24 May- Higgles' Why Not Today Log

Higgles

For those of  you who are checking out my log, thank you! I appreciate others insights into my choices and meal plans so feel free to chime in :) 

A little background on me, I've always been a bit overweight but could never make positive changes stick. Overall I like to eat healthy and am pretty educated on what is good for my body and lifestyle, but I don't treat myself with enough respect to keep bad things out of my body. I can't control portions, I could eat all day if no one was watching me, and I have an issue with saying no to unhealthy additions. A healthy meat and vegetable dinner, sounds great. Oh an appetizer of wine and cheese, that sounds amazing... bring it on. One day I would like to be able to responsibly indulge when I make a conscious decision to, today I say yes to everything. I work out a fair amount but its no where near what is needed to control my weight. I could keep going but you don't need my life story :) 

This is my second attempt at a Whole 30. I started one in February and made it to day 26 or 27 when I caved during a business trip. I was sitting in a hotel room, hungry, no compliant restaurants around, the grocery store was closed (I live in Germany and stores being closed early is common). There were compliant choices I could have made... I could have made do with plain tuna and some cut veggies, but I didn't. I grabbed a box of pizza rolls from the gas station and ate them all... I felt awful. Not only that, I ate a box every day during that trip... completely off the wagon. When I returned I found it difficult to get back on track. I gained some weight back, my body aches, my head hurts, and I'm just as far away from my goals as I was 3 months ago. I'm ready to make some positive changes, but more importantly, I need them to stick!

To prepare for this 30 I made a list of compliant meals that I could choose from to help in my meal planning. Since my first 30 I've been much more conscious of sugar in packaged items, and have already limited what was in the house. I put all my husbands snack foods in his own drawer so I won't have to see them. I planned out my first week of meals, and am going shopping today (Day 1 was yesterday but we had food available). My husband and I eat the same lunch/dinners, but he is not doing a Whole 30 with me and thus he will continue to have snack foods around. He is supportive of my eating habits (although he is not a fan of me giving up wine, because that means he won't have any this month either), but because he doesn't like some vegetables it is tough for me to make certain meals (these include mushrooms, any kind of squash, and brussels sprouts). I would like to see how I can use these veggies in easy side dishes so i can still eat them but its not difficult to add them onto an already existing meal. 

Anyway, thank you for caring enough to read. I look forward to your thoughts :) 

24 May- Day 1: 

M1 - 3 eggs w/a handful of spinach and cut onions/yellow squash, scrambled in some ghee.  2 slices ham, and about 1/4 of an avocado. 

M2: 1/2 breast of coconut curry spiced chicken breast, broiled asparagus, sautéed mushrooms, 1/4 avocado, and 2 pickles. Also, a hardboiled egg... didn't fit with the theme of lunch but I was worried I needed to eat more, haha. 

(http://thehonoursystem.com/2014/10/01/coconut-curry-chicken-marinade-gluten-free/)

M3: Green salad with green onion, carrot, baby tomato, 1/8 avocado, garlic stuffed olive with balsamic dressing.

1/4 of a southwest meatloaf (1lb meat prior to cooking) with a mashed avocado topping (approx 1/4 of an avocado), 1/2 of a large sweet potato with ghee, and a green bean shallot sauté in olive oil. 

(http://paleomg.com/paleo-southwest-meatloaf/#.UL7OcOlfke8.pinterest)

I felt pretty good at the end of the day.... we made loose leaf tea before bed, I didn't feel any severe cravings, only a slight headache a bit before dinner so I drank some more water. 

RE: The veggies your husband doesn't like--why not roast up a pan or 2 and keep them for adding to your meals? I LOVE roasted mushrooms  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  and I will do a tub of them to add to my salads or just eat along side. I usually do them with salt, pepper, herbs and garlic with olive oil drizzled over, same thing with the summer squash--zucchini, yellow squash, crookneck--soooo good! Winter squash--acorn, butternut, hubbard, etc, I roast them either halved, seeded and sometimes stuffed with a savory meat mixture, or I peel (butternut squash) and cube them up with potatoes and roast away OR I make soups out of them. You could make single meal soup portions for yourself and keep in the freezer and then you can enjoy when ever! 

