Kick off your Sunday shoes
Oo-wee, Marie, shake it, shake it for me
Whoa, Milo, come on, come on let's go
Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dirty 30 8/21 Start

photo-thumb-44893.jpg?_r=1411838201 Posted by Deb. on 26 August 2014 - 03:07 PM in Join the Whole30

Tomorrow’s IOD is – FISH SAUCE! Awwww yeahhhhhhh.

This tasty condiment is to be embraced and not feared. Its something that you won’t even know is there, EXCEPT for that certain savory umami je ne sais quois that it adds to your meal. If you love Thai food – that’s fish sauce you’re lovin’ on.  Work it!

The Whole30 endorses the Red Boat brand as being the most pure – find this at Whole Foods. Here’s a great article about fish sauce that compares 13 different brands: http://ourdailybrine...uce-taste-test/

Here are some great W30 recipes to try out your fish sauce in:

Meatballs, Asian Style

http://stupideasypal...tag/fish-sauce/

Smoky Hot BBQ Sauce

http://thehealthyfoo...-hot-bbq-sauce/

Vietnamese Chicken Salad

http://theclothesmak...-chicken-salad/

One Pot Paleo Pork Fried Rice

http://paleopot.com/...ork-fried-rice/

(make sure your hot sauce is compliant)

Paleo Chicken Pad Thai

http://www.thepaleom...en-pad-tai.html

No Peanut Satay Sauce

http://everydaypaleo...o-peanut-sauce/

Nom Nom Paleo is the queen of fish sauce – here’s a whole selection from her:

I am saving some of Nom Nom’s more ethnic recipes for International Week! Yes, week after next, get ready my friends!

Roasted Green Beans

http://nomnompaleo.c...ted-green-beans

Grilled Green Chicken

http://nomnompaleo.c...d-green-chicken

Umami Gravy WOW I bet that’s good

http://nomnompaleo.c...937/umami-gravy

Grilled Pork Skewers

http://nomnompaleo.c...chy-pork-a-bobs

Slow Cooker Cheater Pork Stew (I have made this and its GREAT)

http://nomnompaleo.c...eater-pork-stew

Damn Fine Chicken

http://nomnompaleo.c...mn-fine-chicken

Chile Lime Chicken Wings

http://nomnompaleo.c...e-chicken-wings

Bacon Apple Smothered Pork Chops

http://nomnompaleo.c...ered-pork-chops

Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Citrus Dressing (Miki I’m looking at you)

http://nomnompaleo.c...citrus-dressing

Pork and Shitake Sliders

http://nomnompaleo.c...hiitake-sliders

AIP - some of the above can easily be made AIP but the below are pulled from AIP specific blogs

Lime, Cilantro and Lemongrass Fishcakes

http://thefoodieteen...ree-dairy-free/

Thai Chicken Soup

http://alt-ternative...e-aip-soul.html

Omit the honey

NEXT 7 DAYS OF IODS!

1.     Mushrooms

2.     Lemon and Lime

3.     Broccoli/Broccolini

4.     Melon – last summer fling

5.     Interesting Greens – Dandelion, Nettle, Watercress, Mache, Bok Choy, Arugula

6.     Organ Meats (yes, we’re doing it)

7.     Endive and Radicchio

COMING UP:

International week, fall veggies, and Whole30 holidays. 

ENJOY! 

photo-thumb-44893.jpg?_r=1411838201 Posted by Deb. on 24 August 2014 - 11:54 PM in Join the Whole30

Guys without further ado here is the pic that was a lifetime and three W30s in the making!

post-44893-0-40817100-1408945537_thumb.jpost-44893-0-40817100-1408945537.jpg

Miks and I had such a lovely afternoon and evening. Please note that she has been hiding her cooking skills under a bushel and put out the most spectacular and delicious Whole30 AIP spread including some bodacious brussels sprouts in bacon fat with bacon, delish grilled zucchini and carrots, carved radish flowers!!! beautiful farmers market green salad with edible flowers, yummmmm grilled steak and grilled chicken, sexy cauliflower rice, and last of the sweet summer gorgeous watermelon! IT WAS AMAZING AND I AM SO SO SO SO GRATEFUL. I never go anywhere where I can eat safely, well and in abundance so it was all the bigger blessing and SO YUMMY. Thank you so very very much my dear friend, so very much appreciated.  post-44893-0-69017300-1408945739_thumb.j  (not all shown here!)

post-44893-0-69017300-1408945739.jpg

Yes, I also wanted to take bites out of those delicious cats (Miki did I see Cho following you down the street as I left lol) and the jacuzzi was wonderful. 

