Starting May 11th

Debzella

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ladies

You all seem to be getting along fine making a few tweeks along the way

To make it easier on myself I'm cooking in extra large quantities say 3/4 lbs of chicken with potatoes and root veg in an extra large roaster

That way I always have extra for scraping up and repurposing the leftovers with added extras

And I'm not usually short on ideas

Anchovies are a great flavor enhancer in many ways weather their added to a marinade or used in compliant sauce Brings life to some dishes

Don't give up keep going you'll be so happy

You are totally worth it Take time for yourself it's hard but you'll fit it in You give so much to others Dont neglect or forget just how much you matter

Know the family is thinking they're grateful even if they aren't expressing it

You know are already feeling and seeing results

It's changing my life for the better

Good planning never fails you

Enjoy the weekend do something fun for yourself

I must be an anomaly.  Every day is about the same as the previous; I've not had the ups or downs that everyone else describes, nor am I noticing any physical changes.  I want to be on the bandwagon but have nothing to offer.  No danger of quitting as I like the idea of whole foods, but hope I get some sort of affirmation that I'm making good changes.  Anyone else like me??

ktinto that's how I was feeling until yesterday. It was pretty steady. No dramatic "tiger blood" or hangovers or anything. I got mad yesterday but that's passed, and could have just been hunger crankiness. 

Did you mostly eat whole foods before this? I did, and I'm wondering if that's why the change isn't as dramatic. I had very little alcohol and grains before. It's the sugar that's different, but after a headache on Day 2, it's been fine. 

Wondering when I'm going to feel all this crazy energy and focus. 

ktinto that's how I was feeling until yesterday. It was pretty steady. No dramatic "tiger blood" or hangovers or anything. I got mad yesterday but that's passed, and could have just been hunger crankiness. 

Did you mostly eat whole foods before this? I did, and I'm wondering if that's why the change isn't as dramatic. I had very little alcohol and grains before. It's the sugar that's different, but after a headache on Day 2, it's been fine. 

Wondering when I'm going to feel all this crazy energy and focus. 

I ate a sh*t ton of veggies before, didn't eat meat, did eat eggs and dairy and was a total sugar-aholic.  Not tons of bread or pasta but did eat some grains, not much alcohol. I guess I'm just feeling left out.  I know this makes sense and can only do good, but was hoping for something that would confirm it for me. I never even got a headache, but I do think that was due to taking some allergy meds that probably suppressed it.    

Swithy & Ktinto - According to the "officially" W30 timeline, the "Tiger Blood" comes most often around days 16-27. Have both of your read "It Starts with Food"? If not, I'd highly recommend it. 

Also - I've read this in so many places here on the website & forums but also various IG feeds and social media, but there is no typical W30, and everyone experiences different things while on the w30. 

Did you both feel as if you had low energy, or yo-yo energy prior to starting the w30?

Days 16-27: Tiger Blood!

You’ve hit the downhill slope of your Whole30 and life is beautiful—which means different things for different people. For some (generally people who came to the program eating well, exercising regularly, and feeling pretty good to begin with), Tiger Blood means someone flipped a switch and turned on the awesome. Energy is through the roof, cravings are under control, clothes are fitting better, workouts are stronger.

For others, this Tiger Blood stage feels more like a real sense of self-efficacy. It doesn’t mean things are perfect (or even easy), but you’re proving to yourself that you can do this, things are getting better, and you’re seeing improvements (small or large) almost daily. Your energy is steadier, you’ve got a firmer handle on the cravings, and you’re experimenting with new, delicious foods.  You may notice that your ability to focus is keener, your body composition is changing, your moods are more stable, you’re stepping up your exercise, or you’re just plain happier these days.

