Starting June15th

LanaJ

Happy Day 18! :) Only 12 more to go... 

My biggest challenge yet begins tomorrow - an out of town trip with friends that are absolutely not doing this with me! I boiled 6 eggs this morning and I plan on making an egg salad with avocado and mayo that I'll serve over spinach and sliced tomatoes for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. For lunch I'm planning on making salads (I'll grill chicken before I leave) and will make homemade ranch to go with them. For dinner I'll bring stuffed peppers that I will just eat cold (even though they'll be somewhat gross). At least I'll be compliant! 7 meals on the road... here we go! :)

I'm also going to a concert tonight, and my friend invited me over for drinks before hand. I told her I couldn't drink, but that I'd be happy to come over and have my dinner there with her before we left. She then asked if she could join in on my meal. So I packed up some kalua pork, 2 baked sweet potatoes and a bag of baby spinach (will make at her house). Very happy she's joining me, even if it is only one meal! :)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it's day 19! We're almost 2/3 of the way done! Yay!!!

My friend loved the dinner I made last night - she kept

Going on and on asking how I came up with the combo, which I didn't think was that weird. Lol! I sautéd some spinach with a shallot and garlic and out that on the plate. Then a baked sweet potato, topped with Kalua pork and then drizzled with a mayo/franks red sauce mix. So tasty!

Also Yesterday I stirred mayo into my meat sauce for my spaghetti to make a creamy meat sauce over spiraled squash, and again - so good!

Packing up to head out of town now. Hope y'all have a great day!!

day 20! Where are y'all?!?!

I cut my trip short and came home a day early. It had nothing to do with not being prepared, but I couldn't handle the behavior of the group I was with sober. It was just too much and they live very different lifestyles than me. So I just packed up this morning and drove on home. Absolute best decision I could've made!

Hope y'all are doing well and enjoying the 4th (for those in the U.S.!)

Hi gang!  I'm still following along with y'all and on Day 22, I think.  Monee, sorry your trip didn't work out better but it sounds like you made the right decision for you! I certainly have learned that being sober while around lots of people who are drinking can be sort of a drag.  I went out to a happy hour with some coworkers a couple weeks ago.  They all had frou-frou cocktails in these fancy glasses.  I ordered a club soda with lime, which the bar brought to me in a plastic cup.  I found that really offensive - and won't be back to that establishment.

Anyway, things are rockin' for me.  I have a ton of energy and motivation right now, so I'm loving that!  I'm about to start my weekly cookup while the house is still cool, then I'm off to buy new running shoes.

Happy week 4, everyone!  Finishing stretch - of this phase!  For me, the hard part starts after that.  What to maintain, what to add back in, how to avoid going back to old habits - those all become the focus for me.

Hope everyone's still chugging along and having some successes!

Hey you guys,

I sure have missed ya'll. Last week was killer. I got the worse kidney infection of my life, no exageration!! Fetal position for 3 days, then slow recovery the rest. Starting to feel like myself again. Proud to say, that I didn't allow illness to throw me off track.

Tonight I made the book's "walnut crusted pork tenderloin" . OMgoodness....really good. I'll tweek a couple of things next time, but will totally be making this again.

I'm so thrilled to see every ones progress both physically and mentally. Can you believe that we have only 9 days left? Wait, its after midnight...so that means 8 days left. Crazy huh?

I'm already thinking of my next one. I really think I'm going to give myself 4 days off. a day to reintroduce 1. sugar, 2. grains, 3, dairy, and 4. Legumes. I just want to see what each individual group does to my body. But after that...I think I will begin again.

I really believe that from the years of abuse, 30 days isn't long enough to reap the rewards that I've read about. Have any on you begun to think of your post whole 30?

I really think I'm going to give myself 4 days off. a day to reintroduce 1. sugar, 2. grains, 3, dairy, and 4. Legumes. I just want to see what each individual group does to my body. But after that...I think I will begin again.

You might want to read this link on the standard reintroduction phase.

Many people actually opt to go the slow roll route....

Either way it's a learning curve that shouldn't be missed.

Well done on staying compliant with that kidney infection - glad you're on the mend.

I'm already thinking of my next one. I really think I'm going to give myself 4 days off. a day to reintroduce 1. sugar, 2. grains, 3, dairy, and 4. Legumes. I just want to see what each individual group does to my body. But after that...I think I will begin again.

I really believe that from the years of abuse, 30 days isn't long enough to reap the rewards that I've read about. Have any on you begun to think of your post whole 30?