Oh, we also made a collage card for Steve! Coming your way soon Laurie. 

post-44893-0-93033900-1408945871_thumb.j

Heading for bed and will write more tomorrow - CC, LOVE the flip flops cupcakes!

xoxo

Posted by dcducks1 on 23 August 2014 - 09:20 AM in Join the Whole30

Ann - remember that YOU should be the only one that has the ability to influence YOU! Wake up. smile, be thankful for the things you have, smile again, look at your best friend in the mirror, say something nice about them, smile again....and start your day ...on YOUR terms! If you are going to be shi**y you will have to sit in the luggage compartment on this flight!

Miki - I thing it is soooo cute that you think people don't notice the 126 pound crush you have on me! It's ok.......it's ok!

I have walked, I have played my favorite game "Find....MY.....CRAP" which is played every weekend as I search high and low to see where everyone has put my stuff instead of where it should be. I am a bit of an organization freak....ESTJ on the Myers Briggs........don't hate my extraverted genius please! I made breakfast, did some work in the shop, did upper body work out, walked the dogs........then woke up "Miss Beautiful" and told her she only had about an hour and a half before her lunch with her girlfriends. Made her some coffee and bacon and booted her ass to the curb. Told the boys to start vacuuming the house and mom's van needs washed. Going to try to get the yard mowed and weed whacked before the rain comes in this afternoon. Then I have my good friend ( you girls would eat him up) over for dinner. He went thru a nasty divorce with a cheating wife. And he's a fireman (actually Fire Marshall). I have included a shirtless pic of him just to appease the masses and give everyone a smile.

You are all very beautiful people (that's the way this flight was booked....only beautiful people...... inside and out). I want everyone to look up a song......."She's a Beauty" by The Tubes.........dedicated to all the lovely women on here.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-43304-0-90993500-1408807271_thumb.j

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

I am reading the pain and humiliation that many of you ladies are expressing. I am hearing your inability to show your before and after pictures and I understand. I read an article a couple days ago about a woman who was morbidly obese and decided that she was going to wear a bikini and it went viral on the internet. She said she was proud of who she was and she didn't care anymore about what people said about her weight or what she wore. Before I say anymore, let me just say that I think of all of you as friends and I am going to express my opinion and hopefully not upset anyone. I don't care if the woman wears a bikini or not. The forum thread that followed her online was, for the most part, very positive and encouraging....with many overweight women claiming they were going to be "as brave as she was and start wearing whatever they wanted!"

I have a problem with this. Our country/society continues to grow more and more unhealthy at an alarming rate. WE have personally witnessed how bad the food is that is readily available for us everyday. WE have seen how they sneak sugar, chemicals, and all sorts of garbage into our diet. In my opinion, this woman was "giving up" and asking the media to help her convince the rest of the world to "give up"! If everyone is "ok" with an unhealthy, overweight body, then why try at all? If we can get the media to demonize the healthy.....then we can eat whatever we want and still be beautiful.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be a Victoria Secret model...I'm just talking about HEALTHY! I don't want to live in a society that says "this is getting kind of hard so maybe we should quit." That's what I got from this article. I honestly believe if I could ask this girl, "if I could make you slender and healthy...right now......would you do it?" I know the answer would be YES!

