WholeDave

Day 84 & 85 - a little out of whack with my updates. Yesterday I came back from the coast early after a breakfast of sausages, bacon, eggs and mushrooms on the barbie. Went to the pool in the afternoon and did 24 laps. Followed that up with some leftover roast pumpkin, salmon and salad. Last night was a feast with baked chicken (marinated with olive oil, fresh thyme, lots of garlic, s&p), baby carrots, baked bok choy (how good is that!!), roast potatoes, parsnip and eshallots (little onions) with some fresh tomatoes and shallots on the side. Wow oh wow!

There's been a massive debate in Australia over the past two weeks on a TV show called Sunday Night as one of our most famous journalists, Mike Willesee, took a 10 week paleo challenge from Pete Evans, the host of our highest rating TV show and a paleo chef. Mike Willesee, as a skeptical investigative journalist, discovered that he felt and looked so much better, with blood results to match. He is continuing with his paleo journey.

Talk about vitriol from the ignorant! The twitterverse went mad and I weighed into the debate (@davidmmathews) and got into a stoush with the Dietician's Association of Australia who are part funded by large food companies such as Nestle. In the face of an absolute conflict of interest, the conversation was completely illogical, proving they are completely out of touch with research, and clearly conflicted by the significant support they receive.

As my own journey continues, I want others to know the significant health and wellbeing benefits of a Whole30 lifestyle. I'm cautious about speaking out too soon, but after 12 weeks, I think I have some evidence that warrants sharing.

I've boycotted Nestle and all of their subsidiaries (well, at least the ones of which I am aware for there are many!) for almost 14yrs due to their lack of ethics... Their Global Marketing tactics are nothing short of criminal.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 86 - so close to my original goal of a Whole90 (or Whole92 to cover all of Winter). I'm proud of how far I've come and determined to keep focused on the journey.

Yesterday was a delicious breakfast stir fry, then leftover roast chicken and salad, a bit of a frenzy in the afternoon with lettuce and anchovies?! and finally a pork fillet stir fry with lots of Asian flavours. I was going to go out for a run but it started raining hard so I figured a rest day would not hurt after the weekend's full exercise agenda.

I only have a week and a half before my 10k fun run so I need to get another big one in soon to be as ready as I can be.

Day 87 - went out last night for a celebration dinner - booked a Mediterranean place with lots of fresh food, grass fed meat etc. Spectacular. Lunch was a raging tuna salad (the raging bit was a couple of spoonfuls of home made harissa wooo!) and I had breakfast at a local place - a paleo green plate with egg and bacon.

Today is a bit crazy - three meetings with my CEO and I'm not ready for them. Nothing surprising in that! :)

Day 88 - I keep dropping weight and picking up positive comments. Last night my daughter said I look "amazing" which was nice. I'm still not there yet, both in terms of target body health (still have plenty of fat around my torso), and making this a life long journey. I want to be at a point where if I were to offroad, it would be a complete aberration and I wouldn't even think twice about moving straight back to my clean living. My biggest issue here is still alcohol - not that I'm a raging alcoholic but that I could still get stuck into a bottle of wine with gusto. That particular craving has definitely receded a great deal even over the last month however I reckon another 3 months will go a long way to getting rid of it all together. I'm definitely now aiming for a Whole180 (or in reality Whole 183 to take me through all of winter and spring).

Yesterday was good again even though the day was messy - roast chicken and veggies last night with my daughter which went down a treat, lunch was a Vietnamese Pho (rare beef soup) without noodles (the waitress did a double take with her mouth open: "Without noodles?!?!"), and a plate of eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms & piperki (long yellow peppers) for breakfast.

Today will be a little calmer - I'm hoping to get some exercise in at some point.

Day 89 - smooth sailing food-wise yesterday. Spinach/kale frittata for breakfast, sardines & salad for lunch, and stuffed capsicums (peppers) for dinner which were delicious. Plus a treat - a few dried figs - my favourite and something I haven't been eating for a while because, like with nuts, I'm a guts!

