Starting June15th

LanaJ

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm not feeling terrible today, but I wouldn't say I feel great either. My stomach is still a bit queasy although I woke up with a ravenous hunger. I'll look into trying kombucha. I've also had a lot of friends recommend taking papaya enzyme for digestion. Is that likely to be compliant?

On the plus side I made the poached salmon from the book last night and it came out amazing! I've never cooked salmon before and I usually don't even like fish so I was pretty excited.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Feeling like I need something light and fresh, after eggs, sausage, and sweet potatoes for breakfast. Did somet turkey and avocado roll ups for lunch and just made some Popsicles. I puréed some watermelon and puréed some pineapple added some coconut water. Usually some honey goes in, but omitted it. Made the mayonnaise recipe from the book, and mine came out to the exact consistency of store bought mayo! Yea, a little bland so I think I may need more lemon juice, and mustard powder.

Hey Denise,

Popsicles would not be permitted on the Whole30 per the "Sex With Your Pants On Rule" of not recreating non compliant "treat" items with compliant ingredients.  If you want to eat the watermelon, just eat the watermelon.  Forming it into popsicles tells your brain that you're eating a treat and we want you to steer away from that.

• Administrators

Ok, I made it through day 1 and Day 2 has started off nicely. Just completed a pretty hard workout and am now having breakfast which is a frittata with clean chorizo, tomatoes. It tastes pretty darn good. I have a lunch with a friend today and have scoped out the menu to ensure there is a huge salad option I can have with no cheese. But, before I go I am going to have a snack of avocado, blueberries to make sure I don't stray off of the path. I will also survive this day without a drop of alcohol. My husband had a beer last night and I did NOT! Hip hip hooray!!!

I find that "happy hour" is just as happy and relaxing if I have a kombucha or an iced tea or a fruit infused water.  It's the part about sitting down with your spouse at the end of the day and taking a deep breath and just resting/being social.  It doesn't matter that there is no alcohol in my cup, it matters that we're still enjoying our time and decompression together.

Hi there,

I started on June 15th also and just found this thread.  So far Day 2 evening was my hangover with a crushing headache.  Today is my "kill all the things" day.  I've started several Whole 30s in the past, but never made it to Day 30.  I've made it to Day 27 - can you believe it!

So happy to have found fellow travelers on the journey.  Knowing others are in the same place will power us all through!

Hello everyone! 

I started on June 15th as well, and am so thankful to have found this thread! I am on Day 5 and going strong! I have noticed how much unhealthy food I crave but haven't felt physically sick. As a recovering binge eater, this has been such an emotional journey so far. It's tough learning the emotions behind the food I eat and why I eat them. 

I am realizing that I don't think I am eating enough protein. My only proteins right now are 3 eggs in morning with spinach, red pepper, ground turkey, and onion, and then 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch. Other than that, I am just eating fruits and vegetables. 

Any ideas on great ways to make chicken salad in bulk? Life is busy and I have been very intentional this week in planning my meals but as I'm going into the weekend, I want to have a plan! 

On day 1 I promised myself to post frequently, but life has been too crazy! I have been reading through everyone else's posts on the train though. Good work so far, everybody :)

I almost gave up yesterday...I had scheduled 30 minutes for dinner between the end of my workday and a long evening meeting, but then a coworker needed my help with a project and I didn't get to eat like I planned. To add insult to injury, I got caught in a thunderstorm on my way out of work, and as I was shivering in the air-conditioned train I thought wow, I could really use a cookie! That kind of emotional eating (bad day = fix with food) is exactly what I'm trying to stop with the Whole30 though. I managed to make it through the meeting and eat a very late dinner instead of caving and picking up something sweet on the way. Crisis averted!

I'm sorry to hear that the headaches and nausea are hitting the group this week. On week 1 of my first Whole30, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus, but it got better by week 2, and by week 3 I felt amazing. Hang in there!

