What is your favorite brand of coconut milk?

Dr. Goerg's for general delicious creaminess (plus it's organic) and Aroy-D for the best combination of nice taste and convenient packaging (comes in a tetrapack instead of a can and is super homogeneous - great to keep in the office fridge e.g. for coffee).

I don't have a favorite yet, but I picked up some by Taste Nirvana today at Natural Grocers... Only ingredient is coconut water, or you have the option of pulp as well

What I do know is I won't be trying any owned by Coke / Pepsi...

• Moderators

I don't have a favorite yet, but I picked up some by Taste Nirvana today at Natural Grocers... Only ingredient is coconut water, or you have the option of pulp as well

What I do know is I won't be trying any owned by Coke / Pepsi...

I think what you're talking about is coconut water, a totally different thing than coconut milk.

Coconut milk is creamy, and people use it in coffee or in recipes as a milk substitute, or in curries. Coconut water is, well, water-like, and is usually something you'd drink straight, as an occasional treat or if you needed to rehydrate after strenuous exercise or illness.

Pre Whole 30 I always cooked with Thai Kitchen, which is one of the recommended brands of Whole30. I'm just about to start Whole30 on Thursday and have been checking ingredients on all my pantry items - I noticed that Thai Kitchen contains Guar Gum which is a polysaccharide compound containing galactose which is on the Sneaky Sugars list to be avoided, any advice on whether this truly is ok to use?

• Moderators

Pre Whole 30 I always cooked with Thai Kitchen, which is one of the recommended brands of Whole30. I'm just about to start Whole30 on Thursday and have been checking ingredients on all my pantry items - I noticed that Thai Kitchen contains Guar Gum which is a polysaccharide compound containing galactose which is on the Sneaky Sugars list to be avoided, any advice on whether this truly is ok to use?

Guar gum is okay -- it's mentioned on the Common Additives Cheat Sheet as acceptable.

• Moderators

I don't like the taste of coconut. Is there a brand that doesn't have a strong coconut flavor

You'd just have to try different ones to see. I think Aroy-D is a stronger flavor than Thai Kitchen, so avoid Aroy-D, but I'm not sure that means Thai Kitchen would be a weak enough flavor not to bother you.

What were you wanting to use it for, maybe we can steer you to some alternatives. For instance, you might prefer to make cashew milk or other nut milk if you're just using a bit in your coffee sometimes. I'm not sure how those cook up, so I don't know if they'd be an acceptable substitute in curry recipes, but they might work. This page has some basic how-to information for making your own nut milks. Some sites have recipes that include off-plan flavorings, like vanilla extract or sweeteners, so obviously, leave those out.

I'm a fan of Golden Star, too.  Simple ingredient list, available everywhere, good taste.  Thai Kitchen is second on my list.  Don't get the Goya brand -- it contains potassium metabisulfite

ThyPeace, gave that can to the food pantry.  Along with lots of cans of soup with dairy in them.

Archived