WholeDave

Day 125-128 - I need a bit more time than I have right now to describe the last few days. Suffice to say, it involved a 4.2k run around the city park in KL, getting sick with the very last street food meal I ate, flying back to Oz in a delirium, managing to not spew on the plane, spending a few hours in a cool suburb of Sydney called Newtown (where I lived many moons ago) before checking in to a great little place, sleeping for 14 hours, walking, shopping and hanging through Sunday, going to the Rugby League Grand Final Sunday night which turned out to be probably the greatest GF ever (go the Cowboys!), driving back to Canberra yesterday, eating a lovely home cooked meal last night, and back to work this morning.

I'm still a bit crook in the tummy, and I haven't caught up on what's happening at work meaning today will be difficult. But, that was one of the best, if not THE best, holiday I've ever had. Short, sweet, and it certainly wet my tastebuds for more adventures!

Foodwise, I'm so happy with myself - pretty much on template the whole time, the occasional bit of bean curd here and there, no sugar, no grain, no dairy, no alcohol. Something close to 50-60 k's walking, a bit under 150 laps of a decent sized pool, and the one crazy run at 30C and 85% humidity. Job done! :)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 129 - slowly getting back on the work horse but it's been a struggle. After a great stir fry for breakfast yesterday, there were leftovers from the night before for lunch, and a steak & salad for dinner. But I've still got the itch for more veggies so today it was a green bowl for brekkie (kale, cauliflower, an egg, sun-dried tomato pesto, seeds) and now I'm hooking into another salad with tuna and a chunk of sweet potato which I discovered I can buy freshly baked from the local supermarket near my work). That's the ticket!! Just what I needed.

I'm hoping to get out for a run tonight and will follow up with a home cooked dinner - not sure yet but I'm thinking Mexican of some kind.

Day 130 - struggling with tiredness. Went to bed super early, hopefully that will help today. Cooked a Mexican feast last night - stuffed roast sweet potato, mince, guac, dried peppers reconstituted and cooked in a tomato sauce. Gives me lunch today. Was thinking about a run last night but there was no way that was happening. Will try again tonight. Tummy is pretty much 100% thanks J :)

Day 131 - finally starting to overcome my lethargy and went out for a 7k run last night. Not quick (well, by my standards :D ) but a solid run. Feeling much better for it this morning. Also starting to eat some great home cooked food - last night was a pork stir fry, lunch was leftovers from the Mexican feast the night before, and brekkie was a veggie stir fry. I think three meals of sweet potato in a row did the trick too - put some energy in the veins.

I'm hoping to swim laps after work today - a far cry from Friday nights in the past where I would drink all night and eat cheese & crackers. Seems like a lifetime ago that I was doing that and not something I ever want to go back to.

Days 132-133 - the swim after work was excellent, 20 laps without flippers or hand fins. Winding the clock back 20 years! :P

Yesterday it was bacon & eggs for brekkie, and then market shopping and a 5k run around the lake. I was going to try to double up and do 10k's but it got too warm for that kind of behaviour. Lunch was a prawn & smoked salmon salad, and dinner was a whole kingfish baked with lemon, parsley, olive oil, s&p and home made harissa. Add to that baked sweet potato and a simple salad of Spanish onion & tomato with olive oil. Magnificent!! :)

Today is one of Australia's national days - the Bathurst 1000 V8 motor race. Normally that would involve piles of unhealthy food and beers. But today will be a lunch of delicious leftovers (the kingfish for a start...) and salad. Hoping to get a bit of exercise in before it starts but we'll see how we go.

Day 134 - really relaxing day yesterday. Went out for a 8.3k run during the day - that  makes it over 20k's over the past 4 days with a swim in the middle. Maybe another swim this afternoon and then it's a rest day for sure.

Great mix of food for lunch after my run, I then roasted a chicken last night. The only downside is that I've been getting stuck into the nuts too much - I can never stop at a handful. Time to turn that little caper off for a while.

Day 135 - turned out to be a rest day yesterday which is probably just as well - needed the break. Food wise it was a stir fry, salad with leftovers for lunch, and a steak on the bbq together with various salads for dinner. Demolished too many nuts (again). Will see if I can squeeze a swim in after work.

Day 136 - feeling like I've plateaued again - it's the nuts for sure. NO MORE! NUTS ARE EVIL! :) Not really but you know what I mean. I just can't buy them often or in large packets. Anyways they're gone now. Back to my other awesome late afternoon snack - celery sticks with home made harissa - how freakin easy is harissa - 12 chillies, a big clove of garlic, whiz until smooth, add a splash and a bit of red wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil, juice of half a lemon, s&p. BANG! I usually take out the seeds or at least half of them as I don't want it to be overwhelmingly hot, just hot :)

Yesterday was a plate of eggs and veggies for brekkie, leftover roast chicken breast + salad for lunch, apple, banana, and a very basic pork tenderloin stir fry for dinner. Plus the end of the nuts. Plus celery + harissa.

No exercise for the 2nd day - I can sense this will be a low exercise week as I have stuff on after work tonight and then I've got all the company head honchos in town tomorrow & Friday for a 2 day work extravaganza which includes a dinner tomorrow night.

Down the coast this weekend for the first time in over a month. Really looking forward to my sun, bush, air & sea.