No exercise yesterday (again), but tonight I start something new - a group boxing class. I've done some pad work in the past but not an actual class. I'll see if I like it then maybe make it a regular Friday night thing. Sure beats (pardon the pun) a bottle of wine, a chunk of cheese and half a box of crackers which used to be my normal Friday night fare.

Day 90 - celebration day!! 90 days of the Whole30 program. Never felt better.

Energy levels on a scale of 10 have gone from 3 to 9, inflammation from 8 to 1, mental health from 3 to 9, stress levels down from 8 to 2, digestive system up from 4 to 9, general fitness level up from 2 to 7.

Significant weight reduction. Clothes fit. I'm lighter, happier, more content, a nicer person to be around. What else can I ask for!!

People, this works. Forget all the media nonsense about lack of scientific studies. This ACTUALLY works. And it's not hard. The biggest challenge is actually wanting to change, having the courage to say "f%$k this, I want a better life".

As my tagline says: "Keep it simple (i.e. don't over complicate things with recipes that either try to create tastes you miss, or take too much time), keep it whole (don't buy processed food, period), and keep it sustainable (don't make it so hard that you can't wait to stop - it's about the journey, not the end).

Day 91 - out last night at a party with pizza and champagne. None of either for me. I cooked dinner before I went - pork & veal mince, onion, garlic, mushrooms, piperki, Harissa, zucchini a and a potato. Did the trick. Chicken and salad for lunch, stir fry for breakfast. Will get a run and market shopping in today.

Day 92 - last day of Winter and the half way point of my Whole183 journey. I've come so far but still have a fair way to go. If I could ever figure how to post pics I would share my body progress (and I'm a geek so I should be able to work it out!)

I'm still not progressing with exercise as much as I would like. I desperately need a run and will try again to get out tonight. Next Sunday is my 10k'er.

Food yesterday was great - out for breakfast - green plate with eggs (kale, seeds, avocado etc), Macedonian Graf, chicken and salad for lunch (bit of offroading with the beans but no ill effects), and baked flathead wrapped in slivers of prosciutto with roast pumpkin and bok choy for dinner. Had a bit of a pig out on dried figs afterwards.

Day 93 - 3 months complete!! Celebrated with an 8.3k run ahead of my 10k fun run this Sunday. I know I can do it now which is an awesome feeling. Pretty sore this morning - knee, heel etc but nothing a swim won't fix today - wash out the lactic acid.

Yesterday it was stir-fry for breakfast, salad and tuna for lunch, and then steak, roast sweet potato & kale, and broccoli for dinner. The sweet potato and kale is a great combo - the softness of the potato with the crispiness of the kale. Yumbo!!

First day of Spring here in Australia. The wattle is out. The blossoms are out. Time to jump on my bike and get attacked by magpies lol.

Day 94 - churned out 30 laps in the pool yesterday to follow my 8k run the day before - now I'm sore all over rather than just my legs :) but it did clear out a lot of the lactic acid so I'm feeling pretty good this morning. My heel is still bothering me so I took a couple of anti-inflammatory tablets - did the trick. Obviously I have something wrong but I'll wait until after the fun run this Sunday to get it checked out again. It doesn't hurt to run but it does to walk. Weird.

Meanwhile, I ate a small horse yesterday - stir fry for brekkie, leftover stuffed capsicum plus salad for lunch, a tin of sardines, Paleo Southwestern Grilled Chicken + corn + roast potatoes + roast boy choy + homemade guacamole for dinner...a few semi dried figs...I'm ready to eat a small goat this morning! :)

Day 95 - pretty basic day with food - stir fry, bone broth, leftover mince and salad, an apple, a banana, and out last night with my daughter. We found a new burger place up the road from my apartment which was terrific. I had a deconstructed burger with the lot without cheese. Left two perfectly formed halves to a bun and a pile of chips sitting on my plate. Work of postmodern art lol.