But instead of fighting and working for what she wants/ needs.......it's easier to just ask the media to help her "normalize" her situation. We need the courage to look at what we are/ who we are and what we are not doing correctly to our bodies and fix it. We need to adjust our diets, exercise, eat healthy and EXPECT to have a healthy body, not a body loaded with excess weight, organs straining to do their jobs, and veins loaded with medicines designed to "keep us going" because we were too lazy to do it ourselves. Sorry for my rant......I will blame it on the pain meds.....not meant to hurt anyone on here.....love to all of you wonderful Dirty 30...ers........

Dave 

I believe in medicine.  Without surgeries and medicine, many of my folkaronies would not be here.

But.  I am not so in love with meds that I wanted to take them for the rest of my life.  T1 has it's own set of serious challenges that are different from T2.  Doctors orders trump Whole 30.

I am not so in love with meters and testing equipment that they are something I wanted to use for the rest of my life.  Many of the new T2 meds make it very difficult to get your hormones, cortisol and everything else back in balance.   They can create a dependency until your life is over.  I am not going out like that.

I had to draw a line in the sand.   I was not too lazy to do it myself.   I knew there was a way to reverse my curse of a lifetime of meds.  I found it.  

It often takes a serious health crisis before any permanent positive changes are made.  It shouldn't be that way but it takes some of us longer than 30 days to put the pieces together.

We can try to mentally budget in treats and snacks.   It's very easy to fall into a celebration with food pattern on weekends ....then moving it over to during the week.  It can get out of hand.  The only remedy for this behaviour is to recover quickly.

The brain can get very complacent and lazy.  Yes, dcducks.   It's true.   The closer  some of us are to sticking the landing, the brain will even try to make you forget why you started in the first place.  It's very similar to running on the playground.   After our skinned knees have healed, we are right back at it.

Even the pain of carrying an 80 lb backpack is easily forgotten when you take it off.  Holidays become the ultimate enablers to over-indulge.  For me, it is truly easier to eat none of something than a reasonable amount.

In the beginning of the journey, there was a special kind of disgust with myself that might've motivated me for awhile...but that all goes away.  The closer you are to your mark or optimum setpoint,  disgust no longer works.

You have to create a new positive strategy that doesn't involve disgust.   I am no longer a meter reader.  That motivates me....like waaay into the future.

It is easier to suppress the first desire than to satisfy all of the rest.

Good day to all you fellow WD30ers.....

I've just finished a meal of my first ever batch of home-made chicken liver pate (I used this recipe) and it was A-MA-ZING!! Spread over double layers of romain lettuce leaves, drizzled with home-made mayo & topped with some fancy tomatoes I found yesterday called orange rapture. I know I ate enough, but I could quite easily eat more... Instead I'm sat here with a herbal tea, contemplating what chores to tackle next.

Disaster yesterday on the school uniform shopping front. The eldest is very tall & as thin as a rake & finding trousers that fit in the waist & also long enough in the leg is proving difficult, and we've one week of the hols left. The feral child is in between shoe sizes. His old school shoes are tight on him, & the next size up will only give him a few weeks growth, the NEXT size up is too wide around the ankle even with an added insole.... And we couldn't trainers that they liked in either of their sizes either, so back to the drawing board next week!!  :wacko: 

Did most of my veg shopping in my hometown yesterday, rather than driving to the farm shop right next to where I work & ended up spending roughly a third more than I normally do. Granted I bought some different stuff, and I did find some fab varieties of tomatoes, but I didn't actually manage to get some of the stuff I wanted so I'll be soending more through the week.... It helps that I get a few bonus items thrown in for free each week, which obviously didn't happen in my hometown. Never mind - it was a one off, and it'll not kill me.

I've currently a crockpot full of mixed veg cooking away in pork fat, seasoning & some crushed plum tomatoes - peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, marrow, snap peas, onion, garlic & leeks. That should be ready just in time for tea, my curried coconut seafood chowder is just about done, and my oven roasted veg are also good to go. I've LOADS of food this week, but most of it is a departure from my usual weekly cook up so I'm really looking forward to meal times...  :wub: 

Right back to the chores - really feeling the TB lately - yesterday I'd the beds changed, a new tyre on my car, the front driveway weeded & sprayed, a washing done and hung out & some ironing done all before I picked up the boys. Today I have them sorting their bedrooms - lifting down all the lego etc & dusting shelves, clearing junk drawers etc in time for the new school year..... Me, I'm just about to start clearing out the little store room under the stairs, right after I empty the dishwasher...

