WholeDave

Day 47 - it's Friday, let's celebrate! Sometimes Fridays give me such an emotional uplift - things seem a little less hard, everything is put into better perspective by the prospect of 2 days of rest and relaxation.

Yesterday was solid: stir-fry, soup, a light dinner after the staff function (olives and water!). Some fruit. A couple of semi-dried figs.

Today has been the same but different - an interesting stir-fry with smoked paprika, soup for lunch + an apple. This afternoon I'm traveling to the coast but will stock up at the markets on the way. Dinner will hopefully be a pork hock from the markets. Mmm, crackling!!

Tomorrow will be an adventure trek, a swim and Moroccan goat. Looking forward to that!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 48 - goat day! The goat has been procured, the spices are lined up ready to be infused, the harissa ingredients are begging to be put together early to give them plenty of time to work their magic.

If there's one thing I've learned on this journey it's to have fun with your food - while you can keep it simple, it doesn't have to be a drudge. I've really enjoyed scouring the intermagics looking for recipes I can turn into Whole30 powerhouse meals and then taking the time to create something I can enjoy for a few days. It will be interesting to see how that changes as Spring emerges with its fresh produce and flavours, but for the time being, the seasonal produce and meals of winter have been really enjoyable.

Yesterday I managed to track down my pork hock and wolfed into it on the way down the coast. Had another go at it last night with salad for dins. The french soup at lunch was delicious and the stir-fry in the morning was a mountain full of veggie goodness.

Today I'm in two minds whether to tackle my walk through the national park or to concentrate on doing a few must-do things around the house. My place has been heavily booked on Airbnb so I need to keep the work up to make sure everything is top-notch for guests over the next two weekends.

Regardless, I will be pulling out my wetsuit and hitting the surf at some point - the swell is meant to be rising today which means it's time to get salty!

Day 49  - big effort and food day yesterday. Chopped wood for 40 mins, walked a couple of k's up to the point and back, went for a quick, cold surf, and did plenty of chores around the house.

Made my Moroccan Goat dish - spectacular! The blend of spices and flavours was just right and the harissa cut through the sweetness. Lots of zing from from the chilli without blowing your mouth apart.

The rest of the day was chicken stir-fry, a piece of blue eye cod with salad for lunch (how good is really fresh fish!), nibbles of celery & cabbage with anchovies and some of the harissa, a couple of dates & figs. All compliant, all goodness.

Excited about my bush walk through the national park this morning - 8-9 k's (5 miles or so), looking for sea eagles and sooty oystercatchers. I'm a bit of bird geek - nothing serious :) I just like seeing what's around.

Day 50 - it was a cracking walk through the national park yesterday - saw a massive eagle, swans, oystercatchers, gannets, cormorants, finches and a little marsupial mouse jumping through the leaf litter. Just under 10 k's in cool, misty weather. Also managed a cold swim which was invigorating.

Food yesterday was a stir-fry, a small piece of steak, potato and salad after the walk, and dinner of pork, sweet potato, parsnip and asparagus. Devoured and demolished!

Today I'm feeling fantastic - tons of energy, not too sore from the walk, ready to go again! Stir-fry for breakfast, soup for lunch and I'll need to plan dinner. Ravenous though - will have a can of tuna soon.

Day 51 - big changes coming for me this weekend - I'm moving into my own apartment after the breakdown of my 15 year relationship over the past year. It's been a sad, emotional and very challenging time but I'm starting to get excited about the future. The focus I've had on my Whole program has seriously helped me through this. The fact that for the first time in my adult life I have actively taken control of what I eat and drink over an extended period has empowered me to face the future with bright eyes. A bit corny I know but true. I feel in control and able to deal with the very difficult circumstances I face.

My number one priority for Saturday when I move is how I make sure I get the food I need before, during and after. I will need to plan carefully because the last thing I want is to land into a totally new landscape without the tools that have helped me get there in the first place.

