Starting May 11th

Debzella

Good morning, friends!  Day 22 here!

Sitting at the computer, eating breakfast (bad habit, I know).  I have my meals planned for the week and grocery list made.  Will go to the grocery store in a bit.  Have what I need to make this pineapple slow cooker pulled pork recipe and will get it in after I eat.  I had to order the coconut aminos from amazon, so I've been waiting patiently to make it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://www.notsodesperatehousewife.com/crockpot/crockpot-pineapple-pulled-pork/

Also planning on batch cooking some roasted veggies and making a large tomato/cucumber salad for the week.  

I started reading a top-rated decluttering/organizing book last night.  Could this be attributed to the Whole30? Itching to do something in this house.  It looks clean and tidy on the surface until you open a cabinet or closet and see the mess hiding within. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering/dp/1607747308

Everyone have a great day!

I LOVE KONMARI!  Seriously, life-changing.  In fact, I would not be here (doing whole30) if it weren't for that method.  I had to get my house in order and that gave me the freedom to take care of me.  I'm in a couple of great facebook pages for Konmari!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE KONMARI!  Seriously, life-changing.  In fact, I would not be here (doing whole30) if it weren't for that method.  I had to get my house in order and that gave me the freedom to take care of me.  I'm in a couple of great facebook pages for Konmari!

I love Kon-Mari too! I started the process this winter and an almost done with books. Next is papers... hoo-boy

Good morning all!  Go Blackhawks! 

Day 21 - starting my day with a bulletproof coffee made with coconut oil and coconut milk.  Its a sunny morning and seemed like a good time to sit outside and enjoy a latte.  Except its FREEZING out there.  So back in the house ;)

I realized last night that I could pull my jeans on and off without unbuttoning or unzipping them.  Sad thing is....I love those jeans.  I just got them last month.  Should have bought 2 pair, one in the next size down.  Problem is, when I do that...I end up gaining weight.  

Did so much yard work yesterday but still not done.  And my dogs are eating the new soil, and waking up in the middle of the night to vomit.  So didn't have a great sleep.  

I went hunting for compliant bacon yesterday because I really want some bacon, and can't find anything.  Everything has cane sugar.  I found a few brands that were nitrate free except for the naturally occurring nitrates (or is it nitrites?  I get them confused).  I guess I can live another 10 days without bacon.  I do have my homemade sausage, after all.  Sick of eggs again.  I'm up and down with them, so weird.

Have to make my meal plan for the week today.  I think I will finally try the egg roll in a bowl I keep hearing about.

I love Kon-Mari too! I started the process this winter and an almost done with books. Next is papers... hoo-boy

I started in February and was done end of April.  I actually still have a few things that need doing because I started in the middle of a small sort of renovation - adding cabinets to my laundry room (still not done because the cabinets FINALLY arrived in at Ikea last week), cabinets in the office (same thing with Ikea), and we re-did 2 closets on the main floor.  Once those cabinets are installed and I can put things away I will officially be finished!  Although its a constant process....the culling, fighting the urge to keep crap ;)  I've been amazing at not buying more crap though.  That's the first step with me....not letting it in the house.

Wow, what is this amazing Kon-Mari? I will have to check it out. I just got a book of Rumi poems from the library yesterday. So beautiful. 

Yesterday was my Day 18. Things have been rough, as I don't have the energy to do the things I enjoy. I could barely make it through my dance class and I had to come home midday to lie down for a few hours. In addition, my brain is foggy and it's hard for me to focus, get work done, be social, etc. And my motivation is down bc my energy isn't there. I'm normally a very high energy/ large resource of energy to draw on kind of person, so this is ... i dunno what to make of it. That said, I finally got my period this morning (about 2 weeks late) so I'm going to let it go, and chalk up the low energy to that. I have to admit I started thinking maybe the Whole30 just wasn't for me, and wondering if there are some people that Whole30 is simply not a good match for. 

DAY 18

M1 sweet potato hash w ghee + fried eggs + cherries + kiwi

M2 grilled chicken thighs w avocado tomato and mayo + artichoke hearts + pickles + apple 

S1 sugar snap peas + mayo

M3 egg salad + asparagus + more pickles!

S2 cauliflower, snap peas, asparagus w spicy mayo dressing 

I'm looking forward to taking it easy today, going on a nice bike ride and prepping for the week. Have a good Sunday everyone!

I can't believe we're 3 weeks in! Crazy -- I was bound to keep my mouth shut, but those darn Blackhawks :) I'm a MN fan all the way...so I was rooting for the Ducks...but, now I suppose I can Congratulate the hawks for a job well done. Go Tampa! (please don't hate me!)

Today I'm completely focused on getting this house clean, gardening and prepping food for the week! I feel like I have lots of energy but sometimes I still just want to relax and take in all around me not having to be on the go go go! That's ok too? right? 