Day 2:

Yesterday I started the day out strong, but around lunchtime felt like I was hit by a bus. First it started out just with a headache and extreme fatigue, then I got achy and the chills. It came on so fast I just curled up on my couch with a blanket. I haven't gotten sick in about 2 years but my husband had a bug last week and I must have caught it. I went from being too hot to too cold, my head hurt, my throat hurt, my body hurt, and at one point I just started crying (that time of the month paired with how pathetic I felt). I still had an appetite, just not a large one, so thankfully it didn't effect my eating plan at all, especially since my husband took care of me and heated up dinner. Its a good reminder to have a compliant meal in the freezer for such occasions.

M1: 3 eggs scrambled w/ a splash of coconut milk and green onions and zucchini. Ham and avocado on the side.

M2: Leftovers: a serving of the southwest meatloaf from the night before, mashed avocado and some green bean shallot sauté.

M3: A crustless chicken pot pie (shredded chicken with veggies cooked in coconut milk). Although the stew had veggies in it, I didn't get a good serving of vegetables, or a fat, but considering how poorly I felt, I'm just glad I ate something compliant. I was craving ramen noodles...

Day 3: 

I was feeling better than the day prior but not 100%. Unfortunately I don't have sick days at work so I slept in as much as I could and suffered through it. By the end of the day my appetite was back although it hurt to swallow... had to cut my pieces up very small!

M1: 3 eggs scrambled w/a splash of coconut milk. No veggies, meat or fats, the 3 eggs were about what I could handle. 

M2: Another serving of the crustless chicken pot pie from the night before. Again, no veggies or fat as we didn't have anything left in the house (I couldn't go food shopping because instead I was dying on the couch). 

M3: Pan fried pork chop with a homemade dry rub http://gfrealfood.com/2010/05/31/the-only-dry-rub-youll-ever-need/ broiled asparagus and a salad with 1/4 avocado. The dry rub was just ok, my husband said he would eat it again but he wouldn't choose to have it for dinner if that makes sense. We always used a rub with sugar in it so I think finding one without will be difficult. 

Sorry you're not feeling so good - bone broth might be the ideal thing for you if you can get your hands on some?

Your link doesn't bring up your dry rub recipe so not sure what was in it, but cinnamon works well with pork & if you can often get your sweetness from vegetables - leeks in particular add a sweetness to most greens....

Thanks for letting me know, I edited the link. Honestly nothing wrong with it, but nothing great. I haven't tried cinnamon so I'll have to look up something with that. I've only worked with leeks in stews in the like, how do you cook with them?

Hi Higgles! 

I just wanted to offer up some support / advice. I failed at my first couple Whole30's and I attribute it to my mindset. If you think about what you CAN eat vs. what you CAN'T while doing the Whole30, you will find it's easier to put meals together, and get excited for them! Constantly thinking about the chips and bread that you have given up will just make you miss them. But thinking about the new ways of eating veggies, protein, and fruit should be exciting!

Good Luck!  

Thanks for letting me know, I edited the link. Honestly nothing wrong with it, but nothing great. I haven't tried cinnamon so I'll have to look up something with that. I've only worked with leeks in stews in the like, how do you cook with them?

I add leeks when I'm sauteeing a bunch of cabbage (I also add chopped courgettes, onion & rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes), I add them to fritattas, I add them to curries, spinach, I chop & saute them with garlic & mushrooms - I cook them with everything - they just add some good flavour.... They are also good sliced about 2cm thick & roasted along with root veg. There's not a week goes by that they're not included in at least one dish for the week....!!

Day 4: 

I didn't wake up feeling good, but I woke up feeling better, that is until I found out I lost my voice. I have never lost my voice before, its so weird, everyone made fun of me at work all day whispering when I whispered. 

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with zucchini and onions (I forgot to add spinach!), with ham and avocado. 

M2: Leftovers- the pork chop and broiled asparagus from dinner. Hubby packed me a salad but the store didn't have any fresh heads of lettuce so we got the bagged kind and it tasted so bitter I didn't even eat the salad. 

M3: Chicken tandoori (http://thebigmansworld.com/2015/03/22/pulled-tandoori-chicken/ ), over nomnompaleo's cauli rice and a half an avocado. I make the meal plans and hubby makes dinner each night, so he says hey there was no green vegetable planned so this is all we have... so I asked him why didn't he just make a veggie? His answer was well thats  a good point, i'm an idiot, so therefore dinner was a little lacking in veggies. 