Of course, this may not happen like magic at the halfway point. There are a huge number of factors that influence which benefits you see and when. If you’re one of those folks who has hit the halfway mark and isn’t seeing or feeling the dramatic changes others have reported*, know this: You’re not doing it wrong. If you began the Whole30 with a medical condition, a long and rooted history of unhealthy food habits, or a chronically stressful lifestyle, your “magic” may take longer to appear, and probably won’t be a “light switch” moment. Don’t stress about whether you’re feeling honest-to-goodness “Tiger Blood”—be patient, and be on the lookout for small, gradual improvements to keep you motivated. Slow and steady still wins this race.

*There really is no such thing as a “typical” Whole30. Honestly. There are just trends and common occurrences.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.pwl2o0LU.dpuf

Just a quickie - I have not read the recent posts am in the process of making a beautiful 6 egg omelette with coconut cream, assorted vegs sauteed in ghee for my husband and I as meal 1 and a thought popped into my head that I require an answer to:

My husband is very supportive and is eating the meals with me at home but doing his usual while at work sooooo my questions is if I feed my husband all this good fat but he is not doing whole30 and is still getting his energy from other (sugar-laden) sources are there any health concerns for him? will the fats not be burnt off and end up as plaques in his arteries????

My husband is very supportive and is eating the meals with me at home but doing his usual while at work sooooo my questions is if I feed my husband all this good fat but he is not doing whole30 and is still getting his energy from other (sugar-laden) sources are there any health concerns for him? will the fats not be burnt off and end up as plaques in his arteries????

These articles should allay your fears:

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/cholesterol-and-artery-plaque-buildup

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/clogged-arteries-arterial-plaque

Back again Day - can't remember 13 I think! (and there I said was more focussed LOL) Just read all the posts over the past 24 hours:

CCGraves - thanks for posting the blurb on tiger blood - I reread it last night and realised that the positive changes I've noticed and those that Debzella mentioned are the Tiger purring - I think I was expecting a huge influx of energy - but perhaps that is yet to come - my diet had not been good for some time regular alcohol, chocolate and icecream - the latter two sometimes to the point of feeling sick.

ktinto - I know exactly what you mean I was there - did have headaches but not too bad most of the time and did not really have the KAT stage so was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if it was not working for me - but the last few days .... well ... worth hanging in for.

Jeannie & CC - I agree - definitely food tastes better - even mineral water - I did not like it before but now love it even naked (whoops that could be a visual - I meant the drink not me!) not needing the lemon or lime now 

Lauriem - 2 cups of coffee - well done - I am still around 4 ... before MD as much as possible and definitely none after 4pm.

Shoafie - how marvelous a family effort - enjoy your time together

Mightybiles - I am hosting a big BBQ (read regular bi-monthly champagne brunch - old school friends get together and host rotates about 1 every 2 years we get a trun) at my home tomorrow (only 2 people know I am doing this hoping to slip under the radar to avoid the endless questions - you know what I mean) - I am feeling confident - will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way

Mcki and Jeannie - wow jeans! I have not even attempted yet - had no where to where them though so still in my trusty yoga pants - they don't give much feedback but do look better.

Mega - Yes! we are worth it - thank you for posting that

staci_ny - all my social events pre Whole30 revolved around food and drink - either consuming the drink or feeling deprived because I was designated driver - at the moment I honestly can't see the attraction .... hope that lasts!

Sunshine33 - I so relate to your post about family - constantly giving out and no time left - My 3 kids are 4 years apart in age and they all lived at home until 22-24 - that is when I really started to drink so much - sometimes to keep up with them (singstar nights LOL) sometimes to cope with the experience of living with adult children and having no personal space. we are on our own now ... and really enjoy their visits 

Swithy - keep going we are almost 50%  :)

strength to strength everyone have a great day

Went home from work starving, and sooooo tired of cooking and cleaning. Then it turned out I didn't have 1 ingredient I needed to make salmon cakes (almond flour) and I had no compliant substitute. Good lord, I did not want more eggs for dinner. So I didn't know what to do. I stood at the open refrigerator, looking for anything I could eat that I actually wanted, crying.