Here are the irises in the garden!

post-68756-0-26439600-1433089559_thumb.j

Has anyone been thinking about their plan once they hit day 30 and 31? That's come across my mind now that we're getting closer to the "End" and I think I better go recap my books for that phase...I honestly didn't think I'd make it to that part...

Here's a good tune to listen to, if you're interested..."FIGHT SONG" by Rachel Platten (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxon65u3tA) I think this is a good reminder...we're taking back our lives and proving we can do this!!

Has anyone been thinking about their plan once they hit day 30 and 31? That's come across my mind now that we're getting closer to the "End" and I think I better go recap my books for that phase...I honestly didn't think I'd make it to that part...

Here's a good tune to listen to, if you're interested..."FIGHT SONG" by Rachel Platten (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxon65u3tA) I think this is a good reminder...we're taking back our lives and proving we can do this!!

I have been thinking about this as well...the reintroduction phase...yikes! It makes me nervous. I had to go back and read that part in the book (pg 218-221). I think the only things I am going to reintroduce and see how it goes on Day 31 is legumes. I don't really want to reintroduce grains ( I honestly haven't missed them -- and this is from an every morning oatmeal eater!! I thought I would go nuts without it.) I feel like I get enough carbs from the potatoes and other starchy veggies I'm eating. My body isn't even craving the grains anymore and I know they were not making me healthier, so why would I add them back in? That's just for me, though! I am also not interested in adding in dairy (but I wasn't really eating it pre-W30). They say you definitely don't want to go out and binge on all the stuff you haven't been eating the past 30 days. It would do a disservice to all the work you've done and make you feel like crap, physically and probably mentally too. 

They suggest you reintroduce the "less healthy" foods one group at a time, while keeping the rest of your diet W30. 

Day 1 - add back in legumes and evaluate

Go back to eating all W30 for 2 days and see how you feel!

Day 4 - add back in non-gluten grains

Go back to eating all W30 for 2 days and see how you feel

Day 7 - Reintroduce dairy

Same as above

Day 10 - add back in gluten-containing grains

Same as above

They said if you don't miss it, though, you don't have to add it back in. The only thing i miss are beans and a little peanut butter every now and again so I plan on just reintroducing legumes. We'll see how I feel on Day 30... :P

Happy, happy day! It's day 21 for me, and I'm starting to get nervous about the end of this too. I like eating this way, and all of a sudden I'm looking forward to my 3 eggs and greens every morning. I'm seriously considering extending the Whole30 or at least eating this way 99% of the time. 

The only thing I really miss is plain greek yogurt, so I would like to add that back in after the 30 days are up. I didn't do a lot of dairy products, except for cheese which is a food without brakes for me. I have also missed sushi. So, so much. Before the whole30, I could have lived on sushi everyday.

I thought I would miss red wine, but I really don't anymore. I feel much better without it, actually. I've never been a fan of legumes or peanut butter, and I haven't missed or craved grains, not even once during this whole thing. 

I am so over-joyed that I don't snack between meals anymore. That's one habit I want to keep from now on.

So that's all very eye-opening. I'm enjoying reading about everyone's "re-entry" strategies. 

So, breakfast - 3 poached eggs and half an apple. (Fresh fruit sounded so good this morning.)

Lunch - chicken apple sausage and boiled potatoes.

Dinner - Chicken drumsticks and thighs, homemade potato salad with homemade mayo, sautéed green and yellow summer squash. 

Naked ribs??? Yes, please!  :)

Hi Everybody,

Wow today is Day 7 for me….who would of ever thought I'd make it this far.  Yeah for me!  Today I went with my husband to the Art Institute and browsed around for a good 3 hours (trying to get my steps in while the weather is so yucky outside).  Always enjoy getting a little culture.

Things i've noticed over the last week; my rings are really loose, my skin is clear and fresh looking, my energy was good most days although still not sleeping the way I'd like, best of all not a single negative digestive episode..woohoo, I'm amazed at how i did not snack at all this week (I was the queen of snacking, I'd rather snack than eat a meal).

Today….

Meal 1: hard boiled eggs over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2: leftover compliant italian sausage with peppers and onions and some compliant marinara sauce

Meal 3: pork tenderloin with green beans.

Have a great day!

I have also missed sushi. So, so much. Before the whole30, I could have lived on sushi everyday.

:)

I miss sushi!  

So legumes....would soy be in there?  I eat edamame and chick peas, not a lot of other legumes.  

I'm waiting another 30 days to reintroduce dairy.  That feels right to me.  

Hi Everybody,

Wow today is Day 7 for me….who would of ever thought I'd make it this far.  Yeah for me!  Today I went with my husband to the Art Institute and browsed around for a good 3 hours (trying to get my steps in while the weather is so yucky outside).  Always enjoy getting a little culture.

