Salami

PaleoTori

Today on Twitter an account by the name of PaleoViz retweeted the picture I took of my lunch. Some random person I don't know saw it and tweeted me with "processed meat is not Paleo!"

Now I thought because the salami I bought is organic, no nitrates, hormones, etc -- and dry cured with just some spices, that it was safe to eat. There's nothing on the label that would make me think otherwise. The brand is Applegate Genoa organic salami.

Can anyone help me out with this? I'm not starting the Whole30 over again because of some salami but if it's not compatible with the Whole30 I'll quit buying it.

The word "paleo" is a label for a framework of a philosophy to eating and living that is pretty varied. While there are similarities and consistencies through the community, there is no definition that is universally accepted. The whole30 plan is not an attempt to define and adhere to such a label. It's focused on health-promoting foods that don't have negative side effects. Plain and simple. There are a lot of strong opinions in the "paleo" community but I wouldn't pay much mind to it. Stick to your whole30 framework on making good food choices and you're fine. If your salami passed the ingredients review, then eat some salami and don't worry about twitter!

The word "paleo" is a label for a framework of a philosophy to eating and living that is pretty varied. While there are similarities and consistencies through the community, there is no definition that is universally accepted. The whole30 plan is not an attempt to define and adhere to such a label. It's focused on health-promoting foods that don't have negative side effects. Plain and simple. There are a lot of strong opinions in the "paleo" community but I wouldn't pay much mind to it. Stick to your whole30 framework on making good food choices and you're fine. If your salami passed the ingredients review, then eat some salami and don't worry about twitter!

Thank you very much. Super helpful.

Archived