Starting May 11th

Debzella

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped keeping a log last Friday, but meals I remember have been along the lines of 2 poached eggs over brussels sprouts and 1/2 avocado, veggie/bison meatloaf, chicken & veggie "alfredo", kale salad w/ chicken sausage & cabbage soup, chicken tikka masala w/ broccoli, kale salad w/ tuna salad (Whole30 mayo), steak, potato w/ ghee, lettuce, tomato & bacon salad, scrambled eggs w/ veggies & a few bites of coconut butter...like I said before, I did eat tons of veggies previously and no meat.  I did have a McCoke every day and cookies whenever I could, but I don't think overall I was too unheathy.  Thank you all for the uplifting words- I'm trying to hang in!

It's hard to tell what is a day's worth of meals for you here, as well as portion sizes, but based on what I've seen so far, here are some initial thoughts:

- when eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

- other than the potato, I don't see carb-dense vegetables on a regular basis. Consider adding at least one fist-sized serving daily.

- vegetables like cabbage and broccoli, and raw vegetables can cause digestive distress for some. You might try removing the cabbage and broccoli and switching to all cooked vegetables see if that helps you?

- are you drinking at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

Question, when making Zoodles...how do you get it from not being a watery mess? Every time I try to make zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash, it comes out as mush...not too appetizing. Would love some pointers!!

Any tips appreciated :) Would love to try it again!

I boil my zucchini noodles in salted water for like 3 minutes. Then I drain and pat dry. Annoying extra step, but it's fast and it works. 

I've found that putting them raw into a warm sauce turns the sauce super watery. 

One of my bosses was out on vacation for the last two weeks and just now, upon seeing me for the first time since she's been back, asked me if I've lost weight. So, yay! I also squeeeeezed myself into an old pair of "skinny pants" I'd kept in the basement for years, just one size smaller than I've been wearing. I mean, squeezed to the point where my tummy is now bulging out over the top. But--I got them buttoned! So today, I feel good.

However, lately I've been feeling similar to a lot of folks on this forum who are posting that they are stressing out about weight right now. I too keep thinking that I'm putting weight on--mostly because I don't feel like I look any different. And those darn dreams, I have almost every night, about pigging out on all sorts of foods. The guilt is tremendous. 

Also - the last two days, I did not eat 3 meals. I've found that I've just not been hungry at all and then forget to eat. And I'm starting to get grossed out by all my leftovers, even though they are perfectly fine. Loss of appetite was on the timeline, right? What do we do to get out of it? 

Also - the last two days, I did not eat 3 meals. I've found that I've just not been hungry at all and then forget to eat. And I'm starting to get grossed out by all my leftovers, even though they are perfectly fine. Loss of appetite was on the timeline, right? What do we do to get out of it? 

Get a new veggie in your rotation. Try some new recipes. Shake up the routine a bit.  This, too, shall pass.  :)

Try to at least work your way around a plate of protein, veg and fat at meal times.  Take a bite of each if you need to, and keep going for as long as you can.  Save the rest for a mini-meal later.

Today at work: doughnuts in the morning, ice cream cake in the afternoon! 

I'm fine. I actually got enough enjoyment from watching others indulge, and admiring those beautiful treats. They sure are nice to look at. But I don't have to eat them! 

I am the same I enjoy looking at the foods (some are so pretty especially those decorated chocolate wrappers) but there is no desire to eat them - I don't have to try because I am not interested this came as a total shock to me. I must say I am glad I don't have to occupy an office where temptations are a daily occurrence I congratulate you and others who are facing this challenge.

DAY 14 in the books

M1 skillet sauteed veggies w avocado and fried eggs

S1 grapes + mixed nuts

M2 pork burger w spicy mayo + beets + olives

S2 grapes

M3 pork burger w spicy mayo + curried cauliflower rice in coconut milk

allergies so intense I had to lie down for a spell today. hard to focus and feel energized. found myself grabbing for snacks instead of cooking meals. but made a delicious healthful dinner and look forward to going to bed early, getting up early, and popping  some claritin in the AM. g'night everyone!

I dont have allergies .... hope you feel better today

Wow, this weekend was really difficult.  On top of not being able to have any cocktails, we lost our lovely 16 year old kitty.  She passed away on Sunday.  We both SO wanted comfort food and WINE.  But - we soldiered on saying "we can't eat our feelings".  I'm in the angry stage and have been for a couple of days.  I'm staying compliant but I hope it passes quickly.  I'm almost happy being back to work today to get back into routine.  

