Mayo Failure

Susan W

Mayo failure...ugh! Just made may with two eggs and two cups of oil (light olive oil) and it turned out so thin. I feel like I dribbled it in slow enough. I googled "thin mayo" and there are some tricks to thicken it up. Adding two tsp of almost boiling water which cooks it a tiny bit. If that doesn't work, take an egg yolk and whisk and then dribble the mayo into it. Anyone have any ideas? :wacko:

ETA: I fixed it!!! Took two egg yolks (one may have been enough) and put it in the blended and pulsed it. Then took the broken mayo and dribbled it in. It is thick and smooth and fabulous. I could eat it with a spoon.

Maybe it will thicken in the fridge. Did it get a little warmer maybe since you made a big batch and possibly blended it longer? Maybe add a little extra lemon juice or vinegar if you added more egg and the ratio is off a little bit?

My last batch was pretty thin, but once it chilled it ended up perfect.

Good Luck!

Maybe it will thicken in the fridge. Did it get a little warmer maybe since you made a big batch and possibly blended it longer? Maybe add a little extra lemon juice or vinegar if you added more egg and the ratio is off a little bit?

My last batch was pretty thin, but once it chilled it ended up perfect.

Good Luck!

No, I put it in there and went back to it and it wasn't only thin, but totally broken which means I probably went too fast with the oil. It sure didn't feel like I did. I think I'll use my cuisinart next time instead of my blender. I feel like I have more control and can see it. My blender is a fancy one from Williams Sonoma and has a stainless blender cup.

No, I put it in there and went back to it and it wasn't only thin, but totally broken which means I probably went too fast with the oil. It sure didn't feel like I did. I think I'll use my cuisinart next time instead of my blender. I feel like I have more control and can see it. My blender is a fancy one from Williams Sonoma and has a stainless blender cup.

If you told me you used macadamia nut oil and that happened I would cry! :o

Next time, add 1/4 to 1/2c of oil to your recipe. Sometimes that happens to me when I'm being stingy with my oil ;0):

I think I have decided that mayo is darn tricky, but I LOVE that it can be fixed. I used 2 cups oil, 2 eggs, 2 TBS of lemon juice. I think I will cut back on the oil next time at first and see how it goes and then add more and then cry if it breaks again. :)

Archived