Starting June15th

LanaJ

Good morning. I hope everyone is having a good start to week 2!

Friday was really rough for me because work kept me from getting home until late and I barely had the energy to scrape together a simple chicken salad but I managed to stick with it.

Yesterday my boyfriend commented that my stomach looked flatter. Based on this I decided to try on some shorts that had been too tight a week ago. And they fit. I really wasn't expecting to see anything like this so soon. I don't know if I've actually lost much weight but I think I am definitely less "puffy." Even my face seems to look slimmer.

Another positive is that I thought about chocolate the other day and it actually didn't even seem appetizing. This is huge for me because chocolate has always been a major comfort food.

Have a great day 8 everyone!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally don't share, but if people ask, I say I'm eating meat, chicken, fish, lots of vegetables and healthy fats beacause I find I feel much better when I eat this way. If you're on your first Whole30, you could tweak this to say you're trying this nutritional reset for a month and see if it helps improve x or reduce/remove y health challenges.

The suspense of what we're eating doesn't cross others minds....especially if we don't bring it up.  I don't say anything to anyone either.

http://whole30.com/2015/03/win-friends/

http://whole30.com/2013/08/dear-melissa-sharing-the-good-food-word-without-making-yourself-crazy/

Melissa @Whole9 says

25 August, 2013 at 11:50 am

Great strategy. Happy to hear that your in-laws are seeing the benefits from small changes – here’s hoping they’ll be more willing to take on a Whole30 in the near future!

Priceless. We often feel the need to vomit every piece of good dietary information we know on curious friends and family members. This often overwhelms them – and then we lose the chance altogether. Thanks for sharing your good advice.

Susan, thanks so much! I’m glad the advice was helpful in a context other than business travel.

Best,

Melissa

Morning y'all! Getting going on week 2. I didn't batch cook this weekend, but I will throw a bunch of meat on the grill and veggies in the oven tonight. I'm still working through a few things from last week. I need to hit up Trader Joe's on my way home.

Haven't been great about working out the past few days, and I probably won't fit it in today, but I'm not sitting down much once I'm home either. I'm cleaning/purging a few rooms and that means constantly walking between all of the rooms to get stuff put away, etc. Tonight I need to empty a closet so I can fill it up with stuff that I actually want to keep and get rid of most everything that's currently in it. I have someone moving into my house on Thursday, so I'm in a tight timeline to get it all done...

Hope y'all have a good day!

OMG! I took a photo of my belly this morning to compare it to my photo the day before I began and holy WOW! Am I allowed to share pictures or is that technically weighing myself?

Seeing this result made the struggles of this weekend SO WORTH IT! I truly considered quitting 3 different times this weekend, but my supportive family and friends would not let me. After seeing my first real NSV this morning, I am so thankful they talked me out of it.

Here we go . Week 2. Still learning as I go. Made some (a lot) sweet potato and zucchini latkes. Not so great, lol.....but the next batch will be better. Love watching my husband try to master the mayo recipe. So far we're 0/2, lol

I love hearing that quite of few of you are noticing a weight loss. So far I'm not, but today I did notice that I'm not thinking about a nap at noon time. This makes me happy. While doing house work, I watched a documentary called Hungry for Change. Holy wow!! It truly enforced my commitment to myself, to my family, to do away with chemical enhanced food like foods.

It's past noon, and time for lunch. I'm not hungry. However, think I'll steam a little broccoli. My husband and I were massive coke drinkers. I can't lie, the cravings come out of no where, and require more than a few deep breaths before they subside. I am chanting that by the beginning of week three, these cravings will get less intense and further apart.

Here's to all of us having another successful week. Becoming aware of our bodies, moods, dependencies, and our triggers.

I watched Hungry for Change and Fed Up (2x) this weekend - so so good! If you haven't watched Fed Up - it's even more aligned with the Whole30 mindset than Hungry for Change.

Watching these documentaries makes me almost ashamed of my profession (marketing), but alas, at least the products I'm promoting really do provide a service to people! 

As I watch more and more of these documentaries and learn more about nutrition and the way our bodies process the different types of food, it makes me more and more mad at the weight loss companies like Weight Watchers that push their completely processed products as 'healthy' and teach people ways to make food lower fat and lower calories without taking into account what those products are doing to their customers' bodies. It's anything BUT healthy!

