Starting June15th

LanaJ

Day 12 - supposedly the hardest days are behind us. It was a little easier to get out of bed this morning! No tiger blood, but definitely not sluggish, which was surprising to me because this time of the month usually completely zaps me.

Breakfast was good (spinach, sweet potato/sausage bake topped with 2 fried eggs and a dollop of mayo). Will need to pack lunch and dinner because I'm going to see Garth Brooks tonight! Yay!

Hope y'all have a great day!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on making it to day 12 everyone!

This week has been tough, but I'm starting to see some of the benefits of eating this way that are actually helping me through. I have a job that sometimes requires me to spend a lot of time going to and fro on public transportation all day and how long I'll be away from the office can be unpredictable. I've always been a big snacker but this week when I've had trips that kept me away from the office much longer than I was expecting I didn't feel the need to snack. I stayed full and didn't feel like I was going to die when I wasn't able to get to my lunch until 3:30. I was still pretty exhausted at the end of the day but I think running around all day in the hot sun (accidentally added another 2 miles of walking to the 2 I usually do every day) will do that to anyone, whole 30 or not.

And more and more of my clothes keep fitting better. Today it's the elastic waistband skirt that used to cut into my sides but now just sits comfortably and even seems to have a little room. I am pretty blown away by this part of my results so far.

Last night I made steak with chimichurri for dinner and my boyfriend couldn't stop talking about how great it was. He's not doing the whole 30 but he's been reaping the benefits of all the new things I've been cooking and has been loving all of it and very supportive of what I'm doing. I love the whole 30!

Day 12. No tiger blood. No looser clothing.

But with that said, no afternoon naps. No bloating, no irritability, and no restless nights. I too have been looking for different recipes. Subbing ghee or coconut flower when needed. For me too, this is the longest I've stayed 100% true with zero cheating. I feel strong. Almost half way.

It seems like because of my massive addiction to soda, some of my results will be coming later. It's okay....because I'm sure they are coming

Well it sounds like you've had some great nsv's christine! Good work!

Day 13 - we're almost two weeks in! I faced a LOT of temptation last night. We ended up with suite tickets to the Garth Brooks concert in Houston. I tried to bring grilled ckn in with me, but they made me throw it out :( . I walked into the suite and there was a huge tray of fresh baked cookies (my absolute weakness, and one of them had Reese's pb cups and toffee - I die!). On a normal night I would've eaten two of them. But instead I got a plate of boiled shrimp and guacamole with as much lettuce as I could get (I was literally eating the garnish! Ha ha!) and drank water. I was so proud of myself as I walked out knowing I had overcome!!

Got up and walked the dogs a few miles this morning - about to go shopping for a date I have today. Eeek and yay!

Hope y'all have a great day!

Monee2000 way to go!!! That is such an awesome feeling!

Today was good for me, I had to work a 12 hour shift, but I "slept-in" this morning until 5:45 and took my time getting ready. Usually I go to the gym and get ready in about 10 minutes! I think that set the precident for the day. I felt very cool, calm and collected all day. I work in a busy icu, so work is hectic most days. Today was no exception, but I didn't feel flustered at things that would normally effect me. I felt positive and happy, like nothing could get me down! Not even when I got home and found that my husband had cut 3 new holes in the kitchen ceiling because of leaks from this crazy rain!!

I follow whole30recipes on instagram and made one of the recipes last night, delish!! I'm excited to have it as leftover tomorrow!

Morning y'all! Ready to go on day 14 

The date yesterday went well and all I had was water at the baseball game, but I had an event to go to afterwards and I incorrectly assumed I'd find something to eat there. Unfortunately all of the meat was already sauced (bbq), so that was out. I could've had a dry potato, but that just didn't seem worth it. Got home at 10pm and ate a huge salad with grilled ckn.

I need to get my menu planned for this week and pull out the meat that needs to defrost. Are y'all making anything yummy?

Here is what I am making this week.  If your interested I can send you recipes:

- Balsamic marinaded grilled pork tenderloin with green beans and roasted fingerling potatoes

- Barbacoa Beef Taco Bowls, fresh salsa, guacamole, red onion.  Maybe some cilantro lime cauli rice.... If I can remember to thaw out cauliflower!

- One-pan ground beef and cabbage skillet.

- Burgers, roasted eggplant "fries" with spicy mayo.  

I am trying to economize and use things that I have in the freezer.  Hopefully my grocery bill won't be as humongous as last week!! 

I hear ya! I pulled a pork shoulder out of the freezer for some kalua pork, and then 2lbs of grass fed beef. I need to make some cauli rice and some mashed cauli potatoes to use up what I bought last week.

I don't think I'm going to need to buy much...