Hey Christine - I'm actually extending mine to a Whole45 as I jumped in with the sitewide challenge that started on July 1st. I agree with you that with all I've put my body through in the past few years, it's going to take more than 30 days to experience all that's in store for me.

My plan for going forward is to stick to paleo as much as possible, with a very occasional treat here and there. Ultimately I will try to eat Whole30 as often as possible, and then ask myself if I want to go off-roading if there's a suitable paleo substitution I can make, or if I really need to splurge on the real thing. And then I'll come back and reset with a Whole30 once/quarter. My next one will officially begin September 21st so that I'm done in time for my b-day on 10/28.

I truly want to adapt fully to this way of eating as I feel so good, and it gives me a reason to say no to things, especially things that aren't worth it!

And as for re-intro - you'll really need much more than 4 days - I'm sure you'll see that in the links that jmcbn posted :) 

Best of luck to you as you push through these last 8 days! 

Congrats to all of us for "doing" this Whole30. I never in a million years would have thought I would be capable of sticking to a program like this. I will admit I am a bit discouraged though. I'm waiting for the magic: sleep, energy, lack of pain (having bouts of pancreatitis and daily headaches). I understand that not everyone has the same timeline so I'll keep on keeping on. Also starting to think about the after 30 days. Maybe 45???

Okay, yes...i went back and re-read the chapter about post whole 30, lol. Guess I was jumping the gun there, lol. I think since I'm one of the ones that haven't felt this amazing surge of energy, or one of the ones wearing clothes one size down....I'm just anxious to get to something tangible, lol. Even if that means....having an ah ha moment when I can pin point what makes me sleepy, or bloated.

Thanks for the reminders xxoo

Hello!  I've only posted once before but I'm so happy to see some June 15ers still hanging in there!

Here we are only 1 week to go - at least officially - until the end!  I'm nervous, too, about Day 31+.  But also considering jumping in with the current July Whole 30 and extending to a Whole47 :)

So I've been experiencing the Tiger Blood!  The first day was a little unsettling - so much energy! 

One habit that started with week 3 that I'm not enjoying is waking up at around 3-4am every morning.  Sometimes I feel hungry, but not always. I just wake up and I'm awake for a while before drifting back off to sleep.  Anyone else have any sleep disturbances? Maybe a moderator can shed some light?

Good luck to everyone in the home stretch!  Thanks for posting the great recipes! 

Did some research today about lacking specific enzymes for digestion and therefore leading to lack of energy. It's way too complicated for me but I'll keep researching till I get it. For me at least, I think eating all the extra protein and fats without having the needed specific enzymes to process them, might be leading to the definite lack of TIGER BLOOD. As full discloser, I should mention that I am lacking part of my pancreas so I've known about the enzyme thing for awhile. The problem with enzymes is that it is very difficult to figure out which ones are personally tolerated and how much of which one. Anyone out there have any good site that they would recommend?

Congrats to all of us for "doing" this Whole30. I never in a million years would have thought I would be capable of sticking to a program like this. I will admit I am a bit discouraged though. I'm waiting for the magic: sleep, energy, lack of pain (having bouts of pancreatitis and daily headaches). I understand that not everyone has the same timeline so I'll keep on keeping on. Also starting to think about the after 30 days. Maybe 45???

I've been sleeping well, and have sustained energy throughout the day, but don't bounce out of bed either. I will say it was a little easier to pull myself out of bed at 445 this morning, which allowed me to get to the gym and work out before work. AND I got to work before most people as well, which is definitely something I'm working on. I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm definitely going through the Whole45 (Or possibly Whole47 if that's what it ends up being when the July 1st group is done on the 30th.

Okay, yes...i went back and re-read the chapter about post whole 30, lol. Guess I was jumping the gun there, lol. I think since I'm one of the ones that haven't felt this amazing surge of energy, or one of the ones wearing clothes one size down....I'm just anxious to get to something tangible, lol. Even if that means....having an ah ha moment when I can pin point what makes me sleepy, or bloated.

Thanks for the reminders xxoo

I totally understand where you're coming from. I want the tiger blood too, and I REALLY want to fit into smaller clothes, but as for now I'll just keep on keeping on knowing that I'm serving my body well...

Hello!  I've only posted once before but I'm so happy to see some June 15ers still hanging in there!