I can't believe I'm still feeling so crappy, thank god for my husband who has been doing the cooking and taking care of me. I can absolutely see how easy it would be to fall back into old habits or eat unhealthy things because they're not feeling well. Day 5 I was feeling ok enough to go out to dinner, the hubby had a  busy day working outside and asked if we could go out. I made the healthiest choices I could and didn't cave to all the temptation. Day 6 was tough, with a cookout at work. Even though I prepared myself mentally I still caved with some bites of treats. I had a few meatballs that I believe had some sugar in them, and there may have been some sugar in the salad dressing (oil and herb based), but other than that I felt pretty good about my decisions. 

Day 5: 

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with zucchini and green onions, with ham (maybe avocado, I don't remember)

M2: Salad mix; Leftover chicken tandoori with cauli rice and a half an avocado. Not enough food... I may have had a larabar, but it was a few days ago and I honestly don't remember. 

M3: Dinner out: Mixed green salad with balsamic brought from home; steak with mushrooms and garlic with steamed vegetables.

Day 6:

M1: 3 Scrambled Eggs and ham

M2: (Work Potluck) Salad with oil based herb dressing, meatballs (the meatballs had sauce on it which I tried not to eat bc even though it was homemade by a coworker I know there was some sugar on it), 1 sausage, 1 bacon wrapped date, several pieces of steak....

M3: Garlic-Lime chicken ( https://randomanderson.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/garlic-lime-chicken/) with onion green bean sauté and Garlic baked potatoes

Day 7: 

M1: 3 scrambled eggs (not a big breakfast but I slept in so late bc I'm still sick)

M2: Leftover M3 from the night before (Garlic lime chicken, green bean saute and baked potato)

M3: Pan fried pork chop w/ same rub as Day 1; balsamic roasted cauliflower, and salad with black olives

Wow I fell behind in posting! I'm still doing alright overall, but I need some help on a few things... I know I need to fix them I just get caught up in being busy with life, ya know!?

Day 8: 

M1: 3 Eggs scrambled with some mixed veggies; coffee with coconut milk

M2: Leftovers from the night before

M3: Pork Chops Pizzaiola w/asparagus - zucchini noodles with compliant tomato sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-chops-alla-pizzaiola-recipe.html)-- Recipe was eh I wouldn't make it again

Snack: Cashews

Day 9: 

M1: Egg Fritatta (http://www.vitamin-sunshine.com/spinach-and-caramelized-onion-frittata-sweet-potato-crust/) I mixed it up a bit, I used 10 eggs instead of 8 (that only averages to 2 eggs/day for the week) and added some extra veggies. Of course, I didn't add the cheese :)

M2:Left over Pork Chops Pizziola

Snack: Baggie of compliant tuna (so hard to find, packed in oil) and handful of black olives

M3: Baked chicken w/spinach and artichokes with Asparagus and a big salad (http://diethood.com/baked-chicken-spinach-artichokes/)** I love this meal

Day 10: 

M1:Egg Fritatta as above

M2: Leftover Baked Chicken w/spinach and artichokes

Snack: Larabar--- yes I know I shouldn't have a larabar, and I'm using it to branch from M2-M3 but I feel like there is SOO much time between both meals that I need something. I just need to think it out better. I did this for the next few days in a row, but have run out and don't plan on buying any more.

M3:

Day 11: 

M2:Baked chicken w/spinach and artichokes as above

Snack: Larabar

M3: Beef Fajitas with portobellos, grilled onions and peppers (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/03/beef-fajitas/)- Obviously no tortillas or cheese, etc so I had it on a big salad... didn't need any extra dressing or topping besides some compliant salsa

Day 12: 

M2: Beef Fajita salad leftovers with a serving of black olives

Snack: Hardboiled egg and larabar

M3: Green Chicken Curry with some extra veggies on top of Nomnompaleo's cauli rice (http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy-thai-chicken-recipe-paleo/)

I'm sure I'm missing meals because I don't remember, but overall the only "snacking" I've done is a larabar in the afternoon because I'm hungry and its what I have. I need to bring bigger lunches. I haven't really had any cravings for non-compliant foods, or at least nothing that has lasted very long. So I'm feeling pretty good, making good choices although not perfect ones, and I'm physicall and mentally doing well.

