thing I had)

Meal 3: steak, choy sum, EV olive oil (my food felt drenched in oil this time), orange

I don't know if it was before or after i ate the 3 cashews but i had a headache. then later in the day a little before dinner, i started feeling nauseous..maybe because i was hungry. 

Day 2 (technically day 5)

it is technically day 5 and i was definitely feeling the cravings today. I was cranky, my legs were sore (not due to exercise), and was FTMP not looking forward to eating b/c i knew it was just veggies and some protein source (i am used to eating it with rice or noodles). i was also worried about post-w30, but like AmyS said i should just focus solely on the first 30 days. 

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, black coffee

Meal 2: stir fry pork, choy sum and brussel sprouts, EV olive oil, grapes

Meal 3: zoodles (yum!), pork, shrimp, EV olive oil

Going to TJs this weekend. Will get some coconut milk to add to my morning coffee so I'll have some fat for meal 1. 

Day 2 (technically day 5)

it is technically day 5 and i was definitely feeling the cravings today. I was cranky, my legs were sore (not due to exercise), and was FTMP not looking forward to eating b/c i knew it was just veggies and some protein source (i am used to eating it with rice or noodles). i was also worried about post-w30, but like AmyS said i should just focus solely on the first 30 days. 

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, black coffee

Meal 2: stir fry pork, choy sum and brussel sprouts, EV olive oil, grapes

Meal 3: zoodles (yum!), pork, shrimp, EV olive oil

Going to TJs this weekend. Will get some coconut milk to add to my morning coffee so I'll have some fat for meal 1. 

You also need to add more protein to meal one - I find if you mix it up (ie. not just eggs, maybe try adding some fish) you'll feel fuller for longer....

You really do need to eat more to keep those cravings at bay.

Day 3 (or day 6) 

Had a pretty good day. My energy was very consistent throughout the day until the end when my legs were starting to get sore and tired. I enjoyed my meals and bought some fresh organic fruit from the farmers market. I spent a couple of hours looking up 'easy' whole30 recipes and came upon theclothesmakethegirl, nomnompaleo, and some others. and WOW! the food looked so good and so healthy too :). I jotted down the ingredients and went to trader joes and sprouts. i bought approx $100 in groceries..shopping organic is not cheap! Btw, I saw a delicious chocolate chip caramel cookie at sprouts and thought NO WAY am I having that.  B)

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, black coffee (starting tomorrow i'll add coconut milk to my coffee)

Meal 2: sauteed lettuce, baked 5 small marinated drumsticks, some EV olive oil, small apricot and peach, 3 small strawberries (the fruits combined were about a handful)

Meal 3: sauteed chinese veggie, 5 small baked marinated drumsticks, some EV olive oil

I marinated some "Damn Fine Chicken" (nomnompaleo recipe) for tomorrow's lunch. Can't wait to try it! 

Day 4 (or day 7) 

It is Sunday and I usually sleep in but decided to get up at 7:30am and have breakfast. I'm posting earlier today before meal 3 because I felt like I may have overconsumed during breakfast and lunch and wanted some input. I made the "damn fine chicken" recipe and the drumsticks were so good that I kept wanting to eat more. This is what happens when there's yummy healthy food! So..here are my meals so far:

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, coffee blended with 1 tb of coconut oil, 2 tb of coconut milk, sprinkle of cinnamon

Meal 2: 2.5 large damn fine chicken drumsticks, sauteed choy sum and kale, 4 small strawberries and a small apricot 

*Adding in Meal 3: 1 large damn fine chicken drumstick, some pork and fish, chard

I know I should be eating but I also want to make sure I am losing weight...so If i should reduce or eliminate something, please let me know. I will finish this post later today.

Day 5 (or day 8)

Worked out for the first time in months. I went on the elliptical for 40 minutes during my work lunch and man...i have so much discomfort in my legs. Maybe I overworked it? Because usually it's sore the day after not day of. Also, i was really thirsty during my workout so I kept having to stop and drink some water as I jogged. 

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, coffee blended with 2tb of coconut milk, sprinkle of cinnamon

Meal 2: cabbage, ground beef, EV olive oil (garbage stir fry from nom nom paleo), handful of strawberries and grapes

Meal 3: zoodles, eggs, almond meal as breadcrumbs, and EV olive oil (comfort noodles from theclothesmakethegirl)

Day 6 (or day 9)

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, coffee with 2 tb of coconut milk 

Before workout snack: 10% of a lara bar

Meal 2: chinese broccoli, beef, carrot, EV olive oil, strawberries, orange

Meal 3: stir fry broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, pork, shrimp 

WOD: 40 minutes elliptical

Off to bed! Slow, sleepy day. 

Forgot to post yesterday, so here it is (warning: I’m going to rant):

Day 0 (or day 7, or day 10)

Yeah…day 0… again!!! I was on a roll until I had some of my mom’s vegetable soup. I confirmed with her the ingredients  -- she told me it was made with just carrots and chard. I drank the entire bowl until at the bottom…I found barley!!! Grr.. she didn’t know I couldn’t have barley on my w30.