Feeling for you, we lost our 20 year old puss late last year - he had been with us since my eldest was 11 now he is 32

Day 17....there is literally less than 2 weeks left before we make it to WHOLE30. Crazy. However, I did wake up this morning feeling kind of gloomy. The other week, I thought I was seeing progress and moving forward but now, I feel very similar to when I started. I'm not having as bad of abdominal discomfort and I'm less bloated...but, my friend just finished her Whole30 and was down 12 pounds! I don't feel like I've budged at all...I mean, I'm eating better and feeling better in my own skin and I have underlying health issues that are being addressed on top of it all...so maybe I'll be one of the "slow" ones...I know it's not about the weight loss...but, when you're trying to get pregnant and the doctor tells you that you need to lose 20 pounds, that's all I can think about! I guess I'll just keep swimming and see what happens in the end. Maybe I should start exercising more?

I identify a little - as I said last night I am tired again ... and have been sooooo goood on the food front but not in the rest and recuperate area. I have had several late nights - that is my time for knitting, cross stitch and catching up on the forum ... too many nights in a row it has been between 11.45 and 12.30 as I go to bed ... you know where does that time go on the computer - it only seems to take a few minutes to read and reply but during the process a whole hour slips by!!  I do sleep till 8 or 8.30 most nights though. I remember a doctor once said to me 1 hour before midnight is worth 2 after so I guess I need to move the bedtime earlier.

Sorry about your kitty, Staci. Pets are our families. 

Day 17 for me. I'm also feeling like I may not have lost very much weight. My pants are still basically the same, fit-wise. Although if I count the fact that they're not so tight that my eyeballs are going to pop out, then I guess I am making progress. lol. I feel lighter, but I don't see it yet. I actually don't want to step on the scale, because I would lose all hope, if the numbers hadn't changed. And it's not about the numbers, so much as feeling better, and healthier. That being said, I'm having a really low energy day. So, I'm just going to plod along today, and trust the process. 

Yesterday, I had my first intense craving for something sweet after dinner. Hot fudge sundae, cookies, anything. I don't normally even eat those things, but I wanted them real bad . :)  I drove to the health-food store and bought complaint cashew butter, drove home and spread it on an apple. It did it for me, and it was delicious, but I felt like it might have been a little like SWYPO. 

After dinner, I went to my sister's house, anticipating that she would serve me goodies. She loves a good goopy dessert and is a splendid hostess, always with something sinful and delicious. I was ready. But, surprise of surprises, she didn't have any snacks this time. She had been to the doctor this week, and her blood sugar was elevated. A lot. She is being tested for diabetes, and was put on meds for high blood pressure. A wake up call for sure. She is younger than me and has always had a fondness for sweets and baked goods.

I told her about the Whole30, but she wasn't really receptive right now. I respect that. It's a process. Her kids have been eating paleo for years, so she knows some of the recipes, and philosophies. She'll get there. Family dynamics are always interesting… she's the "practical, sensible" sister and I'm the "serendipitous free spirit" sister. So, automatically, if I'm doing it, it's too "out there" and "hippy dippy" for her. But this time, I'm on to something sane and healthy, and I believe Whole30 is so necessary to kill those sugar dragons, at the very least. She'll come around. On the plus side, her kids have heard of Whole30, and they were duly impressed that I was on day 16.  :)

Breakfast this morning - 3 poached eggs on top of leftover roasted sweet potatoes and grilled eggplant.

Lunch - kale and chard salad with baked chicken and an apple with cashew butter

Dinner - leftover chicken cacciatore that I made yesterday, roasted carrots

I need to cook a new kind of meat. I've had a lot of chicken in the past few days. lol.

OK so it seems that I am not alone ... my tiredness, and several other members posting less than negative feelings on day 16/17/18 ... that makes me feel better as it must be part of the process and after all I have over indulged for quite some time prior to W30.

Debz I know how you feel my youngest daughter was called back to GP and has to have a fasting glucose - I would love for her to do this but she is not there yet - perhaps if they suggest medications she will consider W30 first - i hope so

Hello everyone, day 18 dawns (I think I have lost count now) and I feel OK not jumping out of my skin but not slowly sinking into the ground either. I have another family event this weekend my youngest grandchild turning 1 and we are having a sausage sizzle in the park - I will take my own food not sure yet what that will be maybe a couple of boiled eggs a lovely salad and one of those delicious home made compliant mayonnaise's. Have a great day, stay strong we can do this. 

Good evening everyone,

Love the zoodle cooking tips! I know you're all well into your 30 days and I love reading about what I can expect in the coming weeks. I'm happy to report that I've made it through day 3 and everyone around me is still alive (teehee). Jeanie has been a huge help listening to me and helping me out (gotta love a texting buddy).

Tomorrow looks like....

