Mustard?

So, I came across the wonderful discovery that there's a local burger place (Elevation Burger) that serves ORGANIC GRASS-FED beef burgers. They even offer the burgers wrapped in lettuce.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do about dressing up my burger. Obviously, my old standby of barbecue sauce and cheese is out, but I need some other ideas because I definitely need some alternatives.

Is a generic mustard (probably yellow) safe? I am also willing to bring my own food to supplement (carrot or jicama sticks instead of fries. Maybe even salsa or a Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie pack. I figure I'm getting the main course from them, and if they ask I can use the allergy/food sensitivity excuse.

Organic mustards are usually very compliant. Maybe take your own? I use Westbrae which is not very expensive, is delicious and fairly easy to find. However, I have a feeling if they take such care with their burgers, that they have an organic mustard, but you should call ahead and ask what's in it. Some wholly guac would be great on that burger if you don't want to mess with the mustard thing. Be careful about taking your own food. I don't know about New Jersey, but in Oregon, you can't because of food safety laws. I have taken my own dressing and just snuck it in.

If it's a resturant offering grass-fed beef, I wouldn't bring food in but instead ask them to accomodate. I've had pretty good luck swapping out fries for salad greens, adding avocado slices, leaving off buns (regardless if this is offered on the menu), etc. I figure I should give the resturant a chance before I assume they won't be helpful...of course, the places I choose are pretty careful with their food already...

]Can I substitute Almond Milk where it says coconut milk?]

You can use Almond milk in place of coconut milk in recipes, although the results would be much less creamy, I would guess. As a side note: I'm assuming you make your own Almond milk, right? The packaged stuff is pretty processed and the brands I've seen have additives that would not work on a whole 30.

hmmm, I wonder if macadamia nut milk would be a better sub?

Archived