I wanted to make salmon cakes for dinner tonight as well, and no almond flour, and not even any almonds to grind into flour.  I was so upset.  I went out for brunch this morning and hadn't eaten since then, and I was pretty hungry, so I ended up telling the family they were on their own to cook because I was just going to eat the salmon with some mayo and onions and celery.  

I wanted ice cream today, I kept thinking about it (we had our first hot day!) and of course all the ice cream places were lined up around the block.  

Oh and samosas....at brunch one of my friends said she was going to bring samosas into work and I begged her to please wait until I was done my whole 30 so I could eat them.  It was really nice how everyone was so encouraging.  

I have hit a big low this evening - energy flagged and just can't be bothered. Brain an little foggy again and I just want to go to sleep. Had breakfast late again despite my efforts to eat earlier today - not my fault had 2 x lots of visitors between 8 and 10!! went to costco to get some things for the BBQ tomorrow - oh my goodness the crowds - unbelievable. Hubby ate all the offerings and I just sailed by without a care in the world. Finally got home at 4.15 and made meal 2 was eating it when daughter and grand daughter arrived, then other daughter, son in law and baby came plus a visitor just to see the baby so am now about to have meal 3 at 9pm. I felt really good until about two hours ago when the lethargy kicked in - is this perhaps because I had less coffee today perhaps? Hope everyone else is having a good day. 

Good morning friends!  A wet morning here in the Texas Panhandle.  After years of drought conditions, it has rained for just about everyday for the last two weeks.  No one will complain about the rain, but I'm pretty sure we are all ready for some sunshine.  I know I am.

Day 14 here for me.  Day 13 was good.  I survived another Friday night of poker beerfest.  One of the guys at my table ordered a chili cheese dog with onions on it and I wanted one so bad!  I have to admit, since I understood the difference between whole30 rules and recommendations, I've been a little snacky.  I love fruit and one piece a day, even as a stand alone snack, feels right to me.  I'll do some reading and see if I can figure out why it is discouraged.  I bought a box of the chomps beef sticks on amazon and they are delicious! 

Tonight is poker and UFC at my house and there will be beer and food.  I keep reminding myself that this is just temporary and I can do it.  Everyone have a great weekend!

I have hit a big low this evening - energy flagged and just can't be bothered. Brain an little foggy again and I just want to go to sleep. Had breakfast late again despite my efforts to eat earlier today - not my fault had 2 x lots of visitors between 8 and 10!! went to costco to get some things for the BBQ tomorrow - oh my goodness the crowds - unbelievable. Hubby ate all the offerings and I just sailed by without a care in the world. Finally got home at 4.15 and made meal 2 was eating it when daughter and grand daughter arrived, then other daughter, son in law and baby came plus a visitor just to see the baby so am now about to have meal 3 at 9pm. I felt really good until about two hours ago when the lethargy kicked in - is this perhaps because I had less coffee today perhaps? Hope everyone else is having a good day. 

Bricky - your day sounds exhausting! I would have been on the floor at the end of such a busy day. You are doing so great with sticking with the program.  :)

Amanda - You go, girl! You are taking these parties in stride!

Lauriem - Why does it seem that there are ice cream places on every corner? I never noticed before how many there are. I'm starting to resent the happy people standing in line.  :)

Good Saturday morning! It is day 13? I'm starting to lose track of the days, and too lazy to do the math. 

Another day of leftover eggplant curry and poached eggs. I've never been so glad to see the end of a leftover before. And eggs are beginning to make me cry, too.

Lunch - Leftover pork roast (Thanks, Jeanie. It was stellar!) and a salad of avocado, tomato and bell peppers.

Dinner - Chicken breast or pork roast. I'm not sure yet. And whatever vegetables my son brings home from the farmer's market this morning.

My present to myself last night was the kindle version of the Whole30 book. Just in time. I'm running out of ideas and enthusiasm for meals.