Meal 1: hard boiled eggs with a mix of veggies and balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2: chicken protein salad over a bed of greens with an apple

Meal 3: ground beef with the compliant rao's maranara sauce served over a bed of zoodles (looking forward to playing with my new spiral peeler...see it's the little things in life that make me happy)

Thanks again for your great insight and support '

CCG - Yessssss! definitely making that pesto and LADYSHANNY, that buffalo chicken pasta too! I bought sweet potatoes today so I could make your pork burgers, super excited for that tomorrow ;)

QUESTION FOR GROUP: does anyone use the spiralizer for veggies other than zucchini? I don't love zucchini, and I know there's a whole list, I'm curious what you all like.

DAY 15

M1 onion, tomato, mushroom stewed in coconut milk and red curry + two fried eggs + homemade pork patty

M2 broiled salmon w ghee, lemon, & dill + curry cauliflower rice

M3 Large fruit salad of a grapefruit, apple, kiwi, grapes, cherries w/ coconut and walnuts

M3 - haven't done something like that on W30, but was having cravings for delicious fruits, as I usually eat some sort of fruit every day, and I haven't at all really in the last two weeks, and it's Summer! I just really, really wanted to eat a bunch of fruit today (body craving seasonal foods?) so I decided to make it a full meal. It's probably not the healthiest, or W30 recommended, but it totally hit the spot. 

Are you nearing your period by any chance? How's your starchy veggie intake? Super intense sugary cravings are common around the week before and of a period and can be managed by making sure that you are having at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie per day.

Not for many a year.  :)

But I haven't been eating enough starchy veggies, I don't think. I'll try having one fist-sized serving of a starchy veg a day.

Today, I was just really tired. I stuck with my meal plans and didn't even crave anything sweet. I did have sweet potatoes twice today. 

I have a theory, that my body is adjusting and adapting to my change in eating habits, and all that adjusting means that a lot of internal work is being done. Whether it's healing, or detoxing, or weight loss, or bloat loss, things are happening. And that can make a body tired. And I feel like mine is telling me that rest is just as important as eating well, or exercising. So, I'm listening to my tired body and putting it to bed early tonight. 

Sophia - I hope your allergies are better.

Jeannie - I'll take that pina colada and raise you a Beaujolais. 

And everyone who is on this magical journey, I'm happy to be with you.  :)

Good evening friends.  Day 18 coming to a close for me.  I didn't sleep well last night, so I am exhausted.  I'm having an emotional week over some personnel changes at my girls' school.  We have a counselor that has been such a big part of our lives and she has been given an amazing promotion that she totally deserves.  It is so hard to see her go, but I am so grateful for all she has done for my girls.  It has also been super busy/stressful at the office.  I'm drained.  I want my tiger blood!

B-egg frittata, 1/2 avocado, cantaloupe

L-leftovers bbq ribs, which was gross, struggled to eat some, leftover red potato, cauliflower, blueberries

D-BAS from Whole Foods, tessamae dressing

I can relate to not being hungry, but I do eat three meals and when I do, it tastes so good (ribs excluded!). So then I think, hmm I am hungry!

So, a Whole Foods opened in my town today and I'm beyond excited! They even have a machine that makes fresh nut butters! What!! I'm looking forward to getting to know all this store has as its on the way home, and in a shopping center I frequent often. There goes my paycheck$$

Sweet dreams! Lol!

Doing better today! I didn't look at the weight that my doctor put down. The nurse said "You are doing great, because it is great!" when I told her that I'm doing the Whole 30 and didn't want to know my weight. So that is helping my momentum.

Day 15 for me! Half way there! 

I am thinking of doing another Whole 30 after this one and cutting fruit. I'm finding myself relying on fruit way too much during this challenge. Using fruit as my comfort food. Yet again, using food for comfort. I also feel it is my 'food without breaks', so this is unhealthy for me. I'm shocked and amazed at my willpower to cut cold turkey on dairy, grain, beans etc... so I feel cutting fruit shouldn't be too bad for 30 days... 

Hope everyone is doing well! 

OK so it seems that I am not alone ... my tiredness, and several other members posting less than negative feelings on day 16/17/18 ... that makes me feel better as it must be part of the process and after all I have over indulged for quite some time prior to W30.

Debz I know how you feel my youngest daughter was called back to GP and has to have a fasting glucose - I would love for her to do this but she is not there yet - perhaps if they suggest medications she will consider W30 first - i hope so

Bricky - You are leading by example and are a great role model for her. She will get there.  :)

Sophia - I had a spiralizer before I started the Whole30. I used to do a modified raw diet, and I spiraled everything! My favorite veg to spiralize was golden beets. Yummy, and they could stand up to quite a lot of cooking and still maintain their texture. And sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, spiraled made great oven fries. I speak in the past tense, unfortunately, because in my craze to spiralize, I tried a rutabaga one day. It was so hard and dense, that it broke the handle right off the spiralizer.  :( So, I guess there are some veggies that just can't be spiraled.

