Eating too many nuts

Anyone got any tips on not eating too many nuts? Its the texture that I like - as I activate mine and store them in the freezer. I find myself putting my hand in the container - before and after meals. I am wondering if I am consuming too many nuts... Is there a rule of thumb? I.e 10 cashews would be a good snack?? I know we are not meant to snack and I am good until the afternoon when I have the urge to eat something crunchy and salty - I guess my sugar dragon is my salty dragon... and I know I am not always hungry when I do it... any tips. I am on Day 8 - I havent cheated that I know of (just maybe eat a few too many snacks and nuts!) 

Day 8 here too

I also have a salt dragon

As I've learned from member MeadowLily

Nuts should be included only as decorations on a salad etc eaten with meals if at all even tho they've been deemed compliant They can become FWOB for some Same with dried fruits and trail mixes etc

No snacks in between so if you are eating the template with enough fat you should be satisfied

Stay hydrated too 1/2 oz water per lb of body weight daily I add lemon it helps with bloat

You'll be fine

• Moderators

(I've moved this discussion to the Food, Drinks, and Condiments section of the forum, rather than the Forum Feedback section, just because it seems to fit better here.)

My tip would be, make sure you're eating plenty of food at your meals -- that makes it so much easier to know that you're not really hungry and don't need food between meals, which makes it easier to not snack. If you're going to have nuts, definitely make them part of your meal -- up to one closed handful as a fat serving. If you're going to eat between meals, eat a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables -- but only if you're truly hungry.

Nuts are really not a great thing to be eating all the time. Their ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is really not great, they cause digestive issues for many people, and, as you've found, they can be a food with no brakes -- a thing that you can easily overeat. If you find you can't stop yourself from getting them out of the freezer, you might consider keeping them out of your house completely for a few weeks, until you've broken that habit. You could do a Whole30 without ever eating them and be fine, so you won't be missing anything that you really need.

I guess my sugar dragon is my salty dragon

Cashews have the highest carb content of almost ALL nuts, too.   So they are perfectly capable of feeding the sugar dragon.  I struggled with this years ago, and I see way too many people here who struggle with it, also.  They really don't have any great health benefits...   So in my experience, it is best for them to be removed completely if they are even ~remotely~ a food without brakes for you, and/or something you eat when you're not truly hungry.

After my first go around with the Whole 30 and my disastrous relationship with a can of Mac nuts-- At least, it was over in a DAY, nuts were banished from my island. Nut butter doesn't have the same draw, and my jars of almond butter, tahini and sunflower butter sit in the fridge twiddling their thumbs waiting for me to come by. I guess it is the lack of crunch that nut butter has. I use them in recipes or the occasional stuffed celery for my fat WITH a meal. 

Thank you everyone. I am going to ban myself from nuts. The only ones I will be eating is my 4 macadamia nuts that I eat as my PWO meal as its 5.45am and its all that I can stomach. I am going to move to carrot sticks at my 4pm if I am hungry. I am trying to stop the snacking at 3-4pm - but I have such a appetite as I am extremely active. In other news my period came back today after a 6 month disappearing act - so the whole30 is definitely working its miracles! 

If you are hungry in the afternoon--like steamed fish and broccoli sound like ambrosia, have a mini meal--some protein, veggies and fat. Add a hard boiled egg or two, or a chicken leg, thigh, some other meat, fish, some other veg and a compliant dip or other fat to your carrots. If you are truly hungry, than EAT. You say you are active, make sure you have your post work out meal (lean meat and a carby veg-baked sweet potato, carrots, winter squash--just cooked without a fat OR an added fat) . Or, barring that, increase the size of your meals to stave off hunger--we don't want you to be hungry. 

Guest Andria

Thank you everyone. I am going to ban myself from nuts. The only ones I will be eating is my 4 macadamia nuts that I eat as my PWO meal as its 5.45am and its all that I can stomach. I am going to move to carrot sticks at my 4pm if I am hungry. I am trying to stop the snacking at 3-4pm - but I have such a appetite as I am extremely active. In other news my period came back today after a 6 month disappearing act - so the whole30 is definitely working its miracles! 

If you want, you can post a few days worth of meals/activity/water intake over in the Troubleshooting forum, if you feel like you can not get your afternoon hunger under control.  We may find that you are not eating enough food overall.