Also, I am experiencing "For the Love of Gosling, My Pants Are Tighter!" I woke up this morning feeling positively thin, and really, really wanted to weigh myself, but didn't. Then I got dressed. And reality hit. I could hardly button my jeans. Yes, they were tight before, but if possible, they are even tighter this morning. Thank God for the timeline article. I will endure and persevere. I have faith.

Good morning!  Day 13 for me.  A hot and sunny day is about to unfold for me.  I would love to be outside, planting flowers and veggie plants, but my back is killing me.  As a result, I want comfort food and can't stop thinking about ice cream.  Its my go-to, even though it makes me sick.  Stupid.

Breakfast will be eggs and green beans.  Thinking of making a hollandaise sauce.  At breakfast yesterday 2 of the ladies had eggs benedict and the hollandaise looked so good.  

Amanda - wtg avoiding the food and beer!  I admit, my mouth started to water thinking about a chili cheese dog, and that's not even the kind of thing I would normally eat.  

Hello fellow warriors!

Glad the pork recipe worked! try it with chicken or beef next! And for a change add a small can of tomato paste.

I can relate to feeling a bit larger today too! And, so happy for the reassuring timeline! Plowing onward!

A friend of mine has been to every dr imaginable for stomach pains, lethargy, and multiple digestive issues. They can't figure what the cause is for her continuing issues, even after a surgeon removed a portion of her intestine that they said had a benign tumor. She is a mess. So depressed. So I asked what was next and she said more tests!! And I said you know, I'm no dr., but why don't you look into W30? Read the testimonials from others with various illnesses...and let me know what you think. Well today she tells me she bought the book and stayed up most of the night reading it. And I'm very happy to say her start day is this Wednesday!!! I hope she finds what's "eating" her!

So last night hubby was hungry so we went to Panera. I'd already eaten dinner so I wasn't eating there. He ordered a turkey panini and chips. This is so weird but I was totally grossed out! It looked so greasy and unhealthy to me. Oh Lordy am I turning into one of THEM! LOL!! Hells ya! And proud of it too!!

Ok peeps, hang in there this holiday weekend (for some), it's days like this, with temptations all around, that we find out how strong we really can be!!

ROARRRR!!!

Debzilla - So glad you are toughing it out, even with tight pants.

Laurie - Hope your back feels better soon.

I almost forgot to tell you about my treat yesterday.  The girls wanted to get a snow cone after school.  I LOVE snow cones.  I opted for a lime squeeze - shaved ice with fresh squeezed lime juice.  Sprinkle a bit of salt on and totally compliant!

Hello fellow warriors!

Glad the pork recipe worked! try it with chicken or beef next! And for a change add a small can of tomato paste.

I can relate to feeling a bit larger today too! And, so happy for the reassuring timeline! Plowing onward!

A friend of mine has been to every dr imaginable for stomach pains, lethargy, and multiple digestive issues. They can't figure what the cause is for her continuing issues, even after a surgeon removed a portion of her intestine that they said had a benign tumor. She is a mess. So depressed. So I asked what was next and she said more tests!! And I said you know, I'm no dr., but why don't you look into W30? Read the testimonials from others with various illnesses...and let me know what you think. Well today she tells me she bought the book and stayed up most of the night reading it. And I'm very happy to say her start day is this Wednesday!!! I hope she finds what's "eating" her!

It will be very interesting to hear if the Whole30 helps your friend, Jeanie. I would bet that it does.  :)

I'm having a little deja vu… I want to Kill All The Things today. But it's more like Kill My Job!, so I don't think it counts. And I'm a little nauseous too. It might not be related to Whole30… could be a stomach bug. Other than that, just keeping on track. I made the Thai Coconut  Soup from the book tonight. It was amazing and satisfying. I was so ready for something besides a slab of meat. I'm enjoying the Whole30 book, and the recipes look great. Can't wait to make more things! Have a good night, all! :)

Oops…. forgot to mention that I used the leftover pork in the soup, instead of chicken, and it was really good. And nice choice on the snow cone, Amanda. It sounds delicious.