Hi everyone! Last night didn't go quite as planned because I left my dinner in the fridge at work :(

So instead I ordered a bunless, cheese-less burger with a fried egg on top and extra veggies on the side. Made the best out of the situation and was pretty proud of myself.

Breakfast this morning was awesome - sweet potato/sausage casserole on top of a bed of spinach with a couple of hard boiled eggs on the side. 

About to go eat lunch, which is actually my planned dinner from last night (chicken, asparagus, avocado and strawberries). Will work out after work (elliptical and BodyPump).

Hope y'all have a great day!

Hello everyone! 

I started on June 15th as well, and am so thankful to have found this thread! I am on Day 5 and going strong! I have noticed how much unhealthy food I crave but haven't felt physically sick. As a recovering binge eater, this has been such an emotional journey so far. It's tough learning the emotions behind the food I eat and why I eat them. 

I am realizing that I don't think I am eating enough protein. My only proteins right now are 3 eggs in morning with spinach, red pepper, ground turkey, and onion, and then 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch. Other than that, I am just eating fruits and vegetables. 

Any ideas on great ways to make chicken salad in bulk? Life is busy and I have been very intentional this week in planning my meals but as I'm going into the weekend, I want to have a plan! 

I made the sonoma chicken salad from here: http://whole30.com/2015/01/best-whole30-recipes-keep-simple-sweetheart/

On day 1 I promised myself to post frequently, but life has been too crazy! I have been reading through everyone else's posts on the train though. Good work so far, everybody :)

I almost gave up yesterday...I had scheduled 30 minutes for dinner between the end of my workday and a long evening meeting, but then a coworker needed my help with a project and I didn't get to eat like I planned. To add insult to injury, I got caught in a thunderstorm on my way out of work, and as I was shivering in the air-conditioned train I thought wow, I could really use a cookie! That kind of emotional eating (bad day = fix with food) is exactly what I'm trying to stop with the Whole30 though. I managed to make it through the meeting and eat a very late dinner instead of caving and picking up something sweet on the way. Crisis averted!

I'm sorry to hear that the headaches and nausea are hitting the group this week. On week 1 of my first Whole30, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus, but it got better by week 2, and by week 3 I felt amazing. Hang in there!

Congrats on powering through and not giving up!!

You guys are all fantastic! :)
Weird question, but has anyone felt a little sick...the first half of today I was feeling nauseous and almost like I had a flu coming on.

TMI but things "down there" too have been moving quite a bit....faster since I began. The Whole 30 diet was not an enormous change for me, so I'm quite surprised by how "on point the day-by-day summary has been.

Wondered if it was the diet....or maybe the side effect of 3 nights of bad sleep (due to sleep regressing 9 month old daughter, who has chosen this week, exactly, to bust out of her previously wonderful sleep patterns and give Whole30-ing mom and dad a run for their money ;)

P.S. Did try a little coconut cream in my coffee this morning. Not a fan - I found it too rich. I think I'll drink mine black :) I might even develop a taste for it!

I find that "happy hour" is just as happy and relaxing if I have a kombucha or an iced tea or a fruit infused water.  It's the part about sitting down with your spouse at the end of the day and taking a deep breath and just resting/being social.  It doesn't matter that there is no alcohol in my cup, it matters that we're still enjoying our time and decompression together.

I was at 7 year old birthday party early evening and of course wine was supplied for the mums as was a cheese platter. I was feeling so good I wasn't even tempted with the alcohol because I was enjoying the company on a Friday night just as much with mineral water and the cheese ( which can be my downfall) didn't appeal because I wasn't hungry yet for dinner and I made myself listen to my body's cues. I felt like I'd grown!  I tell you what though, some people got pretty defensive about their food choices after I explained what I was doing. I had made a point of telling my close friends what I was doing so that they'd know not to bring me treats etc but the wider circle from school were making those lame jokes about " i'd rather enjoy myself and live a little",  "Life's too short for that nonsense", "What is this " nil by mouth?"  They weren't being nasty but they did think I was raining on the party! Oh well.... Here's to a beautiful weekend of lamb shanks!