Wow I fell behind in posting! I'm still doing alright overall, but I need some help on a few things... I know I need to fix them I just get caught up in being busy with life, ya know!?

Day 8: 

M1: 3 Eggs scrambled with some mixed veggies

M2: Leftovers from the night before

M3: Pork Chops Pizzaiola w/asparagus - zucchini noodles with compliant tomato sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-chops-alla-pizzaiola-recipe.html)-- Recipe was eh I wouldn't make it again

Snack: Cashews

Day 9: 

M1: Egg Fritatta (http://www.vitamin-sunshine.com/spinach-and-caramelized-onion-frittata-sweet-potato-crust/) I mixed it up a bit, I used 10 eggs instead of 8 (that only averages to 2 eggs/day for the week) and added some extra veggies. Of course, I didn't add the cheese :)

M2:Left over Pork Chops Pizziola

Snack: Baggie of compliant tuna (so hard to find, packed in oil) and handful of black olives

M3: Baked chicken w/spinach and artichokes with Asparagus and a big salad (http://diethood.com/baked-chicken-spinach-artichokes/)** I love this meal

Day 10: 

M2: Leftover Baked Chicken w/spinach and artichokes

Snack: Larabar--- yes I know I shouldn't have a larabar, and I'm using it to branch from M2-M3 but I feel like there is SOO much time between both meals that I need something. I just need to think it out better. I did this for the next few days in a row, but have run out and don't plan on buying any more.

M3:

Day 11: 

M2:Baked chicken w/spinach and artichokes as above

Snack: Larabar

M3: Beef Fajitas with portobellos, grilled onions and peppers (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/03/beef-fajitas/)- Obviously no tortillas or cheese, etc so I had it on a big salad... didn't need any extra dressing or topping besides some compliant salsa

Day 12: 

M2: Beef Fajita salad leftovers with a serving of black olives

Snack: Hardboiled egg and larabar

M3: Green Chicken Curry with some extra veggies on top of Nomnompaleo's curry rice (http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy-thai-chicken-recipe-paleo/)

I'm sure I'm missing meals because I don't remember, but overall the only "snacking" I've done is a larabar in the afternoon because I'm hungry and its what I have. I need to bring bigger lunches. I haven't really had any cravings for non-compliant foods, or at least nothing that has lasted very long. So I'm feeling pretty good, making good choices although not perfect ones, and I'm physicall and mentally doing well.

Thank you for sharing the Egg Fritatta recipe!  I am going to give it a shot to mix up my Meal1!  Thanks!!

Day 13:

I felt like a champ yesterday. I was hosting a big conference all week and yesterday was the last day. I went and bought some German pastries for the team, first to be nice, but also because the day before everyone looked drained and I wanted to give them a sugar rush and power throuhg the next morning. I know how hypocritical it is to feel others with things you wouldn't eat yourself, but I didn't have the time or the money to make everyone a whole 30 breakfast, and lets be honest, it would go to waste.

Anyway, the point of that was that I didn't feel any jealousy that they were eating things I normally would have torn into. I took two pastries home for my husband and they didn't tempt me either. Later in the morning I was told that someone else in the building was hosting a breakfast and my team was invited to partake. We all went into this conference area and I didn't even look at what was being served... why should I? I already had breakfast and knew there was nothing there I could eat. They did have a fruit bowl which looked good but knowing that I shouldn't have fruit on its own (and I've eliminated fruit in this 30) I skipped that as well. I mingled in the room and talked to coworkers, including a woman who is pretty strict paleo and also wouldn't touch anything. I think she normally feels pretty left out in potlucks and is now greatful to have someone who eats the same way in the building. Although she hasn't done the whole 30, I can still talk to her about old cravings and whats healthy/not healthy, so I think that will help at future events.