I do wonder about juicing though - doesn't it take all of the fiber out of the fruits therefore turning them into almost straight sugar? I know there are a lot of healthy ingredients, but if there's not fiber to slow down the digestion process, does the liver/pancreas get overwhelmed and turn the sugars into fat? Just something to think about (and probably research a little more when I have some time). Right now I'm just going to leave juices alone as it's not part of the W30 way of doing things anyway...

You guys. You GUYS. I think I felt it. The tiniest little hint during my work out today. Tiger Blood. It was the tiniest little bit but it made me feel ferocious. I never feel ferocious!

The last 3 nights I have slept solidly, right through the night. 8 big hours (a thank you also goes to my 10 month old daughter for letting me :)) This was a rare feat for me.

I am kicking temptations left and right. In-laws were with us all weekend, bringing with them their bagels and cookies and carbs and things that sat on my microwave all weekend and I did not touch one or even so much as glance at them. Win. Also, last weekend I baked a cake for our church potluck, and since we had leftovers that we could not eat, I plated the rest and sent them to my neighbours. Well, today hubby came home to find a plate of macaroons on our plate, waiting for us at the front door. We quickly threw them in a container in the deep freeze for the next time we have company (usually I'd down one of those bad boys, or at least lick my fingers when I was all done - not so now!)

I hope day 9 and 10 aren't as bad as they're supposed to be because I'm feeling really good right now :)

Dinner was steamed green beans and baked chicken breast that I stuffed with a purée I made using artichoke hearts, parsley, and an entire head of garlic that I roasted.

Real food delish!!!

I need to up my amount of veggies moving forward.

So far so good June 15 people's

Morning y'all... I slept like a rock last night. I know I could've slept more, but I'm under a lot of deadlines right now - both at work and at home, so unfortunately more sleep isn't in the cards.

I did get 4 pans of veggies roasted last night, and did two rounds of protein on the grill, so at least I'm set in that department! I decided healthy food was the most important thing to take care of last night so it would be one less thing to worry about this week.

Day 9... Let's do this!

It's great to hear all these positive stories!

I wish someone had told me before I started the whole 30 how easy it is to poach an egg. I'm not always a huge fan of eggs but I love them poached. Now I've been making them for breakfast and topping them with red pepper mayo (with a heaping side of veggies) and I love it!

I also just realized that I'm wearing a skirt that has a snap at the top that would usually pop open when I sat down. Today I've got a shirt tucked in to the skirt and I've sat down and gotten up several times and the snap stayed put. Small victory!

Yay! Everyone sounds like they're doing so well! I was inspired by the hint of tigers blood that TinaBob felt so I worked out extra hard this morning..... but nothing! I felt good, but not better than normal. Soon, though...Hopefully!

Has anyone else been bloated/gassy and have discomfort in your belly? The last two days I have been pretty uncomfortable from late morning until around dinner time. I have had no appetite for lunch and actually felt like eating would make me feel much worse. So my meal 2 for yesterday and today was a banana and a few almonds, which is all i could stomach.

I know days 8-9 can bring some bloating, but this is not cool!! I haven't eaten anything different than normal either day...

Mentally I feel really good though. I'm sleeping well and feel energetic and productive! I haven't snapped at anyone and have hardly yelled since around day 2.

So that's a win!!

And I put on a pair of shorts that wouldn't button before I started. They buttoned! Looking good in them, that's another story... but maybe by day 30!!

I've definitely felt more bloated the past couple of days. Hoping that goes away soon.

Forgot my 'fat' at lunch today, but was able to go over to the cafeteria (where my company pays for the first $3.50 of your meal) and get them to sell me 1/2 an avocado. Score! Lunch was phenom! I always save my fruit til last and lately haven't had room for it. I guess that's a good thing though...

Yay! Everyone sounds like they're doing so well! I was inspired by the hint of tigers blood that TinaBob felt so I worked out extra hard this morning..... but nothing! I felt good, but not better than normal. Soon, though...Hopefully!

Has anyone else been bloated/gassy and have discomfort in your belly? The last two days I have been pretty uncomfortable from late morning until around dinner time. I have had no appetite for lunch and actually felt like eating would make me feel much worse. So my meal 2 for yesterday and today was a banana and a few almonds, which is all i could stomach.

I know days 8-9 can bring some bloating, but this is not cool!! I haven't eaten anything different than normal either day...

Mentally I feel really good though. I'm sleeping well and feel energetic and productive! I haven't snapped at anyone and have hardly yelled since around day 2.

So that's a win!!