Congratulations to us all for our first work week! Day 5 was FABULOUS for me; very refreshing after this difficult week. My cravings were non-existent today, even walking down the chip/soda aisle! No scale victory right there. :)

Going to one of my favorite breweries tonight, but I think I'll be okay with no beer. It's the half-off appetizers that will be hard! I had a light dinner since we will be at the brewery for about 3 hours, and I know I'll be a bit hungry. Luckily, I think 2 things are compliant. I hope this isn't breaking too far from my Whole 30 guidelines.

M1- Spinach salad with cilantro sauce, turkey burger with 1/2 an avocado

M2- Leftover coconut shrimp with steamed zucchini and green beans, plus half an apple with almomd butter

M3- Delicious Crockpot buffalo chicken lettuce wrap, a few pieces of steamed zucchini, and sweet potato mash with carmelized onions

Onward to day 6, June 15ers!

• Administrators

I was at 7 year old birthday party early evening and of course wine was supplied for the mums as was a cheese platter. I was feeling so good I wasn't even tempted with the alcohol because I was enjoying the company on a Friday night just as much with mineral water and the cheese ( which can be my downfall) didn't appeal because I wasn't hungry yet for dinner and I made myself listen to my body's cues. I felt like I'd grown!  I tell you what though, some people got pretty defensive about their food choices after I explained what I was doing. I had made a point of telling my close friends what I was doing so that they'd know not to bring me treats etc but the wider circle from school were making those lame jokes about " i'd rather enjoy myself and live a little",  "Life's too short for that nonsense", "What is this " nil by mouth?"  They weren't being nasty but they did think I was raining on the party! Oh well.... Here's to a beautiful weekend of lamb shanks!

Crazy how people allow THEIR enjoyment of an event to be impacted by what someone else puts in their mouth. Good for you for staying your course. :)

Oh my goodness, last night turned into a CLUSTER! I went to a concert with some friends for one of my favorite bands, and randomly ran into another friend. As we were hanging out on the bus after the show, the friend we ran into (Tim) realized his car had been towed.

Without other options, I ended up agreeing to take him to get his car from the tow yard. Only they refused to release it because his insurance card doesn't have the VIN for his vehicle on it (company car thru a lease program, insurance covers anything he's driving). So after trying to find a solution for an hour, I ended up having to drop him off at an IHOP to wait for a notary. I didn't get home til 5am. Ouch!!!

Just woke up at 11 and had a compliant breakfast. Ready to tackle the day, although I'll likely need a nap!

Oh - but I was REALLY proud of myself last night too!

1. At the bar and only drank water!

2. Got to tell multiple people about Whole30!

3. Made brownies for my friends in the band so I could get some of the baking supplies out of my house (I bake for people a lot). While making them I realized just how many bites, licks, tastes I take while baking/cooking. My impulse was to lick the whisk, lick the chocolate off of my fingers after putting the Reese's cups in the brownies, and to taste one as I was packing up. I didn't do any, but it really opened my eyes to some bad habits! Thankful for Whole30 for AWARENESS of nothing else!

Keep up the great work, everyone!  We're over the hardest part.  I'm on Day 7 and just had a great 60 minute run - the first run all week that didn't feel sluggish.  I had so many endorphins kicking in during my run, I found myself planning the next race, and the next, and the next, all the way from 10ks to a marathon and maybe even a triathlon next year.  I'm starting to feel invincible (my favorite part of Whole30) and that is AWESOME.

My tiger blood is kicking in early probably because I have been done several Whole30's in the last year, and my eating has been OK in between… but when I start going down that slippery slope of old habits, it is time for a reset.  Stick with it, everyone, because good things are right around the corner!

Oh - but I was REALLY proud of myself last night too!

