Starting May 11th

Debzella

I've had some relief from autoimmune symptoms....my feet and ankles are no longer swollen and painful, my left elbow is completely pain free, my right elbow was feeling good but I think all the hard physical work of the weekend has aggravated it.  Most mornings my hands feel pretty good but today, they are a bit achey - again, probably do to all the hard work.

TMI alert - I realize this morning that I haven't had diarrhea in about 2 weeks.  THat's a record for me.  I had been having it every single day for about 20 years.  My GI doctor has always told me to quit dairy, or at least take those lactase, because I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm forgetful and also hate taking pills.  

I really want my husband to try this.  He has a bit of an unsteady gait, he's had a million tests, everything is negative.  I wonder if whole30 would help.  It might be some inflammation that's causing his issues....but he won't try.  I'd like to lock him in a room for 30 days and make him do it, but I think that's illegal.

Lauriem - That last part made me lol!! And congrats on all those nsv's!!!! I would say that's a win for W30. I have more energy recently than I've had in quite a while and I think I am a more pleasant person to be around. I had someone at the gym ask me about W30 and I told her a little about it and she decided to read ISWF. She's planning on committing to a W30 soon. :) I took a Body Step class this morning after M1 (egg bake with grass fed ground beef, spinach, compliant salsa and olives - so easy and so good!! Also had some miscellaneous roasted veggies). The instructor informed us that we do over 5,000 of the recommended 10,000 daily steps in class. I'll take it!

I also made a curry chicken salad yesterday that was great! I just eyeballed everything I threw in but it came out great. I used a compliant rotisserie chicken and mixed homemade mayo, curry powder, slivered almonds, half a chopped apple, half of a lemon (juiced) a few raisins and grapes cut in half. I put it on top of romaine and it was satisfying and delicious!

Someone asked me what day I was on at work today and I honestly couldn't tell her. I knew it was less than ten but I realized I stopped counting days! It's definitely becoming more natural. 

Happy Monday everyone! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all!

It sounds like many of you are really seeing/feeling positive results!  I don't think I am quite feeling super positive and motivated.  I've not had any extra energy, although I wasn't very sluggish and worn down before I started.  No tiger blood here, for sure...

I've also not had the physical results that it seems many have - I'm so happy for you who have!  Its very motivating!  Perhaps I don't have sensitivity to the foods I've eliminated?  I'm happy to have gone this long without alcohol and sugars and grains for sure...but I'm looking forward to having those things back in my life again - so I don't think I'll be continuing on for more than the 30 days.  I think I'll be maybe 75-80% Whole 30 afterwards.  I've learned many new and great things that I'll keep with me forever.  Looking forward to finishing up strong for the next 9 days!  

Personally, I think we should just continue this thread after we are done!! I think most of us, if not all, want to continue eating healthy, so why not continue this thread and continue to help each other?

Me Too!  Love this group! The encouragement and friendliness of everyone here is such an unexpected and wonderful part of the journey. I am not seeing results quite yet--i know it's only day 20--but i believe in the long road, and since I do really well w structure and deadlines, I've been toying w doing a Whole67 (based off the idea that it takes 66 days to start a new habit + 1 extra day for good luck :). And doing reintroductions either during or after that.

I had my first food dream! leftover pizza, and i was so excited to eat the saucy, doughy bit between where the cheese ends and the crust begins. leftovers? rilly? i couldn't have something specially prepared for me in my own dream? hah! 

Having my period on W30 is a real learning lesson. Based on suggestions from one of the PMS forums, I'm trying to keep my carb level high. last night i craved a peanut butter and jelly sandwich So Bad. I made some rooibos tea and read the forums instead. 

DAY 19

M1 sweet potato hash + fried eggs + tbsp Udo's oil

M2 grilled chicken thighs, avocado, tomato, spicy mayo + snap peas + artichoke hearts + pickles

S1 grapefruit + banana

M3 coconut curry fish and vegetable stew (ginger, garlic, onion, sweet potato, mushroom, bok choy, tilapia, coconut milk, green curry)

S2 rest of the grapefruit and a nosh of dinner leftovers

yesterday was so beautiful and sunny, today is a serious thunderstorm here. kinda cozy in the grey. hope everyone has a warm and loving day!

we also made the Shepard's Pie in the Whole30 book...again, very good but next time I'd do it a little different as far as the process goes...i.e. brown the meat and onions/garlic, then add veggies to that versus the opposite. I also made up a pot roast for today to go in the crock pot/slow cooker! Things just seem to be a little easier and I'm thinking ahead to ensure I'm making the best decisions.