As SpinSpin already said, make sure you are getting in at least a post workout meal of lean protein and starchy carbs and if you are particularly active, you may need to add a more substantial pre workout meal - try a hard boiled egg instead of a measly 4 macadamia nuts.  What time are you eating breakfast?  I assume it is more than 1 hr after waking, since you are going to workout first thing?  If so, you really need to get in more food in that first hour.  For example: Wake, eat pre wo meal, workout, post wo meal within 15min workout, then meal 1.  Eating more food earlier in the day will benefit you more than adding to meals later in the day.

It sounds like you really are hungry (litmus test: steamed fish and broccoli sounds great to you) around the 3-4 o'clock hour, so, please eat a mini-meal of protein/veg/fat in the meantime, until you can get you meals adjusted.  If it is more psychological, try distractions like a cup of tea, reading or going for a walk.  I find my mind wants a snack consistently every day between 3-5pm, but my stomach is truly not hungry.

If you are hungry in the afternoon--like steamed fish and broccoli sound like ambrosia, have a mini meal--some protein, veggies and fat. Add a hard boiled egg or two, or a chicken leg, thigh, some other meat, fish, some other veg and a compliant dip or other fat to your carrots. If you are truly hungry, than EAT. You say you are active, make sure you have your post work out meal (lean meat and a carby veg-baked sweet potato, carrots, winter squash--just cooked without a fat OR an added fat) . Or, barring that, increase the size of your meals to stave off hunger--we don't want you to be hungry. 

I'm totally jumping in on this!  I have been eating a lean protein and usually some baked sweet potato spheres after my workouts... I have been brushing a little bit of coconut oil on the spheres before I bake them to prevent sticking. Is this a no no?? I try and use as little as possible because I know you are not supposed to have fat after the workout but now I feel like I may have hindered myself over the past 30 days. 

Thanks!!

Ok thanks for everyones advice. So a ideal PWO meal would be a boiled egg. I eat this within 10 minutes of waking and within 15 minutes of exercise. I get up 30 minutes before my workouts. Then my Post work out meal would be baked sweet potato (which I am having) with pork baked meat loaf and 2 more eggs  with spinach. I had previously been cooking this with ghee which I shall now remove - I use this more as breakfast as its now 7.30am and I need to get to work. This bit confuses me the most as I know you are meant to have 3 meals plus 2 mini meals before and after training but its the timing of it all which proves difficult. Would i be better eatting the boiled egg at 5.45am - working out, then jumping in the car and eating a piece of chicken.. then showering then eating meal 1... I guess I am worried as my post workout meal and meal 1 would be within 30 minutes of eachother?? is that ok??

I didn't eat any nuts yesterday and have decided they are a no brakes food for me so I wont eat them anymore. I am going to try and skip the snack today and stick to my herbal tea. I know I am not always starving at 3pm and its more from boredom and the desire to crunch down on something!

You want to have a sweet potato or something like it (think root veggie) and lean meat, like tuna or egg whites, not whole eggs or some skinless chicken breast. You don't want to have fat in your post work out meal-- you want the carb and protein to be available for muscles repair and fat slows down your digestion. Save the whole eggs and fats to have with your breakfast. Eat your post workout meal within 20 minutes or so (preferably less) and then your breakfast after that. You need those extra meals if you are working out hard. Could you take your breakfast to work and eat there? 

Also, your post workout meal need not be a huge meal either. like 1/2 a sweet potato and some lean protein.  

Thanks Spinspin. Tomorrow I will have 1 whole egg before training then after training I will have 1 boiled egg white with some sweet potato. Then I will eat my breakfast. Is my breakfast ok with 2 whole eggs, spinach, pork slowcooked meat loaf (fried in ghee), basil and sweet potato? Or since I had sweet potato with my post workout meal should I skip it? I think i just need these final tweaks to my morning routine and I will be sorted and on the right track! 

Depending on how much sweet potato you have post workout you can see how much you want at breakfast. But your breakfast sounds good--or maybe sub the sweet potato with breakfast with a different root veg, for variety's sake? Make sure you have PLENTY of spinach, especially if you cook it down because it will cook to nothing. I would also add your extra egg yolk ( from your white post workout to your breakfast. But sounding good! Anxious to see how it all works out for you!

Thanks Spinspin. I will report back later... its 3.30pm here and after loading up on EXTRA veggies at lunch - I don't feel hungry or tempted to have a snack. I am busy reading blogs on here to keep my mind preoccupied... but hopefully eating more at each meal and starting doing the correct pre and post work out meals will solve my need to snack! thank you so much for your support. 

• 3 months later...

Archived