1. At the bar and only drank water!

2. Got to tell multiple people about Whole30!

3. Made brownies for my friends in the band so I could get some of the baking supplies out of my house (I bake for people a lot). While making them I realized just how many bites, licks, tastes I take while baking/cooking. My impulse was to lick the whisk, lick the chocolate off of my fingers after putting the Reese's cups in the brownies, and to taste one as I was packing up. I didn't do any, but it really opened my eyes to some bad habits! Thankful for Whole30 for AWARENESS of nothing else!

Great job, Monee!

I am quite frankly amazing myself.  It is the end of day 6 and I am determined! Woo Hoo!

My successes:

• Had friends over to my house. Ordered pizza and breadsticks for the kids, picked it up, smelled it the whole way home and brought it into the house. Didn't eat a piece or even feel tempted too! Made myself a salad with shrimp and sat sipping my Lacroix while they drank beer and wine. 
  • Tonight I went to a party to watch fireworks and ate a compliant dinner before and my good friend Lacroix was there.

I realized this week that I am not really hungry. That has been an issue for me...I think. When I think about my old habits I would snack on sugary, crunchy, carb loaded snacks. Now that they are off the menu, it doesn't seem necessary to snack at all. 

My biggest struggle has been eating enough vegetables and fruit. I tend to prepare the protein portion of a meal, love nuts and then fill in with veggies. I need to figure out how to be more successful with getting in more veggies. I am kind of a picky eater when it comes to veggies. I can only eat so many cucumbers...

Feeling great overall. A couple of headaches. I sometimes feel a tad feverish....almost like my inner furnace is burning.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Ava

Yay everyone - we seem to be going along well and we're almost finished our first week.  I'm quite sure anyone looking at me would not see any physical difference since last Sunday but oh my goodness I feel like a different person on the inside!  

• Moderators

My biggest struggle has been eating enough vegetables and fruit. I tend to prepare the protein portion of a meal, love nuts and then fill in with veggies. I need to figure out how to be more successful with getting in more veggies. I am kind of a picky eater when it comes to veggies. I can only eat so many cucumbers...

Ava

Hi, Ava! Congrats on your successes so far.

Now about the vegetables -- google whole30 picky eater and you can find lots of past discussions on this with suggestions, but the biggest suggestion is that you stop thinking of yourself as a picky eater. You're an adult and you can choose not to be picky.

There are so many vegetables out there, and so many different ways to prepare them, you are bound to find some that you like a lot.

Think about the vegetables you don't like. How were they prepared? Is it that they were boiled or steamed with no added flavor or fat? Or cooked to the point they were soggy and mushy? Because no vegetables ever have to taste that way.

Most vegetables are better roasted. Try roasted cauliflower sometime, it's completely different than raw cauliflower or even steamed. Try zucchini chopped up raw in salad, and then try it sometime in this recipe: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/ It's like two different vegetables.

Avacado - congrats on the successes! Doesn't it fee great?!?

I got a good start to day 7 with an awesome breakfast and some good sleep! Today I'll be cleaning out a couple of rooms in my house and prepping for next week!

I'm still finishing up all of the food I prepped last weekend, so I know how important it is to have that food prepped - totally takes the guess work and laziness out of eating.

I've learned I need to have a few more veggies in the house too - and too think that last weekend I thought I bought too much! Ha ha!

Hope y'all have a wonderful Sunday!

I tell you what though, some people got pretty defensive about their food choices after I explained what I was doing. I had made a point of telling my close friends what I was doing so that they'd know not to bring me treats etc but the wider circle from school were making those lame jokes about " i'd rather enjoy myself and live a little", "Life's too short for that nonsense", "What is this " nil by mouth?" They weren't being nasty but they did think I was raining on the party! Oh well.... Here's to a beautiful weekend of lamb shanks!

I've been trying to find a good way to explain Whole30 to friends and family in a way that doesn't make them defensive. It always comes out sounding like I'm being dismissive of the Whole30 ("It's just this silly thing I'm doing!"), which isn't want I want either. Has anyone here found a good way to talk about the Whole30 that people respond well to?