I was shocked this morning because a co-worked told me I looked slimmer...I got a little embarrassed because I'm not used to someone "noticing" or "commenting" on my body...I got a little red in the face but was happy to hear that someone else could see a slight change.

my goodness those muffins, look deeeelish! and congrats on the NSV, you lil work blusher you ;)

question: next time you make the shepards pie, you're browning the meat and onions/garlic and then add veggies. people in this forum seem like good cooks, and i'm never sure what order to do things in. my natural inclination is always sauté the garlic and/or onions first, and then add meat and then veggies, but a lot of recipes suggest adding meat after veg. do people here have preferences for order of cooking meat, and if yes, why? have always been curious about this. THANKS :)

my goodness those muffins, look deeeelish! and congrats on the NSV, you lil work blusher you ;)

question: next time you make the shepards pie, you're browning the meat and onions/garlic and then add veggies. people in this forum seem like good cooks, and i'm never sure what order to do things in. my natural inclination is always sauté the garlic and/or onions first, and then add meat and then veggies, but a lot of recipes suggest adding meat after veg. do people here have preferences for order of cooking meat, and if yes, why? have always been curious about this. THANKS :)

St. Sophia, I followed the directions in the Whole30 book to a tee and they said to do the veggies then add the raw meat to that....I didn't like the way it turned out after it was all baked together in the oven...seemed very watery/greasy. I am like you and would do it the way you suggested over the way in the book next time...I'm really not sure why they would suggest it this way. I was taught to always do your onions/garlic, then add the meat, then the veggies :) I even wrote in "notes" in the book so I don't forget for next time!

Hi Everybody,

Day 8 and all is going well!  Woke up this morning feeling very awake and ready to face the day.  Thus far I've worked on the laundry (it's an all day affair), got my shopping done at Whole Foods, got the crock pot going with a compliance Chocolate Chile (should be interesting…I'll keep you posted as to how it goes), made some ground beef with compliant marinara sauce (will use it this week by putting it over sautéed veggies for lunch….was get pretty tired of the Chicken Protein salad), and hard boiled my eggs for the week.

Today:

Meal 1:  hard boiled eggs over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2:  ground beef with compliant marinara sauce and sautéed veggies

Meal 3:  chocolate chille with a side salad

Hope to get my 10,000 steps in today between the laundry, we finally have some decent weather although it's a bit chilly for June 1st.

Have a great day everyone…we're doing great! 

St. Sophia - I love it! Whole67. That's genius! I think instead of pledging my entire lifetime to this, maybe it's more realistic to do it in shorter term blocks of time… 67 sounds about right to me.  :)

Mcki - Yummy photos! I'm definitely making the muffins. 

The way that I usually cook veggies and meat, is to start with the veggies in order of how long they take to cook, for example start with the onions, and things like carrots, mushrooms and celery, and then add in the rest of the veggies when these start to soften. I usually take out the veggies to a plate, and cook the meat, then take that out and put the veggies back in to cook in the meat juices for a few minutes, and then add the meat back in. This is why no one wants my advice on cooking. I'm very labor intensive and make a ton of dishes.  :P

Chocolate chili! I forgot all about that! I'm putting it on the menu this week, Thanks, Jean. 

No food dreams yet. Just the one I had early on where I vowed in my dream to never have a food dream. Hmmm.

Day 22 and I've got a taste for steak and baked potatoes today. Going to get propane for the grill (something I've been putting off because I have visions of my car going into orbit after the explosion…) and going shopping for steak, if I get the propane back home in one piece. lol.

I've made the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed twice now!  I could eat it every single day.  I was having it for breakfast last week with sauteed onions/peppers.

So, so good.

Chocolate chili! I forgot all about that! I'm putting it on the menu this week, Thanks, Jean. 

I made the pork burgers from Ladyshanny yesterday - a total hit - grilled them.  I had one of those for breakfast this morning with one egg and some sauteed onions/mushrooms/peppers.

I also made the pesto that CCgraves posted a few days ago!  I'm going to use that on  chicken and veg thru the week for dinners.

AND I made the salmon cakes from The Clothes Make the Girl's blog but subbed tuna for the salmon and did the Asian version using Chinese 5 Spice powder instead of Old Bay.  Delish!

And I can't leave out the Baba Ganoush I made (also from The Clothes Make the Girl) on Saturday.  Nom Nom Nom. 

I was in the kitchen for 3.5 hours yesterday!  

Hey guys! My friend Robbyn is starting Whole30 today! I've been telling her how great it is, and she's making the commitment to travel this magical, mystical journey with us.  :)

Welcome, Robbyn! 

hi deb!  thank you for welcoming me!  i'm definitely excited to start this journey with you and everyone here!  deb's told me how great she feels so i can't wait to be feelin' it too!  it's nice to know i can come here with questions and for help!  thanks and i can't wait to meet you all!  thanks again deb!  luv ya!  :)

thank you so much!  i'm really excited to be doing this!  i'm not a big cook so i have to try to think of things to make.  i ordered the book and it will be here tomorrow.  so i can't wait.  but i wanted to start today!  so here i am.  so happy to meet you!   :)

can you give me a couple of ideas for lunch and dinner?  breakfast was easy.  i had a spinach omlette with a fruit smoothie i made in my nutribullet.  just fruit and veggies and water were in it.  it was actually too much!  i'm going to the market so that i can buy some stuff to have on hand.  i see you can't have canned tuna.  there is soy in it which i never knew!  i'm not a big cook at all.  i can't wait to get the book.  