Day 18 and it's a better day. I'm feeling less tired and fully intend to get out into the garden and finally get my tomatoes and herbs in the ground, also I'm going to grow my own chard, lettuce and lemon grass this year! 

Breakfast - 3 eggs of some kind on sautéed chard and kale

Lunch - leftover chicken (again! New meat! I need a new meat!) and whatever veggies I have in the fridge.

Dinner - I am going shopping! I'm out of everything! But there will be potatoes of some kind and a protein that is not chicken. 

Have a happy day, Nickiechan, Amanda, Jmn1962, Jeffrey, CC, Swithy, Init2winit, Arin, Ktinto, Mcki, Ladyshanny, GFChris, Jeanie, Sophia, Bricky, Shoafie, Staci_NY, Sidcianicliff, Lauriem, and I know there are more… all the Whole30 peeps!  :)

Morning all!

I sort of hate feeling guilty about eating fruit.  I read It Starts with Food and after completing it I felt an overall sense that fruit was ok to eat.  But in reading boards and other peoples stories and opinions it seems its not and that most consume it with a bit of guilt.  Ugh.  One of the reasons I started this plan was because I'd come off a couple of other plans (low carb, even Medifast even though I don't really need to lose enough weight to justify that one - a friend of mine is a coach and convinced me to try it) where fruit is vilified and I thought - hey on this plan I can eat wholesome, nutritious fruit!  Yay!  But alas, it seems that's not so much the case.  

Anyway - I'm feeling much better today than yesterday!  Less grumpy, more alert.  Hello day 18!

I think you're right CC - I've just always been a fruit lover - mostly I like to eat whats in season.  Like cherries right now, apples in the fall, etc.  I love the sweetness, don't get me wrong - but like St. Sophia wrote yesterday - I could eat just a bowl of fruit for dinner!  Now, I know that's not exactly appropriate on this plan - but after this 30 - I could see myself doing that (and have done that)!

Morning all!

I sort of hate feeling guilty about eating fruit.  I read It Starts with Food and after completing it I felt an overall sense that fruit was ok to eat.  But in reading boards and other peoples stories and opinions it seems its not and that most consume it with a bit of guilt.  Ugh.  One of the reasons I started this plan was because I'd come off a couple of other plans (low carb, even Medifast even though I don't really need to lose enough weight to justify that one - a friend of mine is a coach and convinced me to try it) where fruit is vilified and I thought - hey on this plan I can eat wholesome, nutritious fruit!  Yay!  But alas, it seems that's not so much the case.  

Anyway - I'm feeling much better today than yesterday!  Less grumpy, more alert.  Hello day 18!

You're right, fruit is ok to eat on a Whole30.  :) 

The recommendation when first starting is 1-2 servings a day, when a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist, and to have it with or immediately after your meals, not as a snack.  Also, to not let fruit push veggies off your plate, as veggies tend to provide more nutritional benefits.

If you're entering a season where more fresh fruits are plentiful, by all means, enjoy more fruit! No guilt!

If, however, you find yourself reaching for fruit after every single meal as a dessert replacement, that would be something to stop and evaluate as a possible habit to change.

Sophia, I've spiralized tons of stuff. Zucchini is by far the best for ease of spiraling and also texture. White potato is very good, too. I've used sweet potato by spiraling and then pulsing those noodles in the food processor to make rice. That's worked great.

Rutabaga spiraled well but the recipe I used was meh. Carrots and parsnips are hit or miss--they have to be at least 2 inches wide and pretty firm or you'll just have a mess.

Broccoli stems were a good way to use something that would be thrown out, but they have a gritty texture I'm not loving. (Maybe peel first.)

Eggplant was a total fail!

Tons of tips and recipes at www.inspiralized.com and the blog author just put out a great cookbook called "Inspiralized," which marks which recipes are Paleo.

I ate something bad last night. I went out after work and forgot my eggs in the fridge, so all I had was cashews and coconut. I was starving and at an event that wouldn't end for hours. I looked at the menu and my only option, seriously, was french fries. Everything else was breaded or in bread or smothered in cheese. So i got them. I left the mayo and ketchup behind and ate some plain fries. (when I got home much later, I ate a small square meal.)

But this morning I woke up with a tummy ache and then had diarrhea, which, I just realized, has not happened since like Day 3.

I've always been sensitive to fried foods so it could just be that, but now I'm wondering what kind of oil they used. I didn't ask, I know I should have. but I didn't really want to know.

I'm going to call them later today. Not necessarily going to start over, but I think it would be good for me to know if i have a sensitivity to a specific oil.

I've learned my lesson. Don't forget the eggs in the fridge. And ask everything, even about the oil.

Archived