PCOS and natural progesterone

carriepetiprin

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS part of my treatment is taking a few supplements as well as natural progesterone from wild yam not soy. All products say they contain vegetable glycerin or cellulose. So should I stop taking the supplements? I have researched myself and chose to take these as part of my treatment. They were not Dr recommended. According to the whole30 website, it states that the diet alone could cure PCOS

Whole30 eating can help to balance out your hormones which in turn can reduce or eliminate your PCOS symptoms. If you choose to take supplements while on Whole30 then they need to be compliant. Vegetable glycerine is an alcohol compound formed from sugar which, in my view, would be a no-go. (But I would defer to one of the mods for a final ruling.) Cellulose would be okay, I think. Make sure you read the rest of the label to check for other fillers.

If the doctor prescribed a medication or supplement then the doctor's orders would trump the Whole30 rules.

• Administrators

Glycerin is a no go, sorry!  It's a sneaky sweetener and is called out on the Sneaky Sugars list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf

Also, just as an aside, unless the wording has changed dramatically, I do not believe that the Whole30 claims to "cure PCOS" or any other malady that folks may have.  The Whole30 was simply designed to remove known "less healthy" foods and those that are disruptive to the human body, thereby giving your body its best chance to help heal itself.  Your mileage may vary.

I also have PCOS. Without more info about you, I can share my own experience with you.

... Six years ago and weighing 261, actually went to the doctors for help. After explaining my life choices and a few test, I was told I have PCOS. having a dr with a nutritionist review my personal situations, they gave me tough love and guild lines to follow.

One-actually start exercising. For me, each break at work, I went for a walk then then slowly started more working towards more physical activities.

Two-no sugars or bad carbs.

Three-no alcohol or carbonated beverages.

(Doesn't sound to different from this program does it)

Four-no high sugar fruits. (This is key for PSOC) Beware of all sugars including natural sugars found in fruits.

I continued to work with my dr and nutritionist and 115 pounds lost, my SYMPTOMS of PSOC are minimal. Mainly, I have regular periods for the first time in my life and I'm in my 30's. I feel that once my cycle was on track so are hormonal issues are balanced too.

I'm only on day 8 but because I started slipping back into old/bad habits and gained 15 pounds... I need tough love to get back on track and this is why I'm doing whole30. This program really helps watch for processed sugars but if you have PSOC, talk to a trained nutritionist regarding good/bad foods for you. Even Dr Oz admits that a nutritionist is more important to work with regarding personal food plans than dr's.

Final note... If this tough love program works as well as it claims and you work hard to follow the steps, your body will maintain healthy levels and you'll see less symptoms of PSOC.

Best of luck and hope my story helps motivate you to give 100% to this program.

• 5 months later...

I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 days ago. She told me to fill up on a ton of supplements she gave me and also to basically follow "the Whole 30 diet" but no potatoes either. 

Anyone else doing supplements from a Naturopath. Feeling yucky and weak and hungry all the time~!

• Moderators

I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 days ago. She told me to fill up on a ton of supplements she gave me and also to basically follow "the Whole 30 diet" but no potatoes either.

Anyone else doing supplements from a Naturopath. Feeling yucky and weak and hungry all the time~!

If you're hungry, and especially if you're feeling weak, eat. Have a combination of protein, fat, and vegetables.

Even if you're not having potatoes, you can have other starchy vegetables like winter squashes, sweet potato, turnips, beets, carrots, rutabaga, parsnips. Try having at least one fist-sized serving of some sort of starchy vegetables each day, and increase that if you continue to feel weak.

Feel free to post a couple of days worth of meals, including portion sizes, and we can give you some feedback as to if you're on the right track.

Archived