And I put on a pair of shorts that wouldn't button before I started. They buttoned! Looking good in them, that's another story... but maybe by day 30!!

If you're not feeling hungry try to eat your way around your template meal (ie. eat proportional quantities of protein, fat & veg) & then pack up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able.

Eating fruit on it's own, or with nuts, as a meal/snack is not recommended as this will mess with your blood sugar levels, potentially causing a crash with fatigue, faux hunger etc later on.

If you'd like to post up a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity/stress/sleep levels we can take a look and see what might be casuing the bloating/gassy feeling & discomfort you describe...

Definitely noticing that I'm feeling better about myself, though whether or not my appearance has actually changed is debateable. I'm sleeping better, too, and improving in my running. I'm training up to 5k (and then 10k), and I was able to run the entire 20 minutes straight my program called for today. No tiger blood yet, but improvement.

I'm loving the way I'm eating, but have been having increasing trouble enjoying my meals. It's not that I don't enjoy the individual components (no trouble with vegetables here) or that it's wildly different from what I might normally make for myself. I just can't seem to get too excited about it. I did make lamb for the first time ever last week, though, and that was amazing. It's going on the menu for next week, too.

Jmcbn-

Here are my last few days:

Saturday

pretty wo: hard boiled egg

1hr spin class

M1 omelet with peppers, onions, salsa, avocado, sweet potato hash browns

M2 grilled chicken, asparagus, roasted potatoes

M3 tacos, over lettuce, fresh salsa, guacamole

Sunday

M1 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash browns, spinach

black coffee

Snack raw veggies

M2 left over grilled chicken, asparagus, roasted fingerling potatoes

M3 taco meat over lettuce with avocado, fresh salsa

Monday (first day of stomach discomfort)

M1 eggs, sweet potato hash browns, spinach

black coffee 1/2 caf

nature walk with my little ones

M2 grilled chicken, asparagus, could only eat a few bites of potatoes and asparagus. Few hours later had a banana and a few almonds.

M3 burgers, lettuce, tomato, roasted potatoes, whole30 basic mayo

Tues (more stomach discomfort)

Hard boiled egg

1hr bootcamp class

M1 2 eggs, spinach, sw potato hash browns,sweet apple chicken sausage.

swam for 1.5 hr with the kids

M2 couldn't eat, eventually had banana and almonds

M3 spaghetti squash, sausage, kale.

Stress levels are ok. I have been off work for the past 7 days, going back today.

Drinking just one cup of 1/2 caf black coffee aND lots of water each day. Sleeping between 6.5-7 hours a night, which is my usual.

Maybe it's just my body adjusting to the whole30. I don't remember this happening last time. We'll see how today goes being back at work (12 hour shift as a icu nurse).

Thanks for your help!

Jmcbn-

Here are my last few days:

Saturday

pretty wo: hard boiled egg

1hr spin class

M1 omelet with peppers, onions, salsa, avocado, sweet potato hash browns

M2 grilled chicken, asparagus, roasted potatoes

M3 tacos, over lettuce, fresh salsa, guacamole

Sunday

M1 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash browns, spinach

black coffee

Snack raw veggies

M2 left over grilled chicken, asparagus, roasted fingerling potatoes

M3 taco meat over lettuce with avocado, fresh salsa

Monday (first day of stomach discomfort)

M1 eggs, sweet potato hash browns, spinach

black coffee 1/2 caf

nature walk with my little ones

M2 grilled chicken, asparagus, could only eat a few bites of potatoes and asparagus. Few hours later had a banana and a few almonds.

M3 burgers, lettuce, tomato, roasted potatoes, whole30 basic mayo

Tues (more stomach discomfort)

Hard boiled egg

1hr bootcamp class

M1 2 eggs, spinach, sw potato hash browns,sweet apple chicken sausage.

swam for 1.5 hr with the kids

M2 couldn't eat, eventually had banana and almonds

M3 spaghetti squash, sausage, kale.

Stress levels are ok. I have been off work for the past 7 days, going back today.

Drinking just one cup of 1/2 caf black coffee aND lots of water each day. Sleeping between 6.5-7 hours a night, which is my usual.

Maybe it's just my body adjusting to the whole30. I don't remember this happening last time. We'll see how today goes being back at work (12 hour shift as a icu nurse).

Thanks for your help!

Hi Meghan

I'd say the snack of raw veggies may be your culprit, with the problem then having been exasperated by the almonds you've taken in place of meals. Both are know to be hard on the digestive system... Also hard boiled eggs can be tough to digest too.