Yes MeghanE, I'd love those recipes!. I haven't posted here since day 1 but have been totally sticking to plan, in spite of some unusual events that would normally have sent me off course (Er and 3 day hospitalization for my elderly mom, ER for dog...) My biggest problem is major lack of sleep. I just can't fall asleep. I'm waiting for the improved sleep but each night gets worse. That, of course, makes me rather irritable during the day. Also am having headaches from lack of sleep. Anybody else having these issues?

Here are the recipes:

One skillet beef and cabbage (this is super fast, easy and good. Nothing fancy, but everyone at my house likes it!)
http://smilesandwich.com/2014/07/25/amish-one-pan-ground-beef-and-cabbage-skillet/

Balsamic pork Tenderloin (I have only grilled this, but it is a great light marinade that goes well on pork, chicken and beef. Make sure your steak seasoning is compliant)
http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2013/04/balsamic-roasted-pork-loin.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/ofLCo+(The+Girl+Who+Ate+Everything)

I can't get the link to work right for the eggplant fries, basically cut eggplant into disks, then fry shapes, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. I roast mine on 375 for about 20-25 min. I cook them on a wire rack so they cook evenly without flipping.

Those recipes I have made a bunch of times and my family loves them.... the Barbacoa is a new one I am trying this week in place of taco Tuesday. It is from Danielle Walker's Against All Grain cookbook. So far everything I've made from her books has been delicious! It isn't all paleo, but she has a lot.

Enjoy!! If anyone else had recipes to share I'd love to try something new!!

I made some homemade spaghetti sauce:
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/49252507164/virginia-is-for-hunter-gatherers-spicy-tomato

Used that to make stuffed bellpeppers:
https://marinasprimalcooking.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/stuffed-bell-peppers/

Menu this week will be:
Stuffed bell peppers
Sqoodles with meat sauce
Egg casserole w/ sweet potatoes, spinach, mushrooms, sausage and tomatoes
Hard boiled eggs
Grilled chicken salads

I'll be out of town Friday-Sunday and need to bring food, hence the salads. Trying to keep things as portable as possible. My breakfast will be hard boiled eggs with spicy mayo and cold roasted veggies on those three mornings. Salads ready for lunch and dinner in the cooler (going to an outdoor music festival).

Well done everyone -  officially over the half way mark as I write this.  I don't seem to have any symptoms good or bad to speak of which I think must actually be a good thing i.e. that I'm experiencing no bloat/cramp/tiredness etc. So if that's what I get instead of tiger blood I'll take it.

Have a great day

We're over the halfway mark! Lets sprint to the finish line strong!

I made a dessert last night to bring to work today for our bday celebration - and once again found myself wanting to lick the spoons and run my finger along the bowl... But I didn't! It's amazing how many automatic behaviors I had developed...

After feeling super positive for a while I've had a rough couple of days. I might be suffering from some seasonal allergies or a cold. But on Sunday I started feeling kind of dizzy and REALLY tired. I've also had this feeling of tightness in my chest and feeling like my heart is pounding. I'm also wheezing a little and it feels like I'm never quite able to get a deep breath. A lot of these things are symptoms I've had from anxiety in the past but it kind of caught me off guard because I don't feel like anything is triggering my anxiety. Quite the opposite, I've been feeling so proud of my new cooking skills, my resolve to see this through and the great results I've seen so far. I left work early yesterday and slept FOREVER. I'm feeling a bit better today but still tired and kind of foggy. I've been following the meal templates and eating bigger meals than I ever did before so I'm hoping this is just some bug and I'll start to feel the tiger blood once it's gone.

Another weird thing is that I have cravings all of a sudden. The first two weeks I barely even thought about the foods I wasn't eating. Then I saw a girl eating a twix on the metro and suddenly my brain is filled with visions of sweets and pizza and pasta and cheese.  I haven't actually thought about acting on any of these cravings but it's making me feel a little crazy.

I hope everyone else is feeling good and ready to complete the last half of this!

Hi everyone ,

I have not posted for sometime here, i just read through what everyone is posting. I'm Glad i made it half way. Yesterday i had very terrible headache all day and everyone around me was saying its cos im not eating properly, but i feel its cos im not resting enough.

Today i feel really great and what i'm wearing actually feels loose...

Goodluck to everyone as we move closer to the finish line

You guys, I felt it! The Tigers blood!!! I was at spinning yesterday, and usually I am dying. But I was one of the weirdos smiling during the class! AND... my favorite shorts from last year that didn't button earlier this summer fit, and look pretty good!!!! ( I don't think there are enough exclamation points for this!)

But, I have had this awful headache on and off for the last 3 days. And I've been having cravings pretty bad today. I don't feel like I'll cave in to them, but they're there.

Good news is, we're halfway done and I had a hint of tigers blood, so I know it's real!

Way to go everyone! It's all downhill from here!

...But, I have had this awful headache on and off for the last 3 days. And I've been having cravings pretty bad today. I don't feel like I'll cave in to them, but they're there....