Yesterday was a tough day - a lot of work stress, tiredness from the travel back from the coast, and not quite prepared for the week food-wise. A quick stir-fry for breakfast, french soup for lunch and roast chicken for dinner. I snacked a fair bit on an apple, 2 mandarines, a banana, some dates, celery sticks and cabbage leaves. I didn't feel like I satiated my hunger at all really until after dinner. I had a headache most of the afternoon and fell into bed early, exhausted.

This morning I'm feeling much better - up early to prep for work meetings (well, actually, writing this blog post as my first and foremost priority :)). I have a work lunch on today which I've hopefully addressed by asking for no grain, no dairy. It will be another long and difficult day and I have too much to do and not enough time. I'll have to brutally prioritise which is never great fun although it always seems to work out in the end. :)

Day 52 - the work sitch at the moment is a blur - CEO coming in today for a quarterly review plus a personal performance review plus a planning session around FY16. I'm as ready as I can be but the 14 hour days are getting a little mundane. I would kill for another big walk and a few laughs.

The lunch yesterday worked out vaguely ok - in asking for no grain, a plate arrived with stir-fried rice noodles and asian greens :huh:  I picked my way through things plus had a bit of chicken. Dinner last night was a decent piece of steak and veggies. Early to bed to give me enough energy to work my way through the next few days.

At some point I will need to plan for the weekend and get my sh&t together. That will have to wait for tomorrow and Friday.

Day 53 - survived a mountainous day yesterday, flat as a tack last night. This morning feeling somewhat better but still in need of some space and time. Latest stress is trying to get the electricity connected in my new place...

Food yesterday was stir-fry, Moroccan goat and salad for lunch, and kingfish for dinner. Not bad but I don't feel like I'm making massive progress - I realise that's probably because of my work pressures and upheaval at home. Trying to avoid feeling like it's crushing me. Will just keep working tenaciously to sort things out and focus on staying on track with my Whole program. These are the kind of times I have yo-yo'd in the past so I reckon if I can get through the next few days I will be right.

Day 54 - getting close to 8 weeks and it really is feeling like "normal". I don't want sugar, I don't want grain. I could probably enjoy the occasional milk in my coffee but then again I'm not missing it. My greatest weakness is cheese and to be honest I haven't really thought about it. As for alcohol, I'm not missing that at all. In fact the longer I go without, the more insistent I'm becoming about not having any. But I know my yo-yo side can easily slip back in, so the more days under my belt the better in terms of making this a consistent, sustainable lifestyle.

Feeling much better today - less tired and more energised. Haven't got my act together yet in terms of moving tomorrow but I'll work that out. My biggest concern is my food sitch - just about out of good foods and I need to get them into my new place asap. I'm thinking of an emergency run to the markets late today before I pick up the key to the apartment so I can at least have food in the fridge when I move in tomorrow.

Food yesterday was stir-fry with the leftover kingfish (different and yum), goat and salad for lunch, and chicken and veggies for dinner. A little fruit during the day. I have one last pork hock soup from a few weeks ago today for lunch with salad and then I'm out of options.

Day 55 - moving day. Managed an emergency run to the markets during work yesterday to load up on meat & veggies which I then dropped back to my new apartment last night. An absolute relief to know that when I move in I can eat properly. Planning a minestrone which I will cook up tomorrow.

I baked a beef spare rib and some potatoes last night which were ok with salad. Lunch was my last pork hock soup followed by salad. Breakfast was chicken stir-fry including lots of parsley for something different. The soups have worked brilliantly over the last 8 weeks.

Today I will continue my packing and move my stuff over to the apartment. Then I'm meeting friends to go to the footy (what Australians call Australian Rules Football). My home town Canberra doesn't have a side in the national comp so we have 3 games/year and today is one of them. The timing could have been better but such is life.... I'll have to take some emergency provisions with me - it's not like I can drink 3 beers and eat a meat pie like I would have previously!

Day 56 - sitting in my new apartment contemplating the last 24 hours. The move itself went smoothly - I need to get further organised today but it's not complete carnage. The food situation worked beautifully - once I moved in I had things on hand to cover me off. Cooked cevapi (pork & veal sausages) last night with cabbage salad and potatoes. Lunch was some lamb before the football (where I had water and an apple).