Okay, now I'm done. G'night!  :)

Just a quickie from me as I prepare for the big BBQ - huge kitchen sink scramble this am - had a headache on waking :( had a coffee with meal 1 not sure if it was caffeine related. polishing glasses and silverware, W30 "sangria" made, separate marinated meat, lots of salads. Have pastries, cheese, wine etc for guests. I am feeling strong - will check in after the event and let you know how I went. Mightybiles sending you positive vibes - we CAN do this - thinking of you today at yours  :rolleyes: 

Hi Everyone! Checking in from my vacation to Phoenix...so far so good but I've been tempted so many times to quit already...at the airport this morning, everyone around me had McDonald's but I proceeded to eat my two hard boiled eggs, carrots, and cashews. On the plane I had two cups of black coffee after the flight attendant looked at me funny for not wanting cream or sugar...finally made it to AZ and Mt friend picked me up and wanted to get a latte. Sooo we headed the Starbucks and I just had another black coffee with unsweetened coconut milk...saved most of it for tomorrow. We had to head to a baby shower in the afternoon full of BBQ foods, cakes and cookies...so I made scrambled eggs and spinach for lunch before we went with half an avocado...dinner we're grilling chicken and broccoli. I want to drink so bad but I told myself I could do this...I made the commitment. I'll be so disappointed if I dont.

Hey team.  I have to say that I am also getting a sort of sixth sense about food. Things that I loved before (not naming names- PIZZA) are looking really unappetizing to me, whereas I found myself walking by the tuna in the store and practically drooling.  I figure that listening to our bodies is what this whole process is about.  (Note: I've been a vegetarian for 11 years and consumed an ungodly amount of whey protein powder in that time.)  So.... I got a can of tuna, mixed it with avocado, cucumber, and green onions to make a sort of tuna salad and then I scooped it up with pieces of sushi nori.  It was so good.  I think I am squarely out of vegetarian territory.

Ugh, still no tiger blood here yet! Tired last night and hubby was working so hoping to go to bed early! Testerday was a hard day! Nice long holiday weekend So decided to run to the store for a few things and snacks, OMG treats I love everywhere! Had to buy some Lara bars to make it out of Target! I do so much better at home slightly removed from these things, I know it will get better though! Then I go home all ready to make dinner and my brother was over working on some stuff at our house and he had ordered pizza! I was like no way! Anyways I kept the boxes closed and did my stuff but won't deny saying no was hard!

Does anyone have a good marinade for chicken? I am not a fan or rubs on grilled chicken and I can't have my usual ones because they have added sugar!

I keep trucking and determined to break my habits but this weekend day 13 felt like day 10/11! Knowing I have a work trip approaching and then hubby is pressuring me to work out more to lose the baby weight and I am so strapped for time right now! Trying to do a few walks a week but with the two kids and he working evenings and a new baby going to the gym is so hard right now! I promise I am not a lazy person I just don't get a lot of help with kids and food prep at home so i feel like I am at capacity as is;). I did pretty well not going to food but won't lie I had to snack more today, Lara bars and those Chomp sticks helped! So appreciated the post around still feeling good when you stay compliant! I could have easily just gave up and had pizza but instead I ate chicken, my sweet potato hash and a few berries! I ended up needing some compliant trail mix but I can't beat myself up!

I am glad for this forum because I actually think the accountability helped me and knowing you guys are fighting way harder than me. Yesterday just came at me from all sides;). My hubby was questioning how many eggs I ate, he gets all caught up in how many yolks and all the fat. He is not normal is what I tell myself! Insane will power from doing body building for years and can seriously live on chicken, brown rice and egg whites! He eats some yolks but not a lot and still wants me focused on calories.

