Gas ovens???

Mitch55

I don't have a gas stove right now-- stuck on electric -- but I prefer gas over electric. When I don't use Broil, I typically crank up the heat for the last 10 minutes or so to crisp up whatever I am cooking -- like crisping chicken. If you are looking to have a brown piece of meat, like a thick steak or a roast, you can brown it on the stove top and move it to the oven to finish. 

• 2 weeks later...

not that it makes a difference if you don't have a broiler. But I have found no matter what kind of stove/oven etc. An additional oven thermometer is an amazing addition to any kitchen. I have one that sits inside- but hoping to get a hanging one(sitting one is always falling over on the job) ;)   I was finding my dishes/baked goods, etc were taking an additional 20 minutes to bake- and the obvious "checks" prolonged it. Resulting in less than desired turn out- over dry. Turns out my oven is not up to temp when it beeps to tell me is it.  (it might be in like one spot) ;)  But after I got an oven thermometer - no more annoying prolonged cook times with varied results.   At the very least- a troubleshooting. 

• Moderators

Does anyone use one successfully???

There is no broil, so I wonder how I'm going to pull off some of these recipes... Everything takes longer also, at least in mine... Thanks for any input

I've never actually used a gas oven, but I hear some have a broiler drawer underneath instead of a broil setting -- I don't know how you'd know, though, or how it works.

For a broiling alternative if all you need is something to crisp/brown the top, you could look for the kind of torch you'd use to caramelize the top of creme brulee, I think they're just little butane torches. Just don't light your food on fire or burn the house down or anything.

Someone once told me "Amazing things happen when you open your eyes"...

Salmon jump, Eagles fly, Lightning strikes... Broil buttons appear on your oven right next to the bake button you have used repeatedly for pizza and other "foods" for a year...

"I am Male... I do not claim the ability or desire to read instructions"... Man #1... "OOH OOH AAH FIRE HOT"

Archived