I don't want to be that person. I want to be fit and healthy and have a great quality of life as I get older. I want to hike and garden and enjoy my family pain free.

Georgia.   Your WANT POWER will keep you there.    You've been in your quiet corner of the world, memorizing the instructions for your own positive food management plan.   You've been creating a strategy.

You are thinking long term success and not short term immediate gratification.

So many good decisions you've made.  Setting some boundaries....ciggies.  I'm not even going to say that word unless you bring it up.  You don't need the reminder.

jmcbn...I put out an alert for you last night.  You were in bed.   Sigh.

Thank you for being the voice of reason and positive hindend kicks.  When one door closes, another window opens.   You are a breath of fresh air.   Many, many have already walked on through the door.

They're no longer standing at the door.  They've went on.  I'm glad you're here leading the charge.   I have not stuck the landing and I need your discipline.  It's very inspiring and motivational.   You're a go-getter.   A Lady Mule Skinner from Belfast, Tennessee.   Dolly is a go-getter, too.   WOW.   Where she's come from and where she is today.  She used all of her talents for the good.   You do, too.   

They'd love you in Tennessee.  Heckatoot, you'd fit in anywhere.   So much of this stuff is mental but your approach and process is truly Whole 30.   Continue on.   Keep us on our toes.   You are appreciated every single day.

I went to the store with Bear yesterday.   We had to make it quick.  I can't read labels or lollygag around.   It's brutal not to be able to watch all of the people and look into their carts.   No jibber jabber.

We walked by a display of fruit and nutty bars.   You know.  The very same. Ooooo, heckatoot...they were Larabars.

Bear says..."quit looking at those".   "You can't have those, anyway."  "You're Whole 30."  He doesn't really know the rules but his good instincts led him into truth.   Those things are candy bars and not for me.

I smiled big.   He said for the first time...."You're Whole 30".   Hmmmm.   I don't cram it down anyone's throat at home.  I don't say anything and I don't force anyone to come along for the ride.  That's not fair.

You either choose it or you don't.   I can't make anyone do anything.   I'm going on, jmcbn.   I want to stick that landing.   

Melissa @Whole9 says

18 January, 2014 at 5:57 pm

While the process of becoming fat-adapted starts in just a few days of your Whole30 Day 1, the “conversion” can take 6-8 weeks, depending on your context. It sounds like you’re a serious sugar-burner, so I’m not surprised that you’re still finding you have to eat every few hours. Stick with it, as I suspect that as your days go on, that will get better, and you’ll be able to go longer between meals without “bonking.” It may take you more than 30 days, however–again, how you came into the program has far more influence on your results than what you do in these 30 days.

Melissa

One does not become fat adapted by working it up with the mind.  Sugar burners prefer Larabars for almost everything.  Pre/post mini meals and snacks,  while watching Idol or the Voice.   

It is my belief that fat adapted brings on Tiger Blood.

If you are dipping your toes back into the sugary snackstorms...every other day or even every weekend...staying fat adapted will probably fly right out the window and the carriage turns right back into sugar burning pumpkin mode.

Melissa-head-shot-small-225x300.jpg

“when the liver and muscle glycogen stores are full. In the case of full glycogen stores, the liver then turns the glucose into fat—specifically, a form of saturated fat called palmitic acid (!)—which could be used for energy but is more likely (because you’re a sugar-burner and not fat-adapted) to promote elevated triglycerides, leptin resistance, and insulin resistance and to be added to your fat stores.” 