Day 137 - working far more hours than are healthy at the moment - no exercise, and not particularly organised. Breakfast was a great veggie and egg stir-fry, lunch was leftover steak + salad, dinner was lamb shanks which are a bit out of season (i.e. sitting outside in a warm night eating shanks) but by the time I finished working I had limited choices. Apple, banana, no nuts!!

Today is lunch out, dinner out, function in between. Tomorrow is lunch out. Certainly not glamorous when the work heat is on. Tomorrow is also COAST, not that I'm shouting! (Yes I am, woohooooo!) :)

Day 138 - what day is it?? :) Dinner was good, unpicked a duck pancake, moved a pile of rice to one side, ate a scallop, refused half a glass of bubbly, had to explain myself to the CEO (sigh).... Lunch was weirder - rare roast beef, unpicked a mini-burger, refused a chip, had a bean, ate half a stick of asparagus. Breakfast was strange too with very little food in the house - a pork & veal mince stir fry :wacko: quite tasty but not the usual veggiearama.....

Today will be a green plate out for breakfast, no idea for lunch and COOAAAASSSTTT.

Not that I'm focused or nothin :)

Day 139-140 - Having a lovely weekend - resting, peaceful, big fat sleeps. Went for a swim yesterday which I will do again today even though it's a bit cool.

Friday was crazy - didn't have time to get breakfast so had a smoothie with coconut water, greens etc. Lunch was a bit of salad and I finally had a good feed late once I got to the coast - roast pork, potatoes, salad.

Yesterday was a complete contrast - calm, lazing around most of the day. Breakfast was bacon, eggs, mushrooms, asparagus and tomatoes on the bbq. Lunch was firstly a platter of prawns, salad bits, olives, semi-sun-dried tomatoes followed a bit later by bbq pork ribs crispy & delicious. Dinner was a bit of fruit. No carby veggies but that's ok. I'm feeling clean and hungry this morning which is a great feeling.

Today will involve a run or tennis and a swim or all three, a bit of organising then back to Canberra for another week of intensity.

Day 141 - went out for a 7k run yesterday. What I didn't think about was the tide was coming in and so the 2k's along the beach in the middle of the run was in soft sand. That's the powdery white stuff and the sand that has had waves wash over it once or twice so it's like quick sand. I grinded my way through but my back felt a bit sore. When I got home my back was twinging big time and has been sore ever since. Think I've bulged my disc (again). So now I'm doing McKenzie push-ups and taking anti-inflammatory meds to reduce the pain and swelling. Annoying!! Aside from that it was the best run I've had - i.e. I really stretched out running and it included a couple of sharp hills.

Food yesterday was eggs, bacon & veggies for breakfast, fish skewers with capsicum, pineapple, spanish onion, mushroom and cherry tomatoes on a bed of kale for lunch, and chicken+salad+microwaved potato for dinner. The skewers were sensational -  colour, texture, flavour - had the lot.

Day 142 - my back is healing well with a mix of exercises and anti-inflams. I resisted the temptation to go swimming last night - need to be patient! I don't know if it's my imagination, but I'm sure it's healing quicker than in times past - obviously less body weight will help, but I also feel like my body is responding better. I felt the same thing when I was hit with the stomach bug in KL - my immune system seems to be in such tip-top condition that it attacks and disposes of issues far quicker than before. Obviously it's a different thing with a bulging disc but my rate of repair certainly feels quicker.

Yesterday was a delicious veggie stir fry for breakfast, chicken+salad for lunch, an apple & banana, some blueberries, and a roasted whole sweet potato with a mexican mince, tomato salsa & cucumber for dinner. Demolished the whole sweet potato which I clearly needed.

Don't neglect your core when trying to get your back to heal. The McKenzie push ups work well for the back, but you need to strengthen the corresponding muscles of the core so as to prevent a repeat incident. Try incorportaing the table top pilates move in the video below which is harder than it looks (make sure to keep the base of your spine imprinted tight against the floor throughout & your core tight) and will do the trick....

I'm just getting back to the gym myself after a prolapsed disc so I feel (or at least have felt...) your pain!!

Day 143 - the back is healing still - trying to stand up as much as possible and not get stuck in a chair for long periods. No exercise yet - will still be a day or two.

Breakfast was a stir-fry, lunch leftovers from the mexican sweet potato & mince, and dinner some lamb cutlets which were uninspiring. Feeling the need for another feed of leaf veggies.

Day 145 - a stir-fry, a salmon salad, and pork & various veggies were on the agenda yesterday. Somehow I got stuck into some jerky and a packet of sultanas which didn't do my tummy any good. Busting for fresh air and exercise which I intend to get on the weekend.

The next two weeks are full of travel - 3 days at a conference on the Gold Coast and then 3 days at a conference in Lorne. Full of customer sessions, eating & drinking etc. Pass the mineral water!!

Day 146 - something's not right with my tummy this morning. It was bit of a crazy day yesterday - green plate for breakfast, a degustation for a birthday lunch (not convinced I managed everything on-plan), and then a few nibbles before drinks out with charcuterie plates where I had a couple of bites of meat & olives....

Off to the markets this morning to stock up on healthy fresh produce.

Oh, and in the non-weight-scale section of defining success, I tried on my old blue suit jacket last night to go over my t-shirt - this is the one that I couldn't possibly do up 5 months ago, the last jacket that too had become uncomfortably tight...... I wrapped it around like a double-breasted coat and promptly took it off because it was far too big.

WIN!!! :)

Archived