The book will be super helpful! 

You will get used to eating more. You want to sustain yourself between meals (at least 4-5 hrs in-between) and avoid having snacks. 

You can have tuna, you just need to read the labels. There are some brands with just tuna and water. I found one by Wildplanet that I use all the time. :) It's actually one of my "go-to's" for lunch. I make it with Whole 30 mayo (http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/) and will fill the rest of my plate with veggies or put it in a salad. Lots of times I'm eating leftovers from dinner the night before. Have you checked out the rules and the meal template? They are both super helpful!

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

In fact, all of these downloads are helpful! ;)

http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

They do suggest avoiding smoothies for the 30 days: "Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.rgFghJdB.dpuf"

You're off to a great start, though!!

Welcome, Robyn! I hope you enjoy this journey!

Something I frequently do for lunch is grilled chicken (try to batch grill it on the weekend) and a hard boiled egg in a salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. If you've prepped ahead, it's pretty quick, easy and delicious. It's also quite portable.

• Administrators

The book will be super helpful! 

You will get used to eating more. You want to sustain yourself between meals (at least 4-5 hrs in-between) and avoid having snacks. 

You can have tuna, you just need to read the labels. There are some brands with just tuna and water. I found one by Wildplanet that I use all the time. :) It's actually one of my "go-to's" for lunch. I make it with Whole 30 mayo (http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/) and will fill the rest of my plate with veggies or put it in a salad. Lots of times I'm eating leftovers from dinner the night before. Have you checked out the rules and the meal template? They are both super helpful!

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

In fact, all of these downloads are helpful! ;)

http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

They do suggest avoiding smoothies for the 30 days: "Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.rgFghJdB.dpuf"

You're off to a great start, though!!

Excellent suggestions!  Eat enough for 4-5 hours, don't drink your food, read labels like it was your mission in life and check out all the information online to help you understand what you've signed up for!

hi there init2winit!  you are soooo nice and soooo helpful!  thank you so much for all of this!  i did find a canned tuna. it's called Wild Selections Solid White Albacore Tuna in water.  the ingredients are white tuna, water, not a sodium free food.  the sodium is 30 mg for 2 servings a can.  so i think that's ok.  it's like $3.00 a can.  i bought Applegate organic turkey burgers.  the ingredients are organic turkey, organic rosemary extract.  gluten and casein free.  and i bought alot of veggies and fruit.  i see you can have dates too!  i didn't get them today because i was spending enought as it was.  LOL!  how about raisins?  are they allowed.  i get organic raisins.  i have to see how to make the whole food mayo.  thanks for the link!  i will definitely stay away from the smoothies as you suggested.  i thought it was ok, because it was just fruit and veggies, water, and ice, mixed in my Nutribullet.  

thank you again for all your help!  i will be asking many more questions!  LOL!  i need all the help i can get right now!  LOL!  

robbs, :)

thank you for the warm welcomes jmn1962, arin, and ladyshanny!  arin, i am definitely going to prepare a bunch of things ahead of time this weekend so i have it ready to grab!  that's a great suggestion!  i'm really excited and can't wait for that book to arrive!   :)

i see you can have dates too!  i didn't get them today because i was spending enought as it was.  LOL!  how about raisins?  are they allowed.  i get organic raisins.  

Dates and raisins are ok in limited amounts, provided they are compliant. You want to ensure they're not coated with any sugar or sweetener or contain sulfites or other non-compliant additives.  As far as fruit goes, the recommendation is fresh vs. dried, and with meals vs. alone as a snack.

hi chris!  thanks for the info!  the ingredients for the raisins are:  organic raisins, less than 1% sunflower oil.  that's it.  so i guess they are ok.  i will be sure to have them with a meal.  thanks chris!   :)

Hi Robbs and welcome! 

Lunch ideas - whatever you have for dinner make enough for a few meals. That's what I do anyway. Also, if you're used to having sandwiches, make lettuce sandwiches with egg salad (make your mayo), tuna salad, leftover chicken and whatever you can imagine...Try not to eat the same thing all the time to avoid boredom, which leads to trouble! Be sure you eat 3 full meals, don't skip any, and drink lots of liquids. Make sure you read every single food label, you wouldn't believe how many things have some kind of sugar in them. Bacon!! What? Who knew?

Jean - You're not the new-kid-on-the-block anymore! Now, it's your turn to share your experience! Awesome how this all works isn't it.

B-egg salad (W30 mayo), celery, red peppers, blueberries and blackberries

L-grilled chicken, 1 bacon strip (compliant) BAS with kale and romaine, EVOO, BV, Pear

D-Grilled flank steak marinated in EVOO and BV, garlic, S&P, with baked red potato, bell peppers, melon, 6 almonds and slivered coconut

Walked 4 miles today.

Single digits! Woot Woot! Can't wait to weigh and measure next week!

Archived