Up your fats a little to help keep those cravings at bay, and ensure you're including a fist sized serving of starchy veg a day.

Cravings are just your mind playing tricks on you, trying to entice you back to your former diet.... try a distraction technique if you feel a craving soming on - make a cup of herbal tea, run a bath, go for a walk, alphabetise your CD collection (then categorise if you have to!).... anything to distract your brain until the craving passes.

For the headaches ensure you are drinking at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily.

Good news on the Tiger Blood! Grrr!!

I don't like that others are getting cravings and headaches, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I had been doing really well for the last two weeks, but since Saturday (Day 13), I've had really bad cravings, headaches, and I've been feeling quite lethargic. I thought maybe I had unintentionally cheated while eating out this weekend (I'm not sure of 100% of the ingredients in the aioli I had Friday or the omlet I ate Sunday morning), and so my body was reacting to re-starting the Whole30 (I've been really cautious since Sunday). But it sounds like the way I feel could be normal and maybe I didn't cheat? I sure hope so - before this weekend, I've been feeling great, clothes are fitting better, I've had more energy, and I've been loving all the whole, healthy foods I'm eating. I want that feeling back! :)

Hi - I started two days later than you all (June 17th).  I've been doing pretty well with it all, had the headache  and a couple of night with bizarre food dreams and now I seem to be feeling much better.  One thing I've realized is that I'm eating too much fruit.  I'm deciding that not eating sugar, alcohol, grains, dairy and legumes for this time is a triumph in itself.  I'll give myself a break on having snacked on berries and apricots, and go forward with limiting fruits.

Weight loss probably won't happen because of that, but I do feel better and more energetic in the last few days.  Hour long walks each day and I've gotten some long-put-off chores done around the house.

After my super slump at the beginning of the week I seem to be back on track. After I had lunch yesterday (leftover chicken cacciatore with cauliflower mash and an apple) I felt better almost immediately. Last night I had my cousin over for dinner and made seared chicken breasts with pesto and a side of balsamic glazed sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. I thought it was a pretty basic meal but she declared that I had pulled out all the stops and my boyfriend said, "Welcome to my life," with an air of pride. After my cousin left my boyfriend told me how proud of me he is for sticking with this and putting in all the work I have. He also really appreciates getting to eat like a king.

My sleep quality definitely seems to have improved since we must have had a big storm in DC last night (there are tree branches down all over the place) but I slept right through it.

Hi - I started two days later than you all (June 17th).  I've been doing pretty well with it all, had the headache  and a couple of night with bizarre food dreams and now I seem to be feeling much better.  One thing I've realized is that I'm eating too much fruit.  I'm deciding that not eating sugar, alcohol, grains, dairy and legumes for this time is a triumph in itself.  I'll give myself a break on having snacked on berries and apricots, and go forward with limiting fruits.

Weight loss probably won't happen because of that, but I do feel better and more energetic in the last few days.  Hour long walks each day and I've gotten some long-put-off chores done around the house.

I'm not sure fruit is going to halt your weight loss... Have you posted a couple of days worth of food for a moderator to review?

I don't go over the 2 pieces per day recommendation, but sometimes I don't even want that. I always make sure it's the last thing I eat so that I don't get too full to eat my veggies.

After my super slump at the beginning of the week I seem to be back on track. After I had lunch yesterday (leftover chicken cacciatore with cauliflower mash and an apple) I felt better almost immediately. Last night I had my cousin over for dinner and made seared chicken breasts with pesto and a side of balsamic glazed sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. I thought it was a pretty basic meal but she declared that I had pulled out all the stops and my boyfriend said, "Welcome to my life," with an air of pride. After my cousin left my boyfriend told me how proud of me he is for sticking with this and putting in all the work I have. He also really appreciates getting to eat like a king.

My sleep quality definitely seems to have improved since we must have had a big storm in DC last night (there are tree branches down all over the place) but I slept right through it.

What great compliments Hanamizu! Congrats on your diligence!

Day 17 for us... it seems so normal to me now. I very much enjoy having a fridge full of food to choose from and the comfort that comes from being prepared for the day. As I'm seeing people post meals on Instagram, I hear myself responding in my head 'that would make me feel TERRIBLE' - I really want that mindset to stick. I'm trying to figure out how I want to move forward long-term when this Whole30(45) is finished...

My team at work was supposed to go out to lunch today, but it got rescheduled after I got here. I'm so glad I decided to pack lunch 'just in case' before I left the house today - I wouldn't have been happy at all to have to scrounge and go get something today (especially because it's pouring outside right now!) But I'm all set - breakfast was good, lunch is ready to be eaten and I'll likely have my stuffed peppers with guacamole for dinner...

OH! And if you don't have Melissa J's cookbooks Well Fed and Well Fed 2 yet, they are on sale for only $1.99 each (Kindle) today on Amazon - GREAT deal! :)

Archived