I've been trying to find a good way to explain Whole30 to friends and family in a way that doesn't make them defensive. It always comes out sounding like I'm being dismissive of the Whole30 ("It's just this silly thing I'm doing!"), which isn't want I want either. Has anyone here found a good way to talk about the Whole30 that people respond well to?

I generally don't share, but if people ask, I say I'm eating meat, chicken, fish, lots of vegetables and healthy fats beacause I find I feel much better when I eat this way. If you're on your first Whole30, you could tweak this to say you're trying this nutritional reset for a month and see if it helps improve x or reduce/remove y health challenges.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!  We are almost through our first week!!  Yay!

Day 7 was great for me.  We started out walking up town to this new bakery for Father's Day breakfast..... My family got sticky buns and chocolate croissants and I got black coffee and ate a banana on the way.  I wasn't even tempted... Even to smell the bag!  We walked home and I cooked them bacon and eggs.  Then cleaned the skillet because the bacon wasn't compliant and made myself eggs, sweet potatoes and spinach.  

Next we went to a father's day pool party.  I packed my own food and brought raw veggies and dip for appetizer.  I snacked on some raw veggies without dip.  I happily ate my own lunch, despite the 3000 questions and the sad look on my father-in-law's face because he made special salmon burgers (which sounded delicious but had breadcrumbs).  I drank about 6 giant glasses of lemon water instead of wine or beer or wine coolers.  Then passed on dessert.  I almost had strawberries but thought at the last second to ask if there was sugar on them... And there was.  Who needs sugar on strawberries????! 

We swam and had so much fun and it was 6pm before we knew it.  I didn't have any hint of the 3pm slump!  I didn't even think about having coffee or tea or anything midday!  

When we got home, because I didn't eat and drink myself silly at the party I had some leftover taco salad with fresh salsa, avocado and jalapenos.  It was delish!!  

I feel great.  Even my husband said I didn't seem at all grumpy today!  WIN!!! 

Funny story... I was having a dream about not giving in to a craving and when we woke up this morning my husband said I screamed 'High-Five" in my sleep last night!  

Trying to meal plan now... Did anyone read the new book?  What are your quick go to meals for just in case you get home late or don't feel like cooking?  I need some inspiration!  

Keep up the good work!  

Meghan

p.s. sorry for the overabundance of exclamation points, I just feel great!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!  We are almost through our first week!!  Yay!

Day 7 was great for me.  We started out walking up town to this new bakery for Father's Day breakfast..... My family got sticky buns and chocolate croissants and I got black coffee and ate a banana on the way.  I wasn't even tempted... Even to smell the bag!  We walked home and I cooked them bacon and eggs.  Then cleaned the skillet because the bacon wasn't compliant and made myself eggs, sweet potatoes and spinach.  

Next we went to a father's day pool party.  I packed my own food and brought raw veggies and dip for appetizer.  I snacked on some raw veggies without dip.  I happily ate my own lunch, despite the 3000 questions and the sad look on my father-in-law's face because he made special salmon burgers (which sounded delicious but had breadcrumbs).  I drank about 6 giant glasses of lemon water instead of wine or beer or wine coolers.  Then passed on dessert.  I almost had strawberries but thought at the last second to ask if there was sugar on them... And there was.  Who needs sugar on strawberries????! 

We swam and had so much fun and it was 6pm before we knew it.  I didn't have any hint of the 3pm slump!  I didn't even think about having coffee or tea or anything midday!  

When we got home, because I didn't eat and drink myself silly at the party I had some leftover taco salad with fresh salsa, avocado and jalapenos.  It was delish!!  

I feel great.  Even my husband said I didn't seem at all grumpy today!  WIN!!! 

Funny story... I was having a dream about not giving in to a craving and when we woke up this morning my husband said I screamed 'High-Five" in my sleep last night!  

Trying to meal plan now... Did anyone read the new book?  What are your quick go to meals for just in case you get home late or don't feel like cooking?  I need some inspiration!  

Keep up the good work!  

Meghan

p.s. sorry for the overabundance of exclamation points, I just feel great!

I love that - Hi - Five!

Archived