Things i've noticed over the last week; my rings are really loose, my skin is clear and fresh looking, my energy was good most days although still not sleeping the way I'd like, best of all not a single negative digestive episode..woohoo, I'm amazed at how i did not snack at all this week (I was the queen of snacking, I'd rather snack than eat a meal).

Today….

Meal 1: hard boiled eggs over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2: leftover compliant italian sausage with peppers and onions and some compliant marinara sauce

Meal 3: pork tenderloin with green beans.

Have a great day!

Congratulations on one week down, Jean!  :)

Laurie & Deb - It is so simple yet so inspiring!  I used to look at each thing and think of 100 reasons to keep it.  I could make this shirt work.  It's not really that faded.  If I get rid of all of this, I won't have anything!  I'm thinking that I might should've finished the book before I started though - lol!  I got half-way through (all the discard chapters) and tackled my clothes this morning.  I have 4 extra large trash bags ready to go out.  Guess I will read the rest of the book and work on storing the keeping stuff this week. 

The pork recipe is delicious!!  There is plenty for lunches for this week as well. 

I've been thinking about reintroduction as well.  I feel fairly confident that wheat is a problem for me, but I love beer so much!  Will have to look for some gluten free beer, but it isn't very likely that I will find it in my small town.  I am excited to be able to eat meat and veggies out without worrying about what they were cooked in!

So this is hilarious that you guys are talking about Konmari because I, too, bought the book recently and started tackling my clothes! Hilarious. My mom actually sent me an article about it because I kept telling her how this W30 was life-changing, so she's like "well you might want to start tidying up and change your life too."! So funny because it is life changing. We got rid of so many bags!!!!

I can't believe we're 3 weeks in! Crazy -- I was bound to keep my mouth shut, but those darn Blackhawks :) I'm a MN fan all the way...so I was rooting for the Ducks...but, now I suppose I can Congratulate the hawks for a job well done. Go Tampa! (please don't hate me)

Don't worry Mcki we won't hate you...much ;-) just kidding!

Personally, I think we should just continue this thread after we are done!! I think most of us, if not all, want to continue eating healthy, so why not continue this thread and continue to help each other?

I had a good day, albeit freakn cold! May 31st and its 48 degrees F? Heloooo where are you springtime? I did get in a 5 mile walk in this chilly weather, hat, gloves and scarf included :-|

Went and did my grocery shopping for the week, which took 3 hours! So much reading still!

Made hard boiled eggs for breakfast for the week, will have homemade mayo, celery and some other veggies with it, along with blueberries and strawberries.

Picked up a fresh coconut and tried it for the first time ever. Where have you been all my life?! So yummy!

Sautéed veggies for a few lunches, and picked up some kale for salads. Will make tuna as well.

Getting down to single digits!! The only thing I'm going to do different is weigh, and measure on day 31. I'm continuing this way of eating for awhile, maybe a long while, I may have a taste of something, but I don't want to feel like crap again, so why eat stuff that makes me feel that way?

My wedding rings are so loose, and I've been wearing them for 27 years :-)

That's it for me today...enjoy!

Don't worry Mcki we won't hate you...much ;-) just kidding!

Personally, I think we should just continue this thread after we are done!! I think most of us, if not all, want to continue eating healthy, so why not continue this thread and continue to help each other?

I agree, Jeanie. I want to continue also. I'm loving this now. So let's keep the home fires burning here. :)

I'm still hanging in there. I have some great nsv's. My pants are all big on me, and even better than that, my skin is clear since the first time since I was about 12. I honestly never thought I'd see the day.

I also agree we should keep it going. It will be interesting to see how everyone feels if/when they try to reintroduce certain foods. I plan on staying whole30-ish for awhile too. It's definitely easier now that we're on day 22!!! Man, time flies!

I'd love to continue on with this thread too.  

Still no tiger blood!  Or maybe I have it but I don't realize it.  In the past, I have been a very energetic person, but this past year and half of being sick has changed me.  I'm feeling like my old self now.  

I'd love to continue on with this thread too.  

Still no tiger blood!  Or maybe I have it but I don't realize it.  In the past, I have been a very energetic person, but this past year and half of being sick has changed me.  I'm feeling like my old self now.  

I kind of feel the same, Lauriem. My tiger comes and goes. He's got a mind of his own, apparently. It hasn't been very dramatic, but I am getting more things done in a day, so maybe it's more about endurance than an energy spike for me. I feel better than I have in years, but some of my autoimmune symptoms haven't really responded yet. That's why I think I should continue with the Whole30 and turn it into a WholeLife. It may take a while to turn some of those symptoms around. After all, I've had them for twenty years. 30 days might not be enough.