Today I'll put together a minestrone and probably have that for dinner. Hoping to get out for a walk around the lake (5 k's) if I can manage it later in the day.

Many thanks to everyone (especially my Irish Moderator Mentor :)) for the support through the journey. I really feel like I'm changing my life permanently, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch just yet!!

Many thanks to everyone (especially my Irish Moderator Mentor :)) for the support through the journey. I really feel like I'm changing my life permanently, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch just yet!!

You're very welcome - be proud - it's all your own work!  :)

Day 57 - not only did I work like a trojan all day yesterday to get my place and life in order, but I then went out at 4pm for a 5k jaunt around the lake in freezing, windy conditions. I managed more running than walking so I was well pleased with myself. Won't be able to walk today of course but that's a "minor detail" :)

Food yesterday was a stir-fry followed at lunch by leftovers - cevapi, potatoes, salad. After my run I downed a can of tuna. During the day I cooked up a massive pot of minestrone and had a couple of bowls of that for dinner with a sprinkle of chilli flakes. Man it was good!! A little dried fruit and chamomile tea afterwards and I was ready for bed! Sleep patterns haven't been too bad over this period even though I've had significant upheaval. Averaging 7-8 hours/night which is pretty good. I'm so exhausted by 9pm every night that I'm having no trouble getting to sleep.

My water consumption has also been excellent - I'm craving it and not in any danger of being dehydrated. The only challenge is at work sometimes but I carry a mini (250ml) bottle around with me so that I'm always sipping on it during meetings etc.

Today is back to the work intensity, but I'm sorted with minestrone for lunch plus some sardines/tuna and a bit of fruit.

Day 58 - getting excited about the 2 month point at the end of this week. I'm starting to move more and managed a 30 min, 3k brisk walk after work yesterday to explore my new surroundings. Next stop will be the pool and cycling but I'm just taking it easy and making sure it's "food first". I think one of the problems I've had in the past is that I get so fired up about exercise that I go too hard, too early and then fall off the edge back into yo-yo-ville. I'm trying to change that this time to create long term, consistent exercise that doesn't get too obsessive. That's hard when I'm feeling so good as the activity increases!

Food yesterday was a stir-fry, minestrone, a can of sardines and a banana during the day. I had a couple of cevapi and olives after my walk. Last night I roasted some pumpkin with a large marrowbone and pan fried a couple of chicken thighs. I put together a simple side salad and didn't eat all the chicken.

I'm awake wayyyy too early this morning - plenty still buzzing around my head but I did get 7 hours sleep so that's ok.

Day 59 - I'm getting regular positive comments now and that is helping tremendously. I haven't weighed at all so have no idea how far I've come but that's not the point. Physically I'm fitting into clothes far better and simple things like tying my shoelaces is easier without all that gut fat. But I'm still only half way there I reckon in terms of how I feel.

Psychologically I'm coping better with stress and although I have massive complexity particularly at work I'm not getting too hung up about it. Exercise is defs helping on that front.

Last night I devoured roast pork and veggies - ate too much - that followed a relatively light day of minestrone with a can of tuna. Stir-fry for brekkie. I'm finding the rhythm of eating interesting - some days I would kill for as much protein as possible, others I wind it back because I'm feeling more on the veggie side. Same goes for when I feel like I need a larger feed of carb-dense veggies. I don't feel like I need to change anything though, I sense I'm just responding to my body's needs. The one thing I am conscious of is getting my pre and post exercise nutrition right as I increase my exercise quota.

Day 60 - celebration day - a double Whole30! Struggled yesterday with a snack attack when I got home late from work - leftover chicken, olives, celery with a scraping of shrimp paste. Reheated a minestrone soup for dinner. All compliant stuff but not waiting for my meal was uncool. On the other hand, you could argue it was part of the meal...just not as organised as I would like to be. Lunch was leftover roast pork and veggies. Brekky was a different stir-fry.

I was completely exhausted last night - I fell asleep on the lounge soon after dinner and managed to drag my sleepy arse to bed at 8:30pm. Up early this morning feeling a lot better. I was hoping to go out for a walk/run this morning but decided to give it a miss given the weather (well that's my excuse!).