Here we are only 1 week to go - at least officially - until the end!  I'm nervous, too, about Day 31+.  But also considering jumping in with the current July Whole 30 and extending to a Whole47 :)

So I've been experiencing the Tiger Blood!  The first day was a little unsettling - so much energy! 

One habit that started with week 3 that I'm not enjoying is waking up at around 3-4am every morning.  Sometimes I feel hungry, but not always. I just wake up and I'm awake for a while before drifting back off to sleep.  Anyone else have any sleep disturbances? Maybe a moderator can shed some light?

Good luck to everyone in the home stretch!  Thanks for posting the great recipes! 

I have been sleeping somewhat soundly, other than having to get up at least once a night to go to the restroom, which wasn't an issue prior to starting Whole30. I know it means that my body is better hydrated though, and I can go straight back to sleep, so I won't complain. And I'm TOTALLY jealous of your tiger blood! I want it! LOL!

Day 23 my friends! One week from TODAY we'll be celebrating our final OFFICIAL day together! :)

Did some research today about lacking specific enzymes for digestion and therefore leading to lack of energy. It's way too complicated for me but I'll keep researching till I get it. For me at least, I think eating all the extra protein and fats without having the needed specific enzymes to process them, might be leading to the definite lack of TIGER BLOOD. As full discloser, I should mention that I am lacking part of my pancreas so I've known about the enzyme thing for awhile. The problem with enzymes is that it is very difficult to figure out which ones are personally tolerated and how much of which one. Anyone out there have any good site that they would recommend?

Brendl - If I were you I'd post this question in a new post in a separate section so that it gets the attention it deserves. I hope you're able to get the answers you need! :)

Hi everyone!

It is crazy to think that we're starting to talk about reintroduction. When I started this thing I really wasn't sure I'd make it this far.

Thanks again to Monee for that tip about the sale on Well Fed. It was a big help in preventing food boredom for me. Tomorrow I'm going to try the Moroccan meatballs with cumin roasted carrots.

I'm continuing to see changes in myself. I haven't felt any tremendous surge of energy but in the past couple of days something has gotten better, though it's hard to explain. It's like doing all this cooking and eating this way just got easier. My mood seems a lot more stable which is something my boyfriend noticed as well.

Doing the Whole 30 has really made me realize how much my diet was affecting my body, even though I didn't think I ate that poorly. My waist keeps getting smaller despite the fact that I haven't changed my exercise habits much. My boyfriend and I are going to a wedding on August 1 and I had ordered a dress online. When it came I thought it was too tight and didn't look good on me but my boyfriend liked it and convinced me to keep it. I tried it on again yesterday and couldn't believe the difference. I like the way I look in it now. I also went to Target yesterday to pick up some new exercise clothes. Now this is an activity that used to destroy my self esteem and leave me close to tears. Instead I felt good about myself. I don't have a perfect body and I still have a ways to go to reach all of my fitness goals but I'm really proud of the progress I've made. And that's the most important thing. The weight loss is great but mostly I just feel like I'm in control of my life and my health now and I'm so proud of myself for making these changes.

I hope everyone has a great day 23!

I don't have a perfect body and I still have a ways to go to reach all of my fitness goals but I'm really proud of the progress I've made. And that's the most important thing. The weight loss is great but mostly I just feel like I'm in control of my life and my health now and I'm so proud of myself for making these changes.

This is 100% how I feel too! :)

So I just recently got new health insurance through work and signed up for a new PCP online. They had me fill out a little survey just now and something in it really surprised me. Last year I had to fill out a similar survey for a different doctor and in the section that asked if I had any symptoms of depression most of my answers were "agree strongly" which prompted my doctor to prescribe prozac. It made me super sick and didn't work for me at all so I decided to forego meds for the time being and just stick with therapy.

Well just now I filled out that section of the survey and realized that most of my answers were "no." No I haven't felt like I just couldn't get started. No I haven't been sleeping poorly. No I haven't felt like my problems are insurmountable. I knew my mood had been more even but I really hadn't been thinking about it too much. I've always just thought of myself as a person with depression and I didn't even notice that I really hadn't been experiencing any symptoms for a while. Taking this survey made me realize how much better I'm doing mentally as well as physically. The difference was so big from last year that I really felt shocked.

I guess it's a good example of how you may be experiencing benefits that you don't really notice until you examine all the negative ways you're NOT feeling anymore.

Happy Day 24 everyone!

Hanamizu - I loved your final statement!!!  It's so true - even if you're not feeling all the positive stuff, a huge victory is a lack of the negative stuff!!!