I have a friend’s birthday coming up and had it not been for this restart my w30 would have ended the day right before. I know I shouldn’t be even thinking about this and should focus on here and now but just the thought that I’d have to restart again is annoying if there are no compliant options at the restaurant we’re going to. I really don’t like the fact that I’ll need to ask the restaurant to make all these changes for me. I enjoy being on the whole30 but like Melissa said it’s not a long-term thing and sometimes I do want to go out to eat with my family and eat those things noncompliant things once in a while.

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs,  sweet potato, black coffee with 2 tb coconut milk

Snack: 1 hardboiled egg before working out

Meal 2: ground beef, shredded carrots, cabbage, EV olive oil, orange and strawberries

Meal 3: fish, chicken thigh, chard, soup made with carrot, chard, barley (noncompliant..bad move)

Day 1 (or day 8, or day 11)

I've been looking up whole30 recipes and there are so many yummy options! Can't wait to make it and try them. I never knew that healthy food could be this flavorful and delicious.

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, coffee with 2 tb coconut milk

Snack: 1 hardboiled egg before working out

Meal 2: pan marinated chicken thigh, chinese broccoli, EV olive oil, small bowl of strawberries, blueberries, grapes 

Meal 3: baked marinated chicken thigh, zucchini/squash, EV olive oil 

My clothes are starting to feel more loose :)

Post for May 8

Day 2 (or day 9/12)

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato,coffee with coconut milk

snack: hardboiled egg before working out

Meal 2: baby broccoli, scallop, beef, small bowl of strawberries, blueberry, grapes

Meal 3: marinated chicken drumsticks, zoodles (zucchini, squash, potato, brussel sprouts) 

Post for May 9 

Day 3 (or day 10/13)

Meal 1: 3 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk 

Meal 2: marinated chicken drumsticks, zoodles (zucchini, potato), strawberries

Meal 3: choy sum, brussel sprouts, 2 pieces of costco st louis marinated ribs (yum!) (EDIT: noncompliant/unintentional), small piece of salmon 

Will post more tomorrow about my thoughts and etc. 

Day 1 (day 13..realized i messed up my days too..man perfection has not been my friend on whole30!)

I just found out the costco st louis marinated ribs i ate yesterday had sugar in it. Before I ate it I googled the ingredients and I could have sworn  I did not see sugar. I also ate cucumbers today that were drained in sriracha (watered down) ..that was also an accident. I just ate it and before I knew it I thought oh #$#! and called my mom right away and asked her what kind of "chilli" she used. I really gotta be careful. Here goes again back to Day 1. BUT....

I actually don't mind all that much going back to Day 1 because I am feeling good!!!! I feel my energy level has been so stable. People have told me my skin is glowing and that I look slimmer. So many non-scale victories so far! I don't even wanna weigh myself yet!! I am beginning to think more and more how this type of healthy eating can become MY LIFESTYLE. It is such a great feeling to have because for years I have succumbed to bad eating habits, sugar addiction, etc. etc.. ! I'm looking forward to savory food and cooking good healthy food. I look up recipes often. This stuff has never happened before. I don't wanna jinx it by saying all this -- I really hope my mentality will stay like this! 

I'm also thinking of quitting coffee. Still haven't made up my mind yet. I drink one cup a day so not too much. I'll see...

Meal 1: sweet potato hash, 3 fried eggs, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: leftover st louis marinated ribs (noncompliant/unintentional :(), cucumber watered down sriracha (noncompliant/unintentional :())

Note: I had a headache after this meal. I dunno if it has to do with all this noncompliant food I ate

Meal 3: scallop, saag gosht from nom nom paleo (ohh the amount of spices I put in this dish, yum!), choy sum 

Activity today: walk dog in park 

Day 2 (day 14)

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, green tea

Snack: 1 hardboiled egg and green tea

Meal 2: leftover saag gosht, small bowl of fruits w/ strawberry, grapes, peach , blueberry

Meal 3: jerk chicken thigh, coconut cauliflower rice

WOD: 40 minutes of elliptical 

Day 3 (day 15)

Snack before workout: 1 hardboiled egg

Meal 2: leftover jerk chicken thigh, coconut cauliflower rice, bowl of fruits w/ strawberry, grapes, blueberry

Afternoon drink: peppermint tea 

Meal 3: baked salmon, zoodles (zucchini, squash)

I noticed my nails have been going growing so fast and my skin is clearer :) 

Day 4 (day 16)

Meal 2: 2 marinated chicken drumsticks, zucchini, squash, grapes, blueberries, small apricot

Meal 3: beef, fish, baby broccoli 

Day 5 (day 17)

Meal 2: beef, zucchini, asparagus, bowl of cherries

Afternoon drink: chamomile tea

Meal 3: cantonese egg custard pork by nom nom paleo, korean bean sprouts, vegetable soup

I cook now! AMAZING. Before the whole30, I could not imagine myself cooking. It has definitely opened my eyes to the world of spices and all those flavors in savory food :)

Anyway, sometimes I feel like I'm eating too much.. it's hard to tell if I am full or satisfied. 

Archived