― Melissa HartwigIt Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways

"Basically your brains last ditch effort to get you to return to your old sugar eating ways, think of it as a temper tantrum that can only be satisfied by a hefty dose of overcarbsumption. Once you push through those minutes/hours/days it gets easier to keep the sugar dragon sleeping. Old habits die hard and sometimes our bodies can resist making healthy changes, like becoming fat adapted instead of relying on regular doses of carb/sugar for energy. The resurgance of the cravings near the end of a W30 seems to be fairly universal."

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

"My extinction burst happened on day 22 for my first whole 30 and on this one also around day 25 even though I only had two non compliant days in the ten days in between.
You'll soon get your rhythm back, just do what you are doing and ride it out 

Posted by SpinSpin on 14 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I am a type 1 diabetic, and my blood sugars have leveled out quite nicely with doing the Whole 30, and I am just curious when are you taking your readings? Post work out? After eating a bunch of carbs? My diabetic nurse told me not to test my blood sugar for an hour after I work out due to my liver dumping glucose during the workout. Your liver could also be dumping excess glucose while you are becoming fat adapted.

Good day to all you fellow WD30ers.....

I've just finished a meal of my first ever batch of home-made chicken liver pate (I used this recipe) and it was A-MA-ZING!! Spread over double layers of romain lettuce leaves, drizzled with home-made mayo & topped with some fancy tomatoes I found yesterday called orange rapture. I know I ate enough, but I could quite easily eat more... Instead I'm sat here with a herbal tea, contemplating what chores to tackle next.

Disaster yesterday on the school uniform shopping front. The eldest is very tall & as thin as a rake & finding trousers that fit in the waist & also long enough in the leg is proving difficult, and we've one week of the hols left. The feral child is in between shoe sizes. His old school shoes are tight on him, & the next size up will only give him a few weeks growth, the NEXT size up is too wide around the ankle even with an added insole.... And we couldn't trainers that they liked in either of their sizes either, so back to the drawing board next week!!  :wacko: 

Did most of my veg shopping in my hometown yesterday, rather than driving to the farm shop right next to where I work & ended up spending roughly a third more than I normally do. Granted I bought some different stuff, and I did find some fab varieties of tomatoes, but I didn't actually manage to get some of the stuff I wanted so I'll be soending more through the week.... It helps that I get a few bonus items thrown in for free each week, which obviously didn't happen in my hometown. Never mind - it was a one off, and it'll not kill me.

I've currently a crockpot full of mixed veg cooking away in pork fat, seasoning & some crushed plum tomatoes - peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, marrow, snap peas, onion, garlic & leeks. That should be ready just in time for tea, my curried coconut seafood chowder is just about done, and my oven roasted veg are also good to go. I've LOADS of food this week, but most of it is a departure from my usual weekly cook up so I'm really looking forward to meal times...  :wub: 

Right back to the chores - really feeling the TB lately - yesterday I'd the beds changed, a new tyre on my car, the front driveway weeded & sprayed, a washing done and hung out & some ironing done all before I picked up the boys. Today I have them sorting their bedrooms - lifting down all the lego etc & dusting shelves, clearing junk drawers etc in time for the new school year..... Me, I'm just about to start clearing out the little store room under the stairs, right after I empty the dishwasher...

Very frustrating when you can't find the right size!

Melissa Hartwig says

August 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

Lauren, this is a really common transitional strategy for folks who are REALLY reliant on sugar for energy. Try not to rely on the sugary pick-me-up and do your best to ensure nutrient-dense, satiating meals that include plenty of healthy fat as fuel. We’re trying to get you out of sugar-burner mode and into fat adaptation, and while that process takes many weeks to complete, it can start in just a few days. So do your best, and know that the banana is a way healthier choice than the coffee, Diet Coke, or candy you used to rely on at 3 PM.

Anna, see my comment to Suzanne above. Two medium carrots is about 6 grams of sugar, and should be a perfectly healthy choice for diabetics who are doing a good job controlling blood sugars. However, if diabetes is poorly controlled, it doesn’t matter what you eat – the body’s insulin response is going to be disproportionately high. The answer isn’t to stop eating carrots – it’s to control blood sugars with healthy dietary strategies in the first place.

Melissa

Archived