Pickling/Preserving Zucchini

Hello all,

Sping is her and my husband and I are finding ourselves with way too many zucchini's to possibly eat (and they've barely started growing!!). I am looking for a way to preserver/pickle/ferment them. Preferably with a recipe that does not require them to be stored in the fridge (at the rate we're growing zucchini our fridge will be filled by the end of next week!!). I have found a few recipes but many of them call for honey (which I guess even for pickling would be a NO- if honey is ok for pickling in small amounts please let me know). Others call for whey which would be a No as well. Many other recipes call for storage in the fridge after a few days. 

Again I am fine with recipes for pickling, preserving or even fermenting.

Thank you in advance for any recipe ideas :-) 

• Administrators

The ones where you see sugar in the recipe are usually preserved in vinegar rather than truly turned into pickles.  

You can do lacto-fermentation which doesn't require any sugar and is a natural process of turning a veggie sour and preserving it at the same time.  There are tonnes of recipes online...some call for whey starter which would not be whole30 compliant but is not actually necessary. Whey speeds the process a bit but there is enough bacteria on the surface of the veggies that you should be able to do it without.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/grated-zucchini-kraut-recipe

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/lacto-fermented-dilled-zucchini-relish-recipe

I've done sauerkraut with cabbage, carrots, zucchini and dill and turned it into a "dill pickle kraut".

• Moderators

No, honey is not allowed even in pickling on Whole30 -- however, you could always do them now and have them after your W30. Same with the whey, although I've heard that you can almost always skip the whey in fermented foods and just do it with salt. I've done onions that way, and cabbage for kraut, but I've never tried to do anything with zucchini. Read up on Wild Fermentation for more on that -- there's a book by that name by Sandor Katz, but you can also find a lot of information online. 

Again, I've never tried to ferment zucchini, but here's a recipe that might work for you, or this article has links to a couple of others. or this curried squash ferment might be good.

Also, it's not fermented, but this Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup is good -- you could make some and freeze for winter, if you have room in the freezer. Since it's blended, I don't think you'll have the texture issues that freezing sliced zucchini can cause.

I would second the suggestion of a few batches of zucchini soup. You can even play with the spices for variety. Instead of ginger you might like chili powder or garlic and herb or any other combination that gets you excited.

I'm curious about zucchini pickles. I don't usually eat pickles which I blame on not being crazy about cucumber. But I love zucchini!

Archived