Are you drinking seltzer by any chance as this can cause gas & bloating? Or is your water iced? It's always best to drink water closer to room temperature...

I'd give it a few days avoiding all of the above & see if it settles for you.

Hope this helps!

morning! got more done in the house this morning before work, but I think it's going to take at least one more week until everything is back in it's place. I've at least got the room and closet that the girl is moving into handled, so she has a place to move her stuff into, etc.

I haven't been working out as much as I'd like, but my meals have been on point, so that's good. I kept it pretty simple this week, but that's been a good thing!

Hope y'all have a great day!

Hi Meghan

I'd say the snack of raw veggies may be your culprit, with the problem then having been exasperated by the almonds you've taken in place of meals. Both are know to be hard on the digestive system... Also hard boiled eggs can be tough to digest too.

Are you drinking seltzer by any chance as this can cause gas & bloating? Or is your water iced? It's always best to drink water closer to room temperature...

I'd give it a few days avoiding all of the above & see if it settles for you.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

I feel better today.  Still a teeny bit bloated, but no discomfort/gassiness so far!  

Still going strong. Still amazing myself. I honestly haven't stuck with an eating plan for this long for I don't know how long. I don't want to cheat! I can't break the streak now. 

I am feeling better, but pulled out my book today for inspiration. I have been getting a tad bored with meals and looked for some recipes to keep me motivated. 

I even took my kids out for frozen yogurt last night. If there was any night I was going to go off the plan, it would have been last night. The smell of sugary stuff was all around me. I looked at all the nutritional info and as I watched my kids build these heaping yogurt creations, my cup was full of bananas, blueberries and raspberries. I was so proud. 

Who is this person? I don't recognize her?

Keep going everyone!

Ava

Well, it's day 11 for me now and I feel great. I am also wearing skirt that was a little snug a couple of weeks ago but feels pretty comfy now; even though weight loss wasn't my main goal I'm not complaining. I went on a school excursion with my 6 year old and I seem to have picked up a head cold which is affecting my exercise routine but not my eating. I will have to find some new recipes for next week as I've been making huge portions of whatever I'm having to last me a couple of days but I'm a little bored of the same old same old so I'll be pouring over my recipe books for inspiration.

Keep up the fantastic work everyone,

Tiger blood is gone!

I have had the most irritable last 3 days. I feel like my kill all the things phase has extended into forever. I hate food. Even when I'm really hungry I don't want to eat.I dread cooking and preparing food. The littlest things irritate me. I have lost all of imagination about how I could make this diet more interesting, and right now I don't have the energy to expand my repertoire. 

This is for sure my brain throwing a royal tantrum about the lack of sugar, no? Gosh I hope it doesn't last much longer. My poor daughter/dog/husband/neighbours/every-who-comes-into-contact-with-me! 

Day 11 check in... I definitely haven't hit the Tiger Blood stage yet, but I would love to hit it soon! i've felt super bloated over the past few days, and my cycle, which is usually like clock work, is late. I should've started Monday (and I am 100% certain I'm not pregnant), but nothing yet. I've read that others experience this too though given the hormonal effect, so for now I'll just keep waiting.

Still eating on plan, and while good, nothing about food excites me right now. I don't want anything bad, I just don't really want to eat anything. I do, and when I eat I'm happy with the flavor combinations, etc., but I'm not longing for my next meal. And honestly that's a good thing - I want to get to the point that I enjoy food as fuel, not as comfort, etc.

TinaBob - hope you get over this hump soon! 

avacado - congrats on the fro-yo outing - that's a great victory!!

jkord - congrats on the skirt - woot woot!

oh my goodness, lunch today was hard.  My coworkers all ordered cheese steaks.  And it you've ever been to the Philly area, you know that these are amazing!!  They smelled so freaking good!  I was a little sad eating my salad and tuna.  But I did it.  I know I would have had a huge stomach ache if I had eaten a cheese steak, even if it tasted like heaven! 

I haven't hit the food boredom/disgust phase yet... Over all I feel good.  But I keep having times where I feel like I am just all the sudden going to find myself eating a bag of M&M's or drinking a bottle of wine. It's a similar feeling as when you are somewhere that is high off the ground and you feel like you will randomly fall!  Weird.  I know.

We're almost done day 11!!  Tiger blood stage is coming soon.... right?

Archived