Later on I came home and saw that my husband had worked on getting our bikes ready to ride. I have not ridden a bike since maybe college, and neither has he (plus he's not athletic). I was SO happy to see that he was making an effort, but we lost track of time and didn't have time to make our planned dinner before an evening appointment. We decided to take the 3 minute bike ride to our neighborhood restaurant which is mainly an Italian place, meaning lots of Pasta! Luckily they also have good steaks that seem to be compliant which I planned on getting until I looked at their seafood selection and forgot they have a very plain broiled shrimp platter, which is normally pretty expensive, but apparently Friday is ladies night where meals are half off. I felt like this was a calling. I realized I forgot my own dressing and their salad comes with a cream based dressing, so I tried my best German to ask for some oil and vinegar and they were able to understand. The shrimp were, just that, broiled shrimp and i didn't use the butter sauce on the side, just some lemon. They even drizzed some balsamic over the steamed veggies. Even for those of you that have traveled abroad, please keep in mind that I don't live in a big city, just a small village and not everyone understands English. We are typically unable to ask for special requests because of the language barrier so I was overjoyed that they understood what I was asking for and didn't seem bothered by it.

M1: Egg Fritatta with Coffee and coconut milk (I have this coffee every morning but I forget to include it)

M2: Leftover Green Curry with smallest salad ever (ran out of lettuce!)

Midday snack: Hardboiled Egg

M3: Small Mixed green salad with oil and red wine vinegar; broiled shrimp and cauli/broccoli mix with balsamic drizzle

Day 14:

M1: 3 eggs fried in ghee over chopped veggies with 1/4 avocado and a few beef strips (left overs from fajitas)

M2: Salad with canned tuna fish, 1/4 avocado, olives, and leftover onion/pepper fajita mix

Snack: Pickle slices and a few olives

M3: Salad with 1/4 avocado and olives, sundried tomatoes, with 1/2 sweet potato and ghee, roasted broccoli and grilled halibut (not even bothering to look up the recipe bc it was awful).

I actually got some exercise today, the hubs and I went on a 9 mile bike ride, which is more than he's done in maybe 15 years, but I also can't remember the last time I rode a bike, it was great. However, I wished I had more in the house in the way of a snack for after that, I just made some fresh iced tea while he chowed down on chips!

Day 15-- Halfway there!

M1: 3 Eggs fried in ghee, with 1/4 avocado. No veggies... We don't have a lot in the house right now and the thought of chopping some up this morning was exhausting to think about.

M2: 2 hardboiled eggs over a green salad, with olives, onions, 1/4 avocado and dump ranch. I am now officially obsessed with this ranch dressing, I'm glad I haven't made it any sooner or I would be eating all of it always.

Snack: a bunch of olives... my lunch salad wasn't big enough

M3:  Pork tenderloin (http://kitchenconfidante.com/roast-pork-loin-with-balsamic-dijon-thyme-recipe) with Cauliflower mash  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauliflower-mashed) green bean saute and leftover sweet potato (about 1/4)

Day 16- Today I did my first workout in a long time, a chest and back workout. It was awful, I'm out of shape normally but its been a long time since I worked these muscles. I then hit the eliptical for 30 minutes and did some abs. Overall I'm glad I got my butt in gear but it was disappointing to see my abilities.

PWO- Hard Boiled Egg

M1: Egg bake (made with 1 dozen eggs, 1/2 a sweet potato and other cut up veggies. Baked and cut into 4 pieces, one for each day this week)

M2: Leftover pork and veggies

PWO: hard boiled egg and a few olives

* Yin Yoga Class

M3: Sausage and peppers with a salad and dump ranch dressing. No recipe, just sauteed meat and veggies and fire-roasted tomatoes.

Day 17- I was still pretty sore from the workout the day before so I didn't go to the gym. I brought gear to work out in the afternoon when I was loosened up, but I never made it.

M1: Egg bake with Salsa, coffee with coconut milk

M2: Leftover sausage and peppers with a salad and dump ranch.

Pre-dinner snack: We had a really late dinner because the hubs had an appointment, so I sauteed some zucchini in ghee and dipped them in the leftover dump ranch. I ate the rest and felt guilty but i was starving. I also had a handful of almonds.

M3: Made some chicken kabobs with veggies and used the rosemary marinade (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/build-your-own-shish-kabobs-recipe.html). Because dinner was late I didn't want to eat too much. 

Day 18- Today I did an upper body workout, no time for any cardio, but it felt good getting back into it after several weeks off.

PWO- Hard Boiled Egg

M1: Egg bake with salsa

M2: Leftover Kabobs.

Snack- Hard boiled egg, cashews, olives. I know I shouldn't be snacking but I'm not eating enough at lunch.