We've had company for the past week and it's included making many sandwiches, buying cupcakes, and last night going to the Cheesecake Factory and everyone having cheesecake - and I didn't eat any of it and was fine with it.  It was just food, it didn't have a huge hold on me.  I was there, I participated in the fun without having to eat things I would feel bad about later.  Win!

Definite win jrdva! Good work!

Day 24 - we're definitely on the downhill slide of this one! Can't wait to conquer day 30 and know I DID IT!

I made coconut collard greens this morning which is one of my favorite recipes from when I did Beachbody's Ultimate Reset. It's super simple so I thought I'd share...

Sauté 1/2 onion (diced) in olive oil until super soft and starting to brown. Add in one bag of shredded collard greens and 1/2 cup coconut milk and let simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt, stir, and that'll do it!

Before that recipe, I thought I HATED collard greens because I was force-fed them as a child. Not anymore! I love them! 

Thanks jrdva! I never thought that taking a basic health survey would be such a positive experience for me.

I still can't believe how close we are to day 30. I'm a little anxious about reintroduction because I really don't want to undo all the positive changes I've made. I'm thinking that for the most part I'm going to stick to a whole 30 diet. I'm mostly worried about foods I have emotional attachment to like cookies. I still get some pretty intense cravings so I think it would be all to easy to go back to eating way more cookies in a sitting than I should.

Thanks jrdva! I never thought that taking a basic health survey would be such a positive experience for me.

I still can't believe how close we are to day 30. I'm a little anxious about reintroduction because I really don't want to undo all the positive changes I've made. I'm thinking that for the most part I'm going to stick to a whole 30 diet. I'm mostly worried about foods I have emotional attachment to like cookies. I still get some pretty intense cravings so I think it would be all to easy to go back to eating way more cookies in a sitting than I should.

I hear you on that. My cravings are mostly less intense than they were, but a bad day still prompts a desire to dive into a pint of ice cream sometimes. How are you coping with your cravings? I'm always looking for more strategies.

I've decided to extend my Whole30. I'd like to do a Whole75 because that will take me right to my 25th birthday, and that feels very neat and tidy to me. What better way to end being 24 than with a dedication to my health that sets me up for success in the next year? Plus I have some clothes I'd really love to fit into again that are only about a size too small. >.> The most challenging thing about that is that we have a trip to San Diego planned for the end of July. We're renting an apartment with a kitchen, but my guy definitely wants to go out to eat - something I've been avoiding on Whole30. It's a little nervous-making.

Congrats to everyone on the victories we are all reporting.

I also had to go out to red lobster on monday evening for dinner, and i felt good i was not tempted to eat anything off pla.

I had garden salad with lemon as the dressing and steamed crab legs. I was actually impressed with the good choice i made.

I'm so happy i have been able to stick through this and also considering doing a 45 or 60 for better results.

Keep going strong

I haven't had too much in the way of strategies for coping with cravings. Sometimes I'll have a cup of tea and that helps. Mostly I've just been saying, "I can't eat that because I'm doing the whole 30" and that's been enough. I'm worried that when I'm done though and things that were off plan are technically "allowed" I won't be able to hit the breaks. I need to come up with some plans for when that happens.

• Administrators

I haven't had too much in the way of strategies for coping with cravings. Sometimes I'll have a cup of tea and that helps. Mostly I've just been saying, "I can't eat that because I'm doing the whole 30" and that's been enough. I'm worried that when I'm done though and things that were off plan are technically "allowed" I won't be able to hit the breaks. I need to come up with some plans for when that happens.

How about changing your dialogue now to "I choose not to have that because I'm committed to the Whole30".  Then, you can just slightly revise it to "I choose not to have that because I'm committed to my health/it makes me feel crappy etc"

Sometimes framing it as your personal choice allows you to take responsibility for it rather than laying all the responsibility at the feet of a program that will be over in 30 days.

Hi there,

Had another 3-4am wake-up again last night.  Really not sure what that's about.  It started about 10 days ago.  I'm not sure if it's a blood sugar problem.  Would love to get a moderator's take on it.

I totally hear you on the comfort food cravings - cookies and ice cream are big ones - but chocolate is the worst for me.  High quality dark chocolate covered almonds.  Oh my, my, my.  I stink at moderation.  Once I allow these things back in my diet, it's a slippery slope.  So, I'm also thinking about just sticking with a Whole30 diet for good.  I know it's not supposed to be a Whole 365, but…..

Archived