Any way sorry to vent, I am lucky that I have a husband hat does eat healthy just hard when he wants me to do it his way, doesn't see the big picture of me trying to break these bad habits!

Today is a new day! Feeling ok just need to get moving!

Debzilla - Work has been a pain for me lately as well.  Too bad we can't all go away to some beach resort to do our W30!

bricky - Can't wait to hear your bbq report.  Hope it went well.

mcki - Lots of temptation for you!!  Nice job on staying the course.

DuckMama - That tuna salad sounds delicious!

Happycarter - Sounds like somebody needs to mind his own business.  I hope you don't choke him in a fit of KATT :)

Day 15 here for me.  Yesterday I made recipe that someone posted in a slow cooker thread - big package of boneless skinless chicken thighs, two cans of artichoke hearts, two jars of sun dried tomatoes (both mostly drained).  Oh my!  I absolutely LOVE artichokes!  DH and the kids gobbled it up as well.  I survived yesterday's party at my house.  Everyone ended up ordering pizza.  When someone sat down at my table with a couple of slices, the aroma smacked me upside the head and I wanted a piece so bad!!  Less than five minutes later, I had forgotten about the pizza and didn't think of it again the rest of the night!  I had an apple and some coconut water over ice and was content. 

Having the family over for lunch today.  Think I'm going to do a brunch and make a big veggie frittata and a paleo breakfast casserole recipe that I found.  These are my in-laws who are mostly all very obese.  Talking with them about eating healthy and changing their lives is exhausting.  Mother-in-law says she already eats perfectly and sister-in-law can't hear anything I have to say because I'm "skinny".  I probably won't bring up the whole30.

Everyone have a great day!

Hi there

Recipe mix for chicken:

I mix 1tbsp kosher salt, tsp each garlic powder (read the ingredients no sugar) and paprika

Black pepper add thyme too or Rosemary

You can also pinch cayenne or dab Franks hot sauce olive or compliant oil or even bacon grease first and slather away

What is a Lara bar? Have no idea

My hubs only eats egg whites too yes he's also former natural bodybuilder so I cook pretty clean for years now W30 is making a difference too

Please try to have Protien and fat along with your veggies and a starchy veggie might help Sweet potato hash is delish

If u up your fat a bit you may lose weight and seratonin levels may increase

It's hard when they are used to eating what they know but I've found W30 compliant has a much better effect on my weight loss than anything I've done I'm on Day 20

I live the forum also they have helped me immensely

Good luck!

Hi all! Day 14! Stomach issues are resolved, I hope, and I had a breakfast of fresh spinach and tomatoes sautéed in olive oil and then I fried 3 eggs in that. Delicious, and I'm really starting to look forward to my 3 eggs.

HappyCarter - I hear you about trying to explain the program to family. My daughter is a bodybuilder, and she came over for a breakfast of corn tortillas and papusa, that my son was making from scratch this morning. She doesn't agree with the 3 meals a day eating plan, and all three of us had a lively debate about 3 large meals versus 6 small meals a day, as I was saying "no thank you" to that delicious breakfast they were making. She does approve of my protein intake, however. lol. And… I remember when my three kids were small, I never would have had the energy or the enthusiasm for sticking to Whole30, like you are. You are doing awesomely, in the face of some pretty strong challenges. And taking care of three small ones doesn't leave much time for exercise. It's exhausting. I'm just now working off the baby weight, and my baby is 25 years old.  :)

Duckmama - Your tuna sounds delish. And I love your willingness to trying new things.

Mcki, Bricky and Amanda - You are so inspirational! You are facing some pretty wicked temptations and kicking it Whole30 style! I'm reading all your good ideas and strategies, and making notes, for when challenges come up for me.

Lunch today will be pork in some way, and a leftover sweet potato

Dinner - Chicken breast (totally with MeGa_gardener's chicken rub), sautéed spinach, roasted carrots.

Happy Sunday!

Archived