Day 7, Feeling sad and alone

Hey all, 

Just reaching out.  I just opted out of my 15 year college reunion partly because I have an 11 month old son who would have to come with me, which would be fine, but it's hard enough feeding him, and being on the whole 30 at home.  I was imagining trying to find food and not having a glass of wine, and how I'd probably cheat on the Whole30 if I went.  It's also expensive to fly cross country.  But the main reason I resisted is because I knew I wouldn't be able to hold onto this commitment to myself.

I've been feeling sort of sad the last few days, and lonely, and now the sadness has kind of taken over.  Couple that with being a stay at home mom and already feeling isolated.  Jeez louise!

Anyhow, I'm just feeling down.  :(

Thanks for listening.

Molly

• Moderators

Hi, Molly, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down. You might look around here on the forum and find an active group to be part of, so you can check in every day and hear from others about their experiences and get some support when you're having a rough day. It's not exactly the same as interacting face to face, but it can be helpful.

This may sound strange, but have you been eating at least one serving of starchy veggies every day? If you're not, you should be. You may even need more than that. Many people find if they go too low carb, they feel depressed or anxious or just generally moody.

I don't know your situation, but I know that when my sister moved to a new city and gave up working to be a SAHM, she went through feeling isolated and lonely. She found a MOPS group and met people through it, and it really helped her. If you don't have a group like that that you're a part of, maybe look for one. I know sticking to whole30 while out in public is hard but you can make it work with a little extra planning. We definitely don't want you to feel isolated or lonely.

Hey Molly,

I'm sorry you're feeling sad and alone. I was a SAHM for years and know it can be very isolating and more difficult than you probably imagined at times.

But I have to say that you should feel pretty great about a statement you made...that you want to hold on to this commitment to yourself. That's impressive and exciting! That's a tough thing for so many people, especially a new mom - to put themselves first. And to do a W30 while your baby is just starting to experience food is the best timing. I so wish I ate better and knew better when my kids were babies, so that I had set them up with better habits from the get go.

I'm sorry you're missing your reunion. But do come here lots when you're feeling alone. We're all here together!

Well, that's a bummer. Probably between half-wishing you had gone to the reunion, feeling isolated, and having whatever mood stuff going on just from the dietary changes, you're kind of down in the dumps. That's like three hard things put together, so it seems natural that you would feel that way.

I was worried about my mood when I had to take some oral steroids, which I'm still on for a few more days, because they tend to make me anxious and low-spirited. I bumped up my starchy carbs (sweet potatoes, beets, etc.) and I do think it helped.

The boards are pretty active and the moderators are very sweet (but tough!) so this is a good place to get a little interaction with people who have adult vocabularies.  :) Hope you have a nice dinner tonight, a good cuppa tea, and a restful sleep and feel better tomorrow.

Thanks you guys!  Feeling better.  Made a great dinner.  That's one thing that has been a delight.  I'm cooking again!  And making fantastic meals.  So fun!  I got out today to hang with some friends, and brought my own lunch!

I also took two naps today.  Didn't it say something in the Whole30 timeline about wanting to nap all the time on days 6 and 7?  Well, I did it.  Napped during both of my son's naps.  I could have kept going too!  

I'll check out the forum more and see about connecting more.  Now for that tea!

Thanks again.  Really helped getting your responses.

Molly 

Archived