They say that inflammation is at the root of so many diseases and autoimmune conditions, and Whole30 is designed to eliminate the inflammation causing foods, namely highly processed, high sugar, pre-packaged, and chemical-laden foods. I'm thinking that it will take a while to calm the inflammatory process and allow my body to heal. I'm all for that.  :)

Breakfast this morning - 3 poached eggs on steamed greens and tomato

Lunch - Leftover chicken, BAS, and olives

Dinner - To be determined… I need to go shopping! lol

Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning everyone!

I did it! I had my son's 4th birthday party and didn't have one piece of cake. I did however made our family some banana ice cream after Meal 2 on Saturday. It was better then cake and it was nice to celebrate, however celebrating with food is questionable. It was nice family treat. I don't feel guilty about that. 

Sunday I felt like I was coming down with something. My daughter is teething and nursing constantly, so I'm upping my protein source and my leafy greens (which are making me gassy and bloated). However, my sleep is awful and I feel this sickness is not helping. I ended up going for my early Sunday run and I couldn't run the whole thing and ended up walking the rest. I don't know if it was mixture of lack of sleep, pollen, or getting sick. I woke up this morning not well rested. The weekend was so packed and busy. I also didn't have time to prep very well for this week. I am hoping to KISS it in the early week. I only had 2 eggs left and one fell on the floor and I didn't have any other emergency protein source to grab and go this morning and I almost panicked. I had a Larabar with some spinach. Sigh. Today is not doing really well... I have chicken tenders which I'll just fry up with some veggies. Also when I woke up this morning my pants felt tighter... I don't like that, but I know it is part of the timeline. This weekend I did graze a bit on veggies during my son's party and I also didn't sit down to enjoy my meals either. With 2 children it is hard to find time and then they are so needy and you feel so rushed. I am just lucky that I'm eating tbh... This is how my weekend went. I feel good that I made great choices, but also just feel sick. Ready to just go home from work and rest if I could. 

I kind of feel the same, Lauriem. My tiger comes and goes. He's got a mind of his own, apparently. It hasn't been very dramatic, but I am getting more things done in a day, so maybe it's more about endurance than an energy spike for me. I feel better than I have in years, but some of my autoimmune symptoms haven't really responded yet. That's why I think I should continue with the Whole30 and turn it into a WholeLife. It may take a while to turn some of those symptoms around. After all, I've had them for twenty years. 30 days might not be enough.

They say that inflammation is at the root of so many diseases and autoimmune conditions, and Whole30 is designed to eliminate the inflammation causing foods, namely highly processed, high sugar, pre-packaged, and chemical-laden foods. I'm thinking that it will take a while to calm the inflammatory process and allow my body to heal. I'm all for that.  :)

I've had some relief from autoimmune symptoms....my feet and ankles are no longer swollen and painful, my left elbow is completely pain free, my right elbow was feeling good but I think all the hard physical work of the weekend has aggravated it.  Most mornings my hands feel pretty good but today, they are a bit achey - again, probably do to all the hard work.

TMI alert - I realize this morning that I haven't had diarrhea in about 2 weeks.  THat's a record for me.  I had been having it every single day for about 20 years.  My GI doctor has always told me to quit dairy, or at least take those lactase, because I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm forgetful and also hate taking pills.  

I really want my husband to try this.  He has a bit of an unsteady gait, he's had a million tests, everything is negative.  I wonder if whole30 would help.  It might be some inflammation that's causing his issues....but he won't try.  I'd like to lock him in a room for 30 days and make him do it, but I think that's illegal.

Hello All! Day 22!!!!

Well, yesterday was quite productive at our house...I cleaned, cooked, and got in a little gardening. For food, I was a mad woman! I made breakfast "muffins" in my muffin tins...I think some of you have made these or referenced them. But, I gave them a try...I put some shredded potatoes, spinach, pico de gallo...then I placed one egg in each tin so I knew how many eggs I was getting in...I scrambled some and then just did a regular, whole egg in the other. Turned out pretty good! (I was going to attach a picture but even though I did it the other day, I can't figure it out today...odd) Very easy to grab and go -- we also made the Shepard's Pie in the Whole30 book...again, very good but next time I'd do it a little different as far as the process goes...i.e. brown the meat and onions/garlic, then add veggies to that versus the opposite. I also made up a pot roast for today to go in the crock pot/slow cooker! Things just seem to be a little easier and I'm thinking ahead to ensure I'm making the best decisions.

I was shocked this morning because a co-worked told me I looked slimmer...I got a little embarrassed because I'm not used to someone "noticing" or "commenting" on my body...I got a little red in the face but was happy to hear that someone else could see a slight change. I really think I'm going to need to keep going after my Whole30 is over...Maybe making it into a Whole60 or Whole75. We'll see! With 8 days left, although I'm progressing and making good choices for my healing body, I will not be at the place I need to be yet....so, best to keep on keeping on!

Archived