M3: basil garlic chicken breast with steamed broccoli and sauteed green beans (http://www.afamilyfeast.com/grilled-basil-garlic-chicken-breasts). The marinate was too light we probably would not make it again.

wow, I can't believe I let myself go so long without logging... I think we all know that its not going to be accurate but I think I need to keep this up even after my W30 is over.

Day 19:

M1: Egg bake with Salsa

M2: Leftover basil garlic chicken w/broccoli and sautéed green beans.

M3: Pork chop with balsamic onion sauce, avocado with homemade mayo and roast asparagus.

Day 20: This was the first day of a 3-day weekend, and we were traveling to Munich Germany. Yes, that sounds like an awful place to go on a whole 30 but we live in Germany so this is what we do on our weekends! I already prepped myself mentally and had no cravings for the beer.. but maybe the pretzels...

M1: 3 eggs sautéed with leftover veggies in the house...

M2: A greek salad from a restaurant on our trip... the salad had no lettuce, obviously something I didn't realize, however it was just oil and vinegar with some spices, and cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and olives. Luckily I had 2 hard boiled eggs in the car and had those immediately after my salad, and hubby let me have some of his skewered meat.

Snack: I had a small handful of olives and some almond/cashews when we got the hotel to keep my energy up with all the walking we were doing. The hotel put gummy bears on our pillows which my husband promptly removed for me (and ate them himself)

M3: Salad with chicken leg, some pork sausage... we went to the famous hofbrauhaus and no I didn't have any beer, I didn't even crave it! I looked up the menu ahead of time and figured that the salad with chicken was a safe bet. My husband got a sausage platter and I had some of the pork sausage which was pretty tasty, and some of their homemade sauerkraut.. yum. Hubby got a massive pretzel for desert, and I'll admit I did want some, but I refrained.

Day 21:

M1: Scrambled eggs, pork sausage, some fruit,- Breakfast was included in the hotel, typical European breakfast includes cold meats and cheeses and BREAD! Luckily the bread was on a completely different table so I walked past, and grabbed some of the pre-scrambled eggs, a few sausage links and some fruit, which I normally don't eat but I didn't want to starve. I also stole 2 hardboiled eggs for later in the day in case I needed them.

M2: GIANT salad with grilled shrimp.... we did greek again because their menus are pretty straight forward and minus the tzaiki sauce, there aren't a lot of saucy dishes. I ordered their farmers salad with veggies and added on some grilled shrimp. Of course the salad came covered in corn and kidney beans, so I spent the first 10 minutes of the meal picking them all off. It also came with a balsamic dressing instead of their cream dressing, but I think it had something mixed in because about an hour later when we were in a museum I felt like I was hit by a truck. Completely exhausted... some of it maybe had to do with the fact that it was a really boring museum and I didn't want to be there, I also had 1/4 of the amount of coffee I normally do in a morning (I'm cutting back on consumption, but the hotel cups were tiny), but I'm wondering what could have been in the dressing to make me feel bad...

M3: Pork chop with roasted potatoes, side salad and fruit bowl. I was able to look up this German restaurant ahead of time and scope out the menu, the pork chop was the most W30 friendly and it was delicious, the roast potatoes didn't really have greens with them but the germans don't serve a lot of green vegetables. Even their salads aren't what we expect of a normal salad, sometimes they don't even have lettuce. I followed the meal with their fruit dish, not because I was craving sugar, but I wanted to pair it and the hubby wanted a german apple strudel and felt odd being the only one eating dessert. I don't feel guilty about this at all, I consider it a part of my meal.

Day 22:

M1: Veggie omelet with pork sausage... Found out the 2nd morning that the hotel would do omelets, not that big but it hit the spot and got me (some) veggies.

M2: Grilled chicken salad... I had two compliant restaurants on my radar for lunch, but we changed up our plans and were no where near where these restaurants were so we just made do. We were sick of German so we went to an Irish Pub. One of their specials was a grilled chicken salad, I asked them to hold the cheese, and just had the balsamic on the side. I'm sure in some of these dressings and marinades there may be some sugar, but I was really limiting what I was consuming.

M3: I planned on us eating near our house on our trip home but we were a lot later than we expected, so we found a Mexican place along the way. I ordered the fajitas, with a salad instead of rice and beans, and no sour cream. I poured the veggies and steak on top of the salad and topped with guac and it was to die for. I love making giant salads of my food.

