Ergg..having serious cravings on day 5. How do you handle eating out after your whole30?

technically it's my day 1 since i had some 'small' slips of 3 cashews and some noncompliant coconut milk. I am just thinking about what happens when my w30 is over. yes i've read about the reintroduction stage but i'm seeking more tips about the experience of eating out after w30.

I mainly eat out on weekends and it's usually at asian (chinese) restaurants. It's almost always family-style and almost all the foods are of probably bad oil, gluten, and simply noncompliant with whole30. I guess if whole30 helped with controlling the amount I eat, that would help with my weight loss. 

I just don't want my w30 experience to go down the drain when i begin eating out again.

Guest Andria

The Whole30 is a program that is intended to change the way we think about food.  You won't do yourself any favors to do a Whole30 and then return to all your pre-Whole30 eating habits.  With that said, the reintroduction period is designed to help you determine if you can allow some of the previously off-plan foods in your diet without consequence.  

You said yourself these restaurants often cook with subpar ingredients: gluten, seed oils and you didn't even mention soy and MSG.  Maybe you can't assess this now, but why would you want to eat at a place like this after eating so well for 30 days??  

technically it's my day 1 since i had some 'small' slips of 3 cashews and some noncompliant coconut milk. I am just thinking about what happens when my w30 is over. yes i've read about the reintroduction stage but i'm seeking more tips about the experience of eating out after w30.

I mainly eat out on weekends and it's usually at asian (chinese) restaurants. It's almost always family-style and almost all the foods are of probably bad oil, gluten, and simply noncompliant with whole30. I guess if whole30 helped with controlling the amount I eat, that would help with my weight loss. 

I just don't want my w30 experience to go down the drain when i begin eating out again.

Your thread title indicates that you're having serious cravings. In your post you say you ate cashews and non-compliant coconut milk - was that because of those cravings?

The first thing to do is not to think about Day 31 or thereafter, it's to think about the next 30 days. Please remember that we do very very VERY much want you to eat. Actual food. At least three times per day. If I'm understanding correctly that you were extremely hungry and therefore ate cashews and non-compliant coconut milk, then I'm also guessing that you just really need to eat.  Here's what we want you to aim for:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein. That's the length, width, and thickness of your palm. Where eggs are your protein, eat the whole egg (eat all of the yolks!). A serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your hand, for most women that's 3-4.

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat. Compliant canned coconut milk is a popular fat source. If you like it, stock up. Nuts are ONLY a fat source, not a protein source, on Whole30. They are extremely problematic because they keep sugar dragons roaring and they cause major digestive distress for many.

3. 1-3 cups of veggies. If you're eating a salad, that's like a bucketful. You need to consider what those greens would wilt down to and measure accordingly.

Do the above three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking. If you are not hungry in the mornings, it is even more important to eat a full Meal One (the meal formerly known as breakfast).  Each meal should truly satisfy you for 4-5 hours. If you are hungry between meals, eat a mini-meal featuring protein, fat, and veggies - and the next day eat a bigger breakfast, and bigger meals overall.

Eat up! I just checked your log, and you're just not really eating. I mean, really. You need to eat. Food. Each and every meal. Protein. Fat. Vegetables. Really. Eat more than you think is morally right and proper. You are not craving, you are HUNGRY. Eat up.

And what's with the boring spices? When there's cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder, Frank's hot sauce, homemade mayonnaise, guacamole, and all sorts of things out there? Spice it up, darlin'! I saw that you parents cook for you and that's nice, but spend your time learning to cook a few things and adding spices that you like.

Really, focusing on what Chinese food you're going to eat on Day 31 is a recipe for collapse. Focus on eating. Focus on cooking. Focus on making your food as delicious as you can, and then make it more delicious. (Spoiler alert: you're going to discover you like your cooking better than anyone else's. Believe.)

Eat up!!!

thanks all for your feedback. Sometimes I don't have a choice of what restaurant I wanna go to - for example if my family (including extended family) wants to get together on a sunday they always go to a chinese restaurant. There are also limited healthy options in the area - i guess i gotta get used to dining in!!

Amy, i ate the noncompliant cashew and coconut milk on accident. if i were to go noncompliant on purpose, i'd go for cookie ;). that's true..i should just think about the next 30 days and that's all. I worry a bit too much and i was afraid i'll go back to my bad habits. thanks for the tips. 

Nah, you're not gonna go back. You're starting this young. I bet you'll be leading your family members to better restaurants (and maybe even eventually to your own kitchen) for dinners out. Go ahead and dream ahead, but dream big. :wub:

Archived