Today I have a full-on day so no exercise. Itching to get to Sunday for my 10k run.

Day 96 - ah the relentlessness of writing my daily log. Provides continuity that's for sure...

Stir-fry for brekkie, leftover mince + salad for lunch, a mini meal about 5pm of sardines, olives, harissa, cabbage (huh? sure! :)) then some nibbles out with people and a beef dish afterwards. Vaguely on template. Very keen to have a home cooked meal tonight!

Day 97 - getting close to the magic 100 mark. Yesterday felt messy - stir fry, sardines + salad, mezze plate, then local sausages, potato and roasted kale. Have a bit of running around to do today and then tomorrow is the fun run. Very excited!

Day 98 - race day!! Didn't think I would be here 3 months ago! Canberra's annual 10k fun run with a few thousand participants. I've walked it once and ran it once about 20 years ago. I'm aiming for 1 hour 15 mins but the time doesn't matter - I just want to run it end to end.

Yesterday was breakfast out (raw cauliflower tabbouleh with poached egg and home made babaganoush at a whole food place), a light lunch - salmon + salad, and dinner was a pork fiesta on the bbq with potatoes, piperkis and salad. This morning I'll stick with a veggie stir fry and a little bit of chicken before my run.

Day 99 - feeling a bit sore this morning but nothing too dramatic. Had an excellent smoked ribs soup last night after a Father's Day lunch of steak and calamari. Straight after the race I downed some potato and chicken strips which felt like it went straight to my muscles. Before the race was a standard stir-fry with loads of veggies. I'm determined to increase my veggies proportion this week - feel like I've been having too much meat lately.

I'm theoretically going to a boxing class after work - not convinced I'm up for that kind of carry-on but we'll see.

Day 100 - ah the magic three figures! What a journey! My running and swimming has had an amplification effect over the past two months but for the first month I did no exercise at all. It all starts with food! Never a truer word was written!

Yesterday for breakfast I cooked up some local nitrate free bacon with eggs, piperkis (long yellow peppers) and bok choy. Sounds like a crazy combo but it was absolutely delicious. Lunch was a salad with leftover pork and last night I baked a couple of trout wrapped with prosciutto and stuffed with slices of fresh lemon. The side dish was baked kale, sliced almonds and garlic. What a feast!

Today I'm off to Melbourne for work for the day. I've packed my requisite emergency can of sardines together with some fruit and beef jerky.

Day 101 - very light food day yesterday - veggie stir-fry, then a small green salad in Melbourne, and finally a bowl of smoked pork rib soup when I got home. Feeling a bit peckish this morning!

Busting for a run - hopefully will fit one in this arvo.

Day 102 - I put in a 5.6k run yesterday afternoon, somehow injured my right calf, probably not quite recovered from Sunday's 10ker... Typical - felt a twinge about 3 k's in, thought it was cramping, pushed through it, finished. Limping around like an old dude last night but with an anti-inflam tablet after dinner I'm not feeling too bad this morning.

Crazy veggie stir-fry, salad + sardines then out for dinner with friends last night for smoked lamb and ceviche of scallops. All goodness! Had an exploded egg in the microwave for pre-workout meal (it's not a recipe, I just exploded the egg lol).

Today I want a plate of green awesomeness for breakfast (kale, broad beans, semi-sun dried tomato pesto, egg) at my favourite breakfast hangout so I'm heading out soon.

Day 103 - veggie heaven yesterday - green nourish bowl from my fave breakfast place, big salad + sardines for lunch (including a couple of spoonfuls of home made harissa), chicken + veggie stir fry for dinner. So much goodness! My plan to cut back on my meat intake has gone really well this week.

Today I'm heading down the coast after work - sea space sun. Bring it.

Also a bit excited - booked Rome accommodation for 27 Dec for 6 nights last night.

Archived