Day 23: Today was not a friend to me, since we got home so late I planned on sleeping late and getting into work late. As I was about to make breakfast I realized I had a super important early meeting and rushed out the door with no food.

M1: 2 hardboiled eggs mixed with some mayo, almonds (more than I should have)... and yes, a larabar, bc I was starving

M2: Grilled chicken salad... again, no food in the house so I went to the only compliant restaurant near work which was aha a german place and I got a grilled chicken salad with their mustard dressing... I made sure there was no dairy, but I'm not sure about what else. I think I also had some black olives.

M3: Pork chop with broccoli and green bean saute (http://worldsbestrecipes4utoday.blogspot.de/2013/12/grilled-pork-chops-with-basil-garlic-rub.html#.UqOaW86mX4s)

Day 24:

M1: 3 egg veggie scramble... no fat because the avocado didn't taste right

M2: Shrimp fajitas with a salad... again with the fajitas and eating out. Normally we don't eat out this much but after we go out of town its really hard to get back on track. The markets are closed on Sundays in Germany so its not like we can just pop in for some food, and hubby doesn't like to do the shopping on Monday bc it is always packed...

M3: grilled steak with asparagus and a sweet potato, left over broccoli and green bean sauté from night before

Day 25:

M1: 3 egg veggie scramble, still no fat

M2: Leftover steak, asparagus, sweet potato and broccoli and green bean saute

M3: braised chicken with onions and peppers over cauli rice. Small salad with homemade ranch dressing but the lettuce was BITTER! (http://www.cookincanuck.com/2014/04/easy-braised-balsamic-herb-chicken-recipe/#more-14743)

Day 26:

M1: 3 Egg Veggie scramble

M2: Leftover braised chicken with a small salad and homemade ranch

M3: NomNompaleo green grilled chicken with sauteed broccoli and sauteed spinach (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486821187/my-sisters-phenomenal-grilled-green-chicken)

Day 27:

M1: 3 egg veggie scramble

M2: Leftover grilled chicken and veggies

M3: Lime marinated mahi-mahi with balsamic green beans and baked sweet potato chunks. I couldn't even choke down the green beans but the mahi was eh. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lime-Marinated-Mahi-Mahi/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=lime%20mahi&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i2)

My last days....

Day 28:

M1: 3 Fried eggs over sautéed spinach (ran out of veggies in the house)

M2: Greek salad with Grilled chicken... again with the greek restaurants not serving lettuce in their salads! It was a pile of cucumber, tomatoes, onions and olives with chicken... very good and filling but I would have liked some lettuce :)

M3: Coconut curry chicken over cauli rice with a salad and homemade dump ranch dressing

Day 29:

M1: 3 eggs over easy, over sautéed veggies, coffee with coconut milk

M2: Leftover coconut curry chicken w/cauli rice

M3: Rosemary garlic pork loin with broccoli and artichokes; salad with homemade dump ranch dressing

Day 30- TODAY!

M1: 3 Egg veggie casserole, coffee with coconut milk

M2: Leftover pork and broccoli, with some cauli rice from the curry/ salad with homemade dump ranch dressing

M3: Taco Salad :)

Tomorrow is the first day of re-intro... I suppose I will continue this log over there :)

Day 31: First day of reintroduction-- I decided to jump right into reintro so I don't get tempted by distractions like last time.

BEANS:

M1: Egg veggie scramble with a handful of white beans

M2: Leftover Taco salad with a large handful of Kidney beans

M3: Pesto Pork chop with green bean onion sauté, salad with a handful of white beans

- I expected the beans to hit me right away but oddly enough they didn't. I had a bit of tummy irregularity before breakfast and I don't think it went away at breakfast so I felt the urge "to go" but didn't actually have to go. Up until after lunch I was fine but had very minor gas in the car on the way home. I didn't really have a BM when I got home (I usually do) but after M3 I got a bit gassier and uncomfortable. The following morning I still didn't really have to go but still had that "urge." By the time lunch came today (Day 32) I'm feeling fine again.

Thoughts: Although I didn't have significant pain or side effects from beans, I don't like being gassy or not in control, no one likes feeling uncomfortable and I don't have a real reason for beans anymore, so maybe I don't really plan on adding these back in...

Archived