Well done on making it a double!!

I get days when I could quite literally eat a horse (or more likely a cow if I'm honest), and also days when I'm just knackered. I think it's as much mental as it is physical though so you just have to run with it - or get your sleepy arse to bed as the case may be!

Day 61 - had people over to my new place last night and put together a cracking dinner of fish n chips: baked kingfish cutlets marinated in garlic, lemon juice, paprika, olive oil, chilli flakes and s&p. Potatoes chipped, par-boiled and baked in coconut oil, with a big side salad. Went down a treat! The rest of the day was very light - soup and stir-fry.

Feeling super-duper this morning, even if it is 4:45am! Today will be more talking, laughing and planning.

Days 62 & 63 - well that's a first - missed my morning W30 update yesterday. All good though.

Yesterday was bacon and eggs for breakfast - a big treat and delicious given I've found a source of compliant bacon. I organised a platter for mid afternoon - salad, salmon, prawns. Last night I went out to a fight night - boxing and Muay Thai. Impressive fitness and competitiveness. I didn't have any food and drink which was a bit of a problem but I was determined. Demolished a banana, a bit of dried fruit and a cup of chamomile when I got home late.

The day before was uneventful - went for a 5k run in under 40 mins Friday night. Soooo different to my Friday nights of old which usually involved too much alcohol and lazy (read processed/take away) food choices. The rest of Friday was light - soup and stir-fry.

Today is cooking day. I'm going to replicate my Moroccan Goat dish and then cook a Thai red chicken curry. That will give me plenty of choices for during the week.

...well that's a first - missed my morning W30 update yesterday. All good though....

I think that's a pretty good indicator that it's second nature to you now... Those who get comfortable with the template, and who've learned how to read their body signlas find less of a need to log. Well, either that or you're bored with it!  ;)  :P 

That's another NSV right there - great progress!

Day 64 - knocked out my Moroccan Goat casserole and chicken curry yesterday and had the chicken for dinner last night. Lunch was the first fast food on my journey - we have this healthy Mexican franchise called Zambrero and I chose everything from the template. It was delicious and great to have a few different flavours. Breakfast was a spicy, Asian stir-fry.

I'm now consistently achieving my 500 calorie active goal on my Apple Watch which is such a change from even a few weeks ago. I didn't actually exercise yesterday but all the bouncing around I did meant I hit 800 calories.

I'm packing my swimming bag for the first time today - hoping to get into the pool after work to push out some laps. I'm a bit of a cheat, using flippers and hand paddles, but I find that gives me the momentum to churn through the laps in a very zen way. Nothing hard and harsh, but smooth and consistent. Suits my preference for building my endurance motor.

Day 65 - my new pair of Asics Gel Nimbus trainers arrived yesterday so instead of swimming I swung out for a quick 30 min walk after work. Food yesterday was light - pan-fried whiting (a delicious white flesh fish), potato, carrots & zucchini for dinner. Lunch was my Moroccan goat with a side salad, and a stir-fry for breakfast.

I'm travelling to Melbourne today for work so I've stocked up on sardines and some fruit to take with me. I'm concerned that I'll struggle around lunch - my work may or may not be putting on lunch and if they do it will probably be a bunch of rolls and sandwiches. I'll have to slip out to get something else or deconstruct my sandwiches, not something I enjoy doing in front of people. It will be a long day - 6:15am flight out and 7:30pm flight back.

Day 66 - travel yesterday was a loooong day - up at 4am, to bed at 10pm. The food sitch was ok - stir-fry at stupid o'clock, nothing on the plane, banana during the morning, some chicken salad thing at lunch (had to scour the laneways of Melbourne for that), apple, a salad in the Qantas lounge last night with a can of sardines whipped out of my bag. Felt kinda weird cracking your own sardines in the middle of the bar area lol :)

Early start again this morning - I'm heading out for "drinks" after work - wondering if I'm going to crash and burn about 4pm! Feeling peckish now so it's straight into the stir-fry with fresh black coffee.

Archived