crohn's and supplements

Hi all! I have crohn's disease, diagnosed six years ago. This is my first day on whole 30, and I am excited to see if this change will help my flares and symptoms, particularly bloating and pain. I was taking fish oil for inflammation, but stopped this morning because I read the ingredients and it has soy in it! Any good fish oil brands without soy. Or should I just stop all my supplements all together? 

• Moderators

You should eat salmon, sardines, herring, or tuna 3 to 4 times per week and forget about fish oil supplements. I eat mostly canned salmon and tuna because that is convenient and I can make salmon salad or tuna salad in about 10 minutes. 

• Moderators

Like Tom says, you should just eat fish.

However, because sometimes some of us are not good about eating fish as often as we should :ph34r: , I will tell you that if you go to the Whole30 Approved page and scroll down to the bottom, there's a company called SFH whose fish oil is (at least at this moment, although future readers should always double check) compliant.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

If you are not yet a fan of sardines, start with the Wild Planet brand.  They cost a little more but, IMHO, are much tastier (less fishier, firmer, don't fall apart).  And if you go with canned salmon - don't throw away the bones - lots of minerals in there!  Salmon cakes are a good way to use the skin and bones and not notice them.  Dumped over